Ford Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
97 Probe SE
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I was wondering if anyone knows of any mods that could make somewhat of a significant difference in horsepower. I Love my '97 SE (manual) to death, but at times, it seems like it might be able to use a little more power.

I believe that there are racing chips available, but I was wondering if maybe someone out there knows of something else that could help!

·
P·OBase #2 Owner!
21 Posts
There are numours mods you can do to your SE just to list a few.

J-cam from corksport www.corksport.com people say 20 +hp's but i don't belive that much gain.

Cat back exhausts numourous ones: brospeed,HKS,Greddy,Borla. Any GT exhaust will fit an SE although some need extension pipes made.

Cold air intakes again numourous ones. Akimoto, speedpeople.com has them

PRD www.probesport.com short shifter

Phelonic spacers to cool down intake manifold tempretures

The list goes on.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I would start off with a CAI. For some good ideas, ask Dan(sac). he knows a ton!

·
Probe Member
37 Posts
Start with a CAI, it'll be the cheapest and you should notice a little more power as RPM's build.

Header/Catback would help some too, although now its getting pricier.

I've heard some good things about the J-spec cam and know someone who is about to install one. I'll update when I hear about it.

I wouldn't do the chip unless your going to really build the internals of the engine. Its going to give you a very modest at best increase. They don't do nearly what they claim for stock engines... except kill your fuel milage (and often require high octane).

·
97 Probe SE
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really feel like an idiot asking this, but what is CAI?

Oh, and yes, please keep me updated on the J-spec cam! Thanx!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
There are no silly questions in my forums...I like when someone dosent know that they ask.
CAI = Cold Air Intake.

A lot of people make them themselves from Home Depot. Easy as pie and inexpensive!

·
97 Probe SE
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you know somewhere where I might be able to get some instructuions on how to do this, or some sorta webiste? Maybe someone out there (yes, my fellow probers) would happen to know how to do this, and could type it up (or already has it typed up!) Truthfully, I have NO idea what I am looking for, so I really don't know what to do!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Tony (who moderates the Bay Area Probe Section) can give you great information. He makes them for the GT's and i know he can help you with the 2.0's. Send him a PM and ask him. He'll be happy to help out Im sure.

·
P·OBase #2 Owner!
21 Posts
A CAI isn't bad but you won't really see the effects till you get rid of the of the too constrictive exhaust manifold and exhaust period. I know I left off a lot of mods, but those were the ones that came to my head. Belive me I'm at the end of the list as far as mods.

I am getting a P/P head (port and polished) head and match P/P intake manifold and header, after that its either NOS or forced induction or both:)

I do have a MSD ignition system coming too!!

·
97 Probe SE
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fiveliter302 said:
Best Ive heard is the J-spec cams...
You do want to unrestrict the exhaust though but be careful if you have E-Check (That Bullshit)
LOL! I don't think a single person in Lima even knows what that means!

It's awefully funny, but there a barely ANY restrictions on that around here! You could get away with murder when it comes to your exhaust.

·
97 Probe SE
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your serious huh? It's actually a problem around there in Akron? I would have never thought! I would have figured that maybe in Columbus and Cleveland, but not Akron!

Trust me, beyond the restrictionless exhaust, there is NOTHIGN special about Lima......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts