Ford Forums banner

41 - 60 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Racer said:
Flow at .800 lift is meaningless, especially in a street car. Its what they flow at half that lift that matters most.
For my application yes, the cam I will be running is in the .650 range and they flowed about the 350 mark at that lift. Did I say 270 I meant [email protected] with a 2.18 valve I will be using a 2.15". The reason I added the max flow was to demonstrate that the flow did not die off at higher lift ranges but kept improving(Dont forget these ARE RACE HEADS). The real flow and power potential will be realised when the heads reach OZ and the motor is actualy built and run.

·
XFFAIRMONT
367 Posts
balinor said:
Cubes,stock they flowed around the 500hp mark or just under from memory.With a little bit of work they are now flowing just over 600hp.The actual flow figures were [email protected] 600 lift at 25" of water (607hp).I have always found US figures to be horse shyte as their crate motors etc seem to lose a heap of horsepower when they hit our shores.
The worked cast iron closed chamber heads on my cleveland flow 490hp. And they are supposed to be crap heads.

·
Registered
61 Posts

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
347 said:
Why did you not go for the brodix........as per below???

CNC Brodix 202
Ported Casting 435/270 $4800.00
Fully Assembled
(with titanium hardware) $7400.00
A. cost
B. They are based loosley on Cleveland heads like the Yates heads
and all the hardware(inlet manifold, rocker covers,head studs etc..)
are for Windsor heads.
C. These are full on race heads I am adapting the Victors for the street,
the only thing that will be Racing inclined part will be the shaft rockers.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was going to yella terra platinum plus series(they make them with a 1.7, 1.6 ratio or 1.6, 1.6 ratio) these were on sale dirrect from YT for $AU900 after the SummerNAtts but were $AU1400 when I went in a month ago. I rang VPW and they could do the same set for $AU1250(there was only one set left with the 1.6I,1.6E ratio). After talking to my engine builder Garaham Cerini(TFC) and some Yanks I will probably go Jesels or T&D, these are about $US920-940 approx $AU1200 then add freight and taxes(should be able to bypass these I did with my roller lifters). I am also looking into the new Crane Pro series shaft rockers which do away with the roller bearing and use a a compposite(carbon/plastic) sleeve. Here is a link where I posted for advice on a US Mustang racing site.
http://www.nmraracing.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=148069#post148069

·
Registered
311 Posts
Whatever happened to the engines talked about in this thread (frdpwr,xr8sprint & cubes)?Any quarter mile times available for them yet?

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
balinor said:
Have these engines disappeared? Are the owners of these engines still around?
Maybe their blocks had a delay at the machine shop :hy:
Just kidding, i'm also keen to see.(especially after reading all this thread)

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
delay delays delays
my bottom end is finaly 2gether
the heads have just came back from machinist i got the chambers done

and plus cos i bought a XE ESP TURBO my money has gone into that abit

·
XFFAIRMONT
367 Posts
It'd be good to see how xr8_sprints car is goin as well. I have always wanted a dick johnson turbo, whenever i hear about somebody getting one i get real jeolous. I friend of mine who lives a few hundred kays away has just purchased one in reaonable condition for buggerall. Yet to see it, but was jealous when i heard as he already has a cobrajet 69 muzzy.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I am interested to see how these engines do too.

I have never before seen people refer to the supposed horsepower that heads are "rated' at. Please educate me if I misunderstand this, but it seems to be believed that if a cylinder head is rated at "600 HP" due to it's amount of flow that people are expecting to get 600 HP when they bolt these heads on their engine. This is stated with no regard as to other components when the heads were supposedly qualified at this rating. What cam? How much lift? How much duration? What lobe centerline? What ratio rockers? What sized primaries on the exhaust headers? open exhaust or muffled? What displacement engine was this on? What size throttlebody/carb?

Usually heads are selected by selecting heads that flow the amount of air (CFM) that you need at the peak power RPM (whether for torque or HP) that you desire for the set-up of your car (rear gear, tire size, transmission, etc.). Then you compare those heads to each other by their flow numbers at various RPM below that to see which is most efficeint in the application you are using it in.

I just don't understand how anyone can have expectations on such a claim (HP) by the manufacturer. Sounds like marketing to me. Please let me know if I am misunderstanding people's expectations.

How do you get an engine built without knowing what displacement it is or which cylinder heads you bought? How do you collect the best matching components for what you want out of an engine? frdpwr, how did you get your education about engine performance? What rear gear, tire diameter, and transmission is going behind this engine? These are also part of the equation.

What chassis modifications did you make to handle the torque?

Steve

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Ohio XB said:

I have never before seen people refer to the supposed horsepower that heads are "rated' at. Please educate me if I misunderstand this, but it seems to be believed that if a cylinder head is rated at "600 HP" due to it's amount of flow that people are expecting to get 600 HP when they bolt these heads on their engine. This is stated with no regard as to other components when the heads were supposedly qualified at this rating. What cam? How much lift? How much duration? What lobe centerline? What ratio rockers? What sized primaries on the exhaust headers? open exhaust or muffled? What displacement engine was this on? What size throttlebody/carb?

Usually heads are selected by selecting heads that flow the amount of air (CFM) that you need at the peak power RPM (whether for torque or HP) that you desire for the set-up of your car (rear gear, tire size, transmission, etc.). Then you compare those heads to each other by their flow numbers at various RPM below that to see which is most efficeint in the application you are using it in.

I just don't understand how anyone can have expectations on such a claim (HP) by the manufacturer. Sounds like marketing to me. Please let me know if I am misunderstanding people's expectations.

How do you get an engine built without knowing what displacement it is or which cylinder heads you bought? How do you collect the best matching components for what you want out of an engine? frdpwr, how did you get your education about engine performance? What rear gear, tire diameter, and transmission is going behind this engine? These are also part of the equation.

Steve
You're exactly right XB Ohio.

There's your good old flow figures "the marketing tool" that companies bragg about, but you need certain flow figures as you know to potentially reach certain power figures.........

The head manufacturers here (eg: CHI/AFD) actually stipulate/recommend quite clearly what "combination" of engine parts + the heads gave the quoted performance....not just peak figures but also averages all up the rev range.

So no, you can't just slap on the heads and automatically get the power.

·
need BOOST
272 Posts
If your heads can't flow enough air, you wont make the horsepower....full stop (unless your running a power adder)

Surely people are smart enough to know they need to match heads, intake, exhaust, compression, and camshaft....and build a bottom end to support the required rpm and power level $$$$

·
Registered
992 Posts
Ohio XB said:

Steve
Its common here to rate a heads flow by horsespower. Its simply a formula derived from flow. HP = .25714 x CFM @ 28 inches x 8

41 - 60 of 119 Posts