Ford Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EA Head changed, hissing occurring

Guys,
just had my head gasket go and so head gasket and new head have been put into my CFI EA. Thing is, there is now a hissing sound I can hear within the cabin. I've narrowed it down to the heater/cooler unit in the dash. When it's in the white zone it's hissing, if I drop it down to the blue (cool) it disappears altogether, if I move it all the way up to red (warm) it is faint.

Now, bit o' history. My EA has never run cool, but as of late certain discoveries have resolved the problem but the consequences of it running warmer than normal have led to the head gasket going.

Now, the actual heater unit is stuck on 'face' and won't change to windshield or foot well at all. When I used to have the air-con on, it would cool to a certain extent and when I turned it off and put the level from blue(Cool) to white I'd hear the hiss as if some pressure was released but now I am hearing the hissing constantly.

So when I got home I checked under the bonnet and noticed 2 things.

1) Standing at the front of the car looking at the engine bay, directly to my right, in that little well (where normally the air box for an EFI model is) there are 2 red tubes coming out of the 'firewall?'. The short hose is connected to a metal tubing that travels to the back of engine bay, the other longer tube is just hanging and it seems to have snapped off from somewhere. Trouble is, I can't figure out where it goes. Seems to have some rusty liquid remnants on the end that it has been disconnected from, assuming that this was some sort of cooling for the air-con?

2) there is another black hose there from the same area that is just free willying it too. That's all I've seen at this point with a torch in the garage at night.

Any help would be appreciated to figure out what these nuisances are before I go to a mechanic and get charged an hours labour to find the issues for me. And before anyone says anything, the head work was done from a sort-of family friend who does head work but after this bad taste in my mouth I don't really want to go back and complain because he did help me out with a good price and I think these issues were there before his work and I just hadn't noticed.

Thanks in advance,
Big Steve.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Error code 22 - MAP sensor out of range.

Ok folks, let me clarify, there are actually TWO hissing problems that are most likely entirely separate. I don't want to start an entirely new thread but for some reason I can't change the title or this article to better reflect the main problem which I may have solved.

1) hissing in cabin, something to do with the heater/air con, will investigate soon.

2) hissing in engine bay, was a broken cap that goes on a tiny little plug that sits under the tennis racket. It is connected to the same bit of plastic that the thicker hose from the top of the rocker cover connects to. I tracked down the hissing, put my thumb on the opening, felt the suction and the idle went immediately to normal. Not sure what the part is but I just added a bit of hose to it and a screw for now. Seems to do the trick, for now.

I did the EEC-IV test and came up with the following, before the above idel fix:

Key On Engine Off

22 - MAP sensor out of range?
10 - Separator

Key On Engine On
50 - 3.9 litre CFI Automatic
21 - Coolant sensor out of range

Ok, so I disconnected the coolant sensor, checked the connections and plugged it back in, it didn't show up the second time but the MAP sensor codes are still appearing.

Can anyone direct me into the right direction with this? What part is that little plug that I need to replace as my fix might still be affecting the sensor somewhat. Otherwise, what are the other symptoms I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance,
Steve.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, seems fixing that little plug has done the trick. Drove to work this morning and car was idling beautifully at each stop and nicely when i needed to switch the engine off. On the way home i had to make sure the car was still on it was so quiet and smooth.

So, about 5 minutes ago, I'd thought I'd give the self test another whirl. Woot, no more 22 (MAP sensor out of range) but 21 has now returned (Coolant sensor out of range). Obviously this would me a faulty sensor or wiring. How much are these things to replace?

Also, I want to get this fixed as my temp gauge moves around alot from the middle of the N to middle of the M and back again, keeps moving, but slowly, not jumping. Either this sensor is playing funny buggers or the thermostat is in need of repair. Any more suggestions from you kind folk?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, latest update. Temp gauge sits nicely on the O and only moves ever so slightly left or right. Will have to check how it performs on a hot day and with the Australian Open coming up, the usual order of 40degree heat should be on its way.

Anyway, back to the topic again. I pulled the entire dash out tonight to find the hissing and it is coming from the back of the heater unit. Facing the unit, on the right hand back side there is a little collection of 3 tubes. Top one is connected, bottom is connected, nothing connected to the middle one. Now when moving the slider to the middle (white) section the hissing comes from the middle tube connector that has no hose connected. I looked everywhere but could not find any disconnected hose at all. If it's fallen down the back along the firewall then I got further archeology to perform. If i put my finger on the socket, the hissing stops obviously.

From experience, does anyone know if this needs to be connected. The colored batch of tubes connects to the heater unit and travels behind the glovebox and out of through the firewall. I tracked down a blue-green (almost teal) colored tube. If I squeeze this tube, it also stops the hissing.

Now the fun part begins, trying to trace the now black tubes as they emerge in the engine bay, I find two hoses that are not connected and I don't know where they are supposed to connected to. One of these hoses is actually clear. Is anyone able to take a digi-snap of their engine bay showing these hoses coming out of the firewall, top right, back of the engine bay, and where they connect to?

Anybody have any other suggestions of what to look for?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

·
Super Moderator
3,722 Posts
Three tubes in engine bay connect as follows:

two Blacks to vaccum distribution control valve just behinf CFI "carburettor" (the two tube should jooin with a T or Y piece.
Turquoise to heater tap hanging on heater pipe low to ground near firewall.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aussiblue said:

two Blacks to vaccum distribution control valve just behinf CFI "carburettor" (the two tube should jooin with a T or Y piece.
Fantastic stuff, hooked them up as mentioned and hissing has disappeared.

You guys are fantastic.

Cheers,
Steve

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Aussiblue said:

Aussie blue, while you're at under the bonnet, can you let me know where the two red hoses for the air conditioning that pop out of the bottom firewall are connected to. One is connected to a black metal pipe directly above the outlet yet my other one is just hanging in the engine bay.

There is also a black hose, looks like an overflow of sorts, that is just in there as well. I really need to choose the people who do my head gaskets more wisely. but hey, I've learnt heaps in the past few days than I have in the past few years about my EA.

Cheers,
steve

·
Super Moderator
3,722 Posts
My head is in the factory manual not under the bonnet as I don't have a CFI car and both my cars have climate control. Anyhow are we talking vacuum hoses or something else this time?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Aussiblue said:
My head is in the factory manual not under the bonnet as I don't have a CFI car and both my cars have climate control. Anyhow are we talking vacuum hoses or something else this time?
Blue,
I dunno if they're vacuum hoses or not. But they look like red braided hoses of sorts. There is 2. On a CFI car, the come out of the base of the engine bay under where your air filter resides if I am not mistaken, just to the right of the air conditioner unit. There is a pic online somewhere of these hoses but not what they connect to.

Ahh found it, see these two reddish brown hoses below his left hand in this image of the engine bay

You can see the black metal tubing going above the top of the shocker asssembly, one of the red hoses is connected to that, where is the other red hose connected to.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

·
Super Moderator
3,722 Posts
Ok with you now. They are the fuel evaporation hoses. They come from the carbon cannister inside the front LH fender and one goes to the black metal hose that goes to the fuel tank the other goes to CANP (Cannister purge valve) and from there to the front of the CFI carburettor. The CANP is chrome coloured [Edit: cadmium coloured with a chrome sticker indicating flow direction] and has two wires connected to it. If the CANP isn't there as a) the sometimes fail and b) if the are not held in mid air by the red hoses and contact the body work they convey and annoying rapid ticking sound on acceleration to the cabin.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Aussiblue said:
Ok with you now. They are the fuel evaporation hoses. They come from the carbon cannister inside the front LH fender and one goes to the black metal hose that goes to the fuel tank the other goes to CANP (Cannister purge valve) and from there to the front of the CFI carburettor. The CANP is chrome coloured [Edit: cadmium coloured with a chrome sticker indicating flow direction] and has two wires connected to it. If the CANP isn't there as a) the sometimes fail and b) if the are not held in mid air by the red hoses and contact the body work they convey and annoying rapid ticking sound on acceleration to the cabin.
Ok, we're almost there. I can see the CANP. Mine is connected at the base, just as the hose pops out of the carbon cannister through the engine fender.

BUT, when you say the front of the CFI carburettor, where exactly from the front? I've got a sneeking suspicion that the little vacuum hose outlet I plugged up is the same one you are talking about but i want to be sure. Sorry to do this but can you be a little more specific as to where it connects to, or could yourself or someone else with a CFI and a digicam provide a snapshot of this hose?

Thanks again, we're almost there, I can feel it.

Cheers,
Steve

·
Super Moderator
3,722 Posts
Don't have CFI and the pics in all the manuals are unclear but front (radiator) side of carbi close to head. It's just a vacuum source so I think you are right about the one you plugged.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts