Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The high fuel consumption problem appears to be solved.

Faulty Inhibitor Switch on the Transmission!

·
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its the switch that reports to the ECU what gear the transmission is in apparently...

When it was faulty it was stopping the torque converter from locking.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
jaytyn said:
its the switch that reports to the ECU what gear the transmission is in apparently...

When it was faulty it was stopping the torque converter from locking.
Can you notice the difference with the inhibitor switch replaced, ie does the car feel more relaxed when cruising(the engine doesn't sound too elastic bandish), reason why i'm asking is i might have to findout if dads car might need this switched replaced. At 120km/h the trans should lockup, but it doesn't seem to do it.

·
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
EF_Falcon_GuY said:

Can you notice the difference with the inhibitor switch replaced, ie does the car feel more relaxed when cruising(the engine doesn't sound too elastic bandish), reason why i'm asking is i might have to findout if dads car might need this switched replaced. At 120km/h the trans should lockup, but it doesn't seem to do it.
Hi EF,

Well I havent really took my car on speeds over 100's since it was in the accident.

I have been in town, I am waiting to get a weekend off work, so I can go for a drive to Wagga for the day.. (2 hours away).

How can you tell when the transmissin locks?

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
jaytyn said:

Hi EF,

Well I havent really took my car on speeds over 100's since it was in the accident.

I have been in town, I am waiting to get a weekend off work, so I can go for a drive to Wagga for the day.. (2 hours away).

How can you tell when the transmissin locks?
Well the way the transmission locks via the lockup clutch, it feels direct when you accelerate, just like a manual in gear. However when the lockup clutch is not locked the revs will rev up around 500 rpm before speed increases to make the pulling more pronounced. I hope what i'm saying makes sense.

Jaytyn,
So i take it after they replaced the switch yuo didn't really feel any different in the way the tranny changes gears, holds the revs or kickdown.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts