why are australian new car buyers so stupid

what has a ford done so wroge to australia

that wether or not we have the best car on the market

most dont seem to care

yet as soon as holden have the best car thay cart build them farst enuff

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
I agree with you there jeffrey, it seems like aussies are queer enough to fall for the holden tactics despite what ford bring out. Ford have got a lot of catching up to do to gain the trust of individuals since the days of the cosworth.

·
Rollcage Crash Test Dummy
552 Posts
Its because ford dont make a big enough deal out of winning the championship (like holden did)...they need to if they are going to win sales...

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
jeffrey2184au said:
why are australian new car buyers so stupid

what has a ford done so wroge to australia

that wether or not we have the best car on the market

most dont seem to care

yet as soon as holden have the best car thay cart build them farst enuff
ford axed the v8 and gave us taxi's, ford pulled out of motorsport, ford held back tickford and didnt give em a real go, ford absolutly murdered the resale market....do i need to go on?

·
Just give me an excuse...
3,949 Posts
philstoj said:
ford axed the v8
hit the nail on the head with that one. A lot of people moved to holden when ford did that and haven't looked bag unfortunatly. So Ford is still playing catch up in a lot of ways. The beancounters are the driving (or reversing) force of ford!!

·
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane
3,293 Posts
let the losers drive their crapodores. you want to be a clone then fine. that only means that fords are going to be more affordable (for poor people like me lol) and you will see that the next generation of drivers will be driving fords as they can buy a newer, better car cheaper. as long as ford dont go girly with the V8 then they will eventually come back.
theres only one way to go when your at the top...and thats down!
oh and if im not mistaken i believe it was ford that mass produced the first car so all those dimwit holden drivers should be greatfull to ford for making the effort in getting the car market up and going in the first place!

·
Faster than Zyrtec
2,105 Posts
Holden can produce more cars than Ford

Other than that, its fleet sales and personal taste of the consumer. I really don't think that v8 supercar wins are going to convert to many sales, its just something for the enthusiasts to brag about down at the pub. If we take the v8 supercar theory in all seriousness, that means then for the last 5 years, I should have bought a Holden over a ford.

Plus Holden has the money, and the motivation to spend on PR and advertising. Whats the point for Ford to advertise if they are already selling everything that they are making ? Also, they have a little 500M loan to pay off for the BA and something similiar for the territory (which I suspect has the complete and undivided attention of the upper echolons of Ford Australia)

·
Faster than Zyrtec
2,105 Posts
Maybe because the majority of these "stupid" buyers dont want a falcon or commodore ?

Com'on guys, you can't reasonably expect the majority of buyers are going to drive a falcon because of its awards or v8 supercar wins. It may help for some sales, but it's not going to win (read: monopolise) such a diverse market. Just because people have different tastes, their not stupid, and if the leaders of the car industries thought the same way, well then, dare I say they would lose their market share very quickly.

·
goooone
2,708 Posts
It takes time to change peoples perceptions. Alot of people go with what they know rather then cause they are scared of change so it takes time but at least Ford are on the right path again & the people are trickling back.

·
Registered
581 Posts
MARKETING!!!!! That's the difference. As others have alluded to, Ford still have a lot of catching up to do as a result of some crap decisions from years ago, like axing the V8 so it really needs to crank up the marketing.

No-one has heard a peep from Marcos Ambrose since becoming #1. Message to Ford marketing department.... GET IT TOGETHER YOU IDIOTS!!!!!!!

Marcos should be all over the ads, something like "you can be number 1 too in one of these" as he cruises around the Thunderdome at Calder in his GT or XR8 or whatever. You get the drift. I know this sort of campaign doesn't sit well with some purists but Ford should be exploiting the fact that Marcos is the V8 Supercar champion driving a FORD, putting it out there and getting non-Ford people interested instead of preaching to the converted. Instead it's avoided this angle like the plague. Who gives a toss about some bozo wearing a Ford blazer, this "you'd be popular too" campaign is absolute shit.

Ford really need to put more in to keep the BA momentum going and put the Territory out there since it looks like a BA2 might be some time away.

One bit of good marketing. The two guys in the ute ads, first seen with an AU XR8 on the salt lake through to the RTV ads (which BTW I haven't seen for a while). That could be built upon and Ford need some fresh ute ads featuring these guys. Maybe some sort of series would be good.

Just my thoughts........

·
.au member
2,747 Posts
I agree, Ford's marketing is nowhere near as 'good' [read: prevalent] as Holdens, but to be honest I like the 'you'd be popular too' campaign:rofl:.

Its just an unfortunate fact that a lot of people have grown up with the Commodore in the driveway, and sometimes I think people's view of Falcon drivers are those in a beaten up old XF or whatever crusiing round calling it his 'shaggin waggin moit' (apologies to all XF owners!).

Ford needs to, IMHO, invent itself as a locally built prestige car - push the luxury side of the Falcon/XR/Fairlane, cos that way it has a bit more appeal than being 'just another car'.

·
Faster than Zyrtec
2,105 Posts
Well marketing costs money, everytime you see an ad prime time that tv station gets given a 5 digit sum. Also, consider that the majority of sales are fleet vehicles.

·
Abuser of Charvels
909 Posts
A big problem with peopel I find is that 'everybody' knows and recognises HSV but too many people at work either don't know FPV exist, or they know about them but don't know what the initial are and I have to tell them.

·
i pity tha fool
1,040 Posts
just need to rally support behind a brand. 1 touring car win for ford isnt gonna change anything... but 7 out of 10 champinship wins will mean theres lots of fence sitters supporting the blue oval at race meets because they win more.. theres more chance of them buying a ford over a holden because of that race support..

there are however, more holden people than ford people. which is why holden parts are generally easier to come by, cheaper, and theres more holden guys(both decent guys and dicks).. i dont see that changing anytime soon.

just need to even up the score a bit more.. publicity, race wins, clever marketing. its all needed. commodore is marketed as 'the car' to own so to speak. as if there is no choice. "australias favourite".. ford need to go for that angle.. appeal to the general consumer looking for a boat towing mobile, and to the guy who wants to peg his family car around corners, and know it'll beat the neighbours car in a drag. important to is the fleet buyers. (that comes from facts.. better cost effectiveness/savings etc)

ford - give us more adds featuring occa blokes. like the ford courier adds i.e "its got what the others are missing". they are good. wheres the falcon adds like that???

EDIT *** by mistake i said triton, then changed to say courier. ***
EDIT *** added the above line ***

·
Abuser of Charvels
909 Posts
Or the add for the Courier with the guys talking like girls at the barbie, that was an excellent add.

Though I must admit to humming the 'can't get enough of this' song when ordering my XR8 due to the excitement.

·
i pity tha fool
1,040 Posts
^yeh genebaby that was the same add.. at the end it says 'it's got what the others are missing' ... i.e. - balls. hehe funny as. love that add but it dont get played enough..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts