Ford Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've Just Had My Eb 5l Rebuilt 2031cam Acl Flattops & Bearings Etc.balanced, The Original Heads Were Ported. Problem Car Is Only Puting Out 122kw At The Rear Wheels & Worse Still 4 Vn Ss Have Beaten Me. I've Done A Bit Of Research & It Seems The Heads Could Be A Prob.i Should Maybe Try Gt40p Heads & After Market Intake. Any One With Any Ideas?
Regards Rick.

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Yes

I would go the gt40 heads, as they are have a proven histroy, but what suprised me is your output

Obiously the Torque range is out, or you have other compresion issues, though others with more expertese will guide you accordingly

What other mods have you done? Where r u?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Even though it is not mentioned, I will assume you have done the exhaust. And this may sounds basic, but have you had it dyno tuned with a programmable chip or after-market computer? I'd be concerned as your original heads should flow enough to support more than 122rwkw. I'd guess ( haven't dyno'd it ) that my basically stock BA XR6 would be pushing out around that same figure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i put on ak&n etreme pod cut a hole where the airbox was & i've run a 100mm tube from my front air dam.stock extractors & cats but I've added 205 inch single with high flow supercat.when i had dino they said chipping will increase 5-7 kw. WOW.but first all mods should be carried out fisrt before chipping as they take reading to desing chip.also since motor was recon ive had nothing but trouble with the trans.90% of the time you cant manually shift back through the gears just stays in 4th.they tell its the neutral start swich but trans specalist recon its electrical or comp. prob.
im in salisbury sth aust.
regards rick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
10-1 com 2031 crane 2000-5.500 rpm heads weren't over ported they told me just enough to suit the specs.they told the head was pretty basic but ok.to really set the motor up they said alloy heads are the go at $3000.00. but i'm not sure what the prob is ,it still should go better regargless.outlaw speed shop recons it should go even with those heads they recomend along the lines of trick-flow intake,high flow air meter and throttle body & also larger injectors.
regards rick.

·
Registered
128 Posts
*I* would get some extractors and a cat straight up. You may well be getting the air in, but thats no good if you are trying to blow it out through a drinking straw.
And then I would shroud ( ie box up ) the filter so you dont draw hot air out of the engine bay ( that does rob hp ).
And unless they have butchered your head, I would hazard a guess that the tuning of the engine is not so crash hot and that mapping your chip would be beneficial.
How does it run on the streets? Does it pull hard? If it seems ok on the streets, I would be inclined to disregard the dyno figure. I have seen differences of up to 50rwkw between 2 identical cars on identical dynos. Do you know what the improvement was over the stock reading? That would be your best indication IMO.

·
Registered
670 Posts
i had my au 5.0 rebuilt with stock cam and (gt40's) head porting, stock explorer manifold etc. poor air intake and good extractors and exhaust (3 inch) the tune is up the creek. I had a poor 120rwkw. after a lil fiddle with air intake pipes, injectors clean, new fuel filter, running it in!!!!!!!!!, i got 134rwkw, then with new air filter 137rwkw (current) I'm having the computer piggy backed and have been quoted by a very reputable guy that it should go from 185rwhp (137rwkw) to about the 210-220rwhp area (155-164rwkw). Due to the amount of air flow increasing and the speed of airflow decreasing the tuning is way off and the sensors can't read correctly. After this i'm going to go to somthing like the crane 2030 or a lil bigger. i have 2500 stall.

Hows the vacuum pressure?

GET RID OF THOSE EXTRACTORS (STRAWS XR VIRGIN is talking about) and get something better pacemakers or something. On that setup i'd guess there's around 10kw +++ to be found easy. Ford head have a hard time breathing out as is without stock extractors. The old manifold ain't great either.

Hope this helps. i'm still figuring out lil kw sucking drama's after my rebuild but i'm getting there!

·
XR8 Owner
545 Posts
my car has similar things done as yours xr8-ebs, but mine put out 120rwkw before the engine mods. I only had, 73mmMAF, 65mm TB, K&N and an exhaust....
The inside of your motor sounds ok, what matters now is how much and how fast the air can get in and out

·
Birth, Drift, Death...
3,039 Posts
im with the rest of them - make sure your TB, injectors, MAF sensor and extractors/exhaust are big enough - im under the impression the stock ones are pretty pathetic, but im just repeating what i have heard, i have had SFA experience with the ford V8s...

did they adjust the timing on the dyno? its REALLY easy! and also did they check the air fuel ratio? was it really rich or lean? maybe there is k&N filter oil on the MAF sensor wire as well - seems to be a common thing, that does affect preformance - try cleaning it with metho? someone here will be able to tell you wat the best stuff to clean them with is.

·
Banned
106 Posts
A standard eb 5l would put around 122 rwkw .Even if you havent got the right manifold or extractors or chip it should be puttong out more than that.Where did you get the engine done.You have to be careful with some of those mechanics they are complete rip off merchants.Ive had a couple of my friend get riped off

·
Registered
39 Posts
xr8-ebs said:
I've Just Had My Eb 5l Rebuilt 2031cam Acl Flattops & Bearings Etc.balanced, The Original Heads Were Ported. Problem Car Is Only Puting Out 122kw At The Rear Wheels & Worse Still 4 Vn Ss Have Beaten Me. I've Done A Bit Of Research & It Seems The Heads Could Be A Prob.i Should Maybe Try Gt40p Heads & After Market Intake. Any One With Any Ideas?
Regards Rick.
Gidday xr8-ebs! Just a couple of questions. How old is the tranny? When was the last time it was serviced? (Putting more H.P. through a tired tranny will not help your dyno read-outs!) Does the tranny oil smell burnt or look extremely dark? Let me know how you get on!

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
First off the maf needs to be atleast 70mm.The std extractors are crap.Fit any brand would be a great improvement.Inlet won't flo more than std heads so latter model Ford inlets or aftermarket.You have a GOOD cam there there I'd personally use Edelbrock Performer.Then throttle body to atleast 65mm but 70 seems better with that cam.You should be around 150/ 160 rwkw.Any more rwkw than that biggers injectors which will require maf calibration to match from 220 or aftermarket..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts