Ford Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '93 302 purchased rebuilt short block then purchased GT40P heads rebuilt. I purchased a high-rise intake for a carb. I cannot get the intake manifold to sit flush both sides, the ridges at upper portion of the heads will not allow. I explained my intended use when I ordered the intake. I presume this intake may be for an earlier 289-302. Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
1,528 Posts
Do you have any pics of said bumps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
22,972 Posts
Contact your supplier and explain the problem , either for replacement or refund

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have any pics of said bumps?
The ridges are part of the GT40P casting where valve covers rest. Presently looking for the invoice. Thanks for the reply. I have too much invested, and too much anticipation of the performance of my "71 Comet to give up

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to the vendor who provided the high-rise intake, they state that SBF engines that have ridge on the GT40P heads will occasionally experience fitment problems and some of the aluminum edging in the intake manifold must be ground off to accommodate the manifold to fit properly. Time to take out my file and/or grinder.

·
Super Moderator
1,528 Posts
What intake are you using? I can’t find any information on these ridges.

·
Super Moderator
22,972 Posts
According to the vendor who provided the high-rise intake, they state that SBF engines that have ridge on the GT40P heads will occasionally experience fitment problems and some of the aluminum edging in the intake manifold must be ground off to accommodate the manifold to fit properly. Time to take out my file and/or grinder.
Thanks for updating the forum , might help others

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What intake are you using? I can’t find any information on these ridges.

It is an Assult brand through a very well known speed supplier. The GT40P heads protrude inward from casting for valve covers to seat. the Heads are FOMOCO legit, Intake is imperfect in terms of fit.

·
Super Moderator
1,528 Posts
Gotcha, I’m just curious since I’ve never heard of this issue. As long as you can make it fit great. It looks to be a rebranded Speedmaster intake which is a copy of the Edelbrock intake.

·
Super Moderator
22,972 Posts
It is an Assult brand through a very well known speed supplier. The GT40P heads protrude inward from casting for valve covers to seat. the Heads are FOMOCO legit, Intake is imperfect in terms of fit.
Good further info is very helpful (y)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is some follow up from my last question about my GT40P heads not allowing new high-rise intake to fit. The speed shop supplier advised me to trim some aluminum from both sides of the intake edges. I took Intake manifold gasket and laid them onto the intake and marked the excess portion that the gasket does not protrude onto. I ground
off approximately a 16th of an inch from both sides, checked it with a metal ruler then blew off the intake to remove any grindings. The intake fits perfectly. See picture. Thanks!
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Engineering Electric blue

1 - 11 of 11 Posts