Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya guys, ny 1st post here. My wifes car is a 96 Mondeo 1.8 which I have been using since my Voyager is stuffed. But the heater doesnt work at all, ya get lots of cold air, but you can hear the vent flap working. The pipe from the thermostat housing feels hot. As the flap can be heard moving and there is no problem with air distribution to the vents, does it mean that the matrix needs replacing. If so, is this a common failure point?
Oh yeah this mondeo has 173,000 miles on it. Never thought a Mondy could handle that :)

Any help appreciated.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Hi chrali and welcome to Ford Forums. Great to have you here. The mondy sure has put the miles on. Your wife must use it a fair bit hehe.

As for the heat prob err. I'm wondering if there is a tap or valve in the system that is switched on/off by vacum that may be blocked or seized. I'm not sure if the Mondy's have one but quite a few cars do.. Does anyone else know???.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ta for the welcome ,

As for a valve of somesort the Haynes leads me to think that only air con equipped cars use vacum valves for the heating.

I guess the only thing to do is see If the heater matrix itself gets hot.

I forgot to say, that although the temp gauage can read normal, its mostly cold and there is evidence of coolant loss from the expansion tank cap. So I will change the thermostat and tank cap as well.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Sounds like you may have some good clues as to what to start with. The matrix may not be so easy to get at tho. Usually if they pack up they just leak water everywhere. By the matrix i guess you are referring to what I call the heater core. It might be easier to remove one of the hoses going into the firewall to it and check water flow then remove the other to be sure it is going through the core and exiting again.

Keep us posted on how you are making out and good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts