Ford Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 Grand Marquis I bought new. Always ran fine until recently. When started cold first time in the morning it revs up to 2200-2500 rpm for about 20 - 30 seconds. It makes some noise until it idles down. This does not have an IAC. I think it is the first year of electric throttle body. I have sprayed carb clean to check for vacuum leaks. Swapped out throttle body, coolant temp sensor, maf. Same result. After engine is warmed up it runs just fine. It only happens on cold start up. I took it to the local Ford dealer to check. They said it was ok. But for the next day after picking it up it ran fine- no high idle. The day after it went back to the high idle. They must have wiggled the right wire. I have had no luck fixing it. My basic scanner shows no codes and shows the sensors reading. Any ideas would be great.

·
Super Moderator
9,772 Posts
Warm up idle is based off of the coolant temp sensor, check those wires first.

·
Registered
2014 Ford Mustang V6
1 Posts
I have an 05 Grand Marquis I bought new. Always ran fine until recently. When started cold first time in the morning it revs up to 2200-2500 rpm for about 20 - 30 seconds. It makes some noise until it idles down. This does not have an IAC. I think it is the first year of electric throttle body. I have sprayed carb clean to check for vacuum leaks. Swapped out throttle body, coolant temp sensor, maf. Same result. After engine is warmed up it runs just fine. It only happens on cold start up. I took it to the local Ford dealer to check. They said it was ok. But for the next day after picking it up it ran fine- no high idle. The day after it went back to the high idle. They must have wiggled the right wire. I have had no luck fixing it. My basic scanner shows no codes and shows the sensors reading. Any ideas would be great.
Be sure and listen to all the dings when turning the key on, then start car especially in the cold weather. That allows the car to set all its sensors for current weather conditions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts