Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Mr Sensible...
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any more information about the EA GT. Apart from the basics that are already avaliable on the internet- 351 Windsor ? EFI V8- Gearbox ? Diff ? est- 350HP any unpublished test figures. As far as the information that does exists the car was canned due to cooling problems (why did they use a standard radiator who knows?) and the limited output meaning little or no profit or was it more than that? There seems to be more information out there on the GTHO Phase IV than this car which has attracted allot (and possibly some others here) interests. Does any body have any more info on the car or could concur with information- even photos of the motor and all. I hope that oneday I could build a real working replica of the car minus all the bugs but anyway somebody must have more information about the car out there- websites , books, hey anything....! :bang:

·
"Steve has a car?"
2,207 Posts
Origionally about 10 prototypes, all but one were crushed, was origionally red without a bodykit, was saved from being crushed by a group of TAFE students who restored it and made it look purdy. Engine developed by Rouch (spl?) ummm that's about all I know....

·
E-Series Cameraman
1,388 Posts
Full race prepared suspension as well. It was canned due to the fact that it wasn't cost effective to produce in low volumes, or something to that effect. I don't think it was just the cooling system, but one of the problems with getting it on the road. I mean they had problems cooling the 6 cylinder down!

Alex

·
Fu(kn Slow & Low
479 Posts
cooling and that puting a v8 on the productionline wasnt seen as a good move because it was only to be used in the gt not normal falcons, bloody idiots, ford apparently made somewere around 15 xf twin turbos (which dick joshnson pushed for production) too but never put them into production. again bloody idiots. ea turbos werent advertised nearly as much as they should have been. bloody idiots. i think i have an article lying around about the ea gt, if i can find it ill post it up.

·
feed me hey
4,692 Posts
A friend of mine has driven the EA GT on the road. Among his comments were 'I was in 4th gear and it was off the clock. I still had another gear to go' Sounds like she was a great car to drive!

·
5.0 ED Wagon
123 Posts
I've got an old Street Machine mag somewhere with that red Falcon in it with the LTD alloys on it. From memory, because of the taller block of the 351, the Ford engineers cried because of its clearances with the rest of the engine bay. If only they could see into the future with what they have done with the Boss engine in the BA. This was the reason why they didnt do it, along with cooling probs, as reported in the magazine. I'll try to find the mag, its somewhere??? The engine was a Roush prepared motor putting out something like 225kW. Would've been a true GT, more so than the EB and EL.

·
feed me hey
4,692 Posts
I suppose at the time EA was released they would have been working on EF and EL by that stage so maybe an EA GT wouldn't have fitted in with the scheme of things.

·
Fu(kn Slow & Low
479 Posts
still cant find that article im going to try to email ford to find out what info they have on it.

·
Mr Sensible...
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info folks. A Few gaps a filled but it seems there are many many more. I was wondering probably the only way to find out more about the project would be from sombody or somebodies from Ford. There's got to be somebody out there..! Also does any one know the Roush US website?
That probably be a start for me so I could get some info on the motor used and also possibly the people who worked on it, then again the people in Ford Australia who were involved. Well its a start here to get some info which could well turn out to be interesting. So if anybody knows anything or anyone to contact please let me know. NZ somebody drove the car you knew and I knew it certainly was a beast ! Who was it? Hey these could be the clues I and we are looking for?

·
E-Series wagon owner
1,929 Posts

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
EA_GHIA_2NV said:
cooling and that puting a v8 on the productionline wasnt seen as a good move because it was only to be used in the gt not normal falcons, bloody idiots, ford apparently made somewere around 15 xf twin turbos (which dick joshnson pushed for production) too but never put them into production. again bloody idiots. ea turbos werent advertised nearly as much as they should have been. bloody idiots. i think i have an article lying around about the ea gt, if i can find it ill post it up.
To sum it up: Bloody idiots!

That EA would have been great to go down in history as a limited production car. Dammit Ford, DAMMIT!

·
400 kg ego
6,188 Posts
:wtf2: Damn idiots. :wtf2: (just thought I'd join in)

The Wheels article of the original red test car was scanned by XA Coupe from memory. Anyway, I have uploaded it:

http://ford.i8.com/phase5/

·
D.T.A
246 Posts
I've actually got some VERY close engine bay shots of this great beast, and Yes as soon as I find em I'll post em up here for veiwing! How'd I get them you may ask?? Simple I told the guy at the ford Centre that I wanted to do a replica soon (Too True!!) And asked him how would I go about getting some engine bay pics etc.. of the 351 conversion etc only to be told follow me, He lead me to the beasty and proceded to open all doors and bonnet for me and I was told go ahead climb in it if you want!!!! I think I burned about 3 rolls of 26 film on just that beast!! We were with the guy for a good 45mins just crawling over and under this thing looking at every detail! She sits VERY low too just on the 100mm from the polished floors!! The body kit was aparently a bitsa from the rear wing and front spoiler / bumper from Phase autos in melb to custom side skirts made inhouse at ford from modified Phase autos ones! I plan to Build a replica of this greatly ahead of it's time beastie but mine will be alloy headed and stroked to 435 cuin!!!
The engine to shock tower clearance isn't great but it's about the same as a clevo in a xd-e engine bay as for cooling problems yes that was an issue mainly due to lack of frontal flow through the engine bay to dispense the excess heat, but all problems could have been over came with some logical thinking such as 3 pass radiator etc.. The Motor fits well into the engine bay & really does suit it. The car was originally sent to the states wearing red paint to Rouch Industries www.roushind.com/html/index.html in the states fitted the F-150 windsor to the prototype and then flew it back to ford for evaluation tests etc.. Then after it was deemed to be crushed some workers at the ford proving grounds pulled a swifty and stored it in the back lot sheds of the proving gorund till the ford discovery cetre was due to open then a TAFE resoration of the vehicle was ordered (ford bosses didn't even know it was around as it was for all intensive purposes crushed!!)
Chassis flex was also a minor problem because it was only supposed to be a 350bhp power plant but had owners started to tinker with them by breaking out a SVO (Usa) catalogue and start really unleashing the potential power of these motors then they would have a reall problem, Myself I plan to do a integral (built into the body) 12- 14 point rollcage which an engineer says would be more than sufficient to stop any chassis problems that would be encounted with this engine, Ideally fitting smaller alloy struts and carve out the shock tower for clearance would be a good start!
Also the major Problem encountered back in 88 Was Brakes or rather the lack of em! Back then 1988 single piston calipers were standard on all the big cars made in australia and things like 4 spot calipers and 330mm cross drilled and slotted rotors were nearly a $6000 price tag! Nowadays even twinspots on the AU's etc would've been great but back then you only have to add the cost of the engine transplant, necessary cooling plus brakes, exhaust emmissions costs etc all the bean counters just shock there heads No to what would've been another ford Icon But sadly it was not to be!
Anyway drop us a reply if ya have a few more questions etc.. and Yes Photos soon!
cheers
Nev

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
sounds good :s6:
cant wait!!! :hy:

·
D.T.A
246 Posts
Just posted some pics Of The Mighty Beast in my gallery So feel free to download em' etc.. will post more of the ones I took soon! One I do then all of the EA GT photos will be condensed down to around the 33k size. Plus I've got four 330k very good photos but wont post em but drop us an email and I'll send em to ya [email protected] remember to tell me what your after as I get quite a few emails a day!
http://www.fordgallery.com/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/11331
Enjoy
cheers
Nev

·
XR82GO
1,539 Posts
I just found a web site dunno how acurate the info is but its here anyways. Looks like a pretty cool site....

Info from http://www.eafalcon.com/eseries/gts/[/b]

THE EA GT
"In 1990, Ford Australia's engineers created a heavily modified EA Falcon prototype, which revived the GT badge that had not been seen since the XB series of the mid '70s. Powered by a 5.8 litre (351 cubic inch) Windsor V8 with an estimated power figure of more than 300 horsepower, the EA GT drove through a 5 speed manual transmission and was equipped with a limited slip differential. Fully race prepared suspension gave it the handling to match its acceleration.

However, the project was axed before the car reached production. There were concerns over its cramped under-bonnet space not allowing adequate engine cooling – which had been a problem for even six cylinder EAs. And the cost of bringing a totally new engine to the EA production line for a single, expensive, low volume model, sadly, could not be justified.

Still, a V8 went into mass production the following year with the EB's launch, and remained an option for Falcon buyers ever since. An even wilder-looking, 5.0 V8-powered EB series II "25th Anniversary" Falcon GT surfaced in late 1992.

After years of neglect, the EA GT prototype was restored in 1999 by students at the Gordon Institute of TAFE in Geelong. It remains on permanent display at Ford's Discovery Centre."

Specifications

Built: 1990
Price: Not Applicable
Body: 4 Door Sedan
Total Built: One
Engine: 5.8 litre (351 Cubic Inch) Windsor V8, specially prepared by Rouche Engineering, USA
Power: Undisclosed, but estimated to be in excess of 300bhp
Transmission: 5 speed race-type manual
Suspension: Fully race prepared
Front: Independent with coils, dampers and roll bar
Rear: Floating axle, hotchkiss type with inclined dampers and roll bar
Brakes: Power assisted four wheel discs
Final Drive: Rear, Limited Slip Differential

They have info on the eb gt and the el gt as well on this site....

For full size pics go to the link at top of post

·
D.T.A
246 Posts
Ah Ha I knew I got em from somewhere thanks sylox saves me the trouble of sending out the pics! And Yep the info is correct! Also the engine bay is still painted red as they just sprayed around the tops of the guards in the colbolt blue and left the red!
They even just sprayed the original ea door handles instead of getting ford to donate so eb-d ones!
I'll have My pics that I took of it posted sometime over the long weekend! (just gotta find them!)
cheers
Nev

·
XR82GO
1,539 Posts
I still cant attach pics to posts but I have 3 more good whole car shots if some one wants me to email them to them so they can attach them to this thread let me know and i will.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Ummmm Eafalcon.com.....check what forum you're in :p

1 - 20 of 39 Posts