Ford Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we got our first snow fall last night and there is about 6 inches or so on the road-Is it safe to drive or will the hotshot suck up water from the snow?? I am going to make a cover of some sort for it tomorrow at work because it looks like winter is finally here :(

·
Probe GT Member
18 Posts
I dont know about anyone else, but i take my cai off during winter. Throw the old air box on, and give your filter from your hotshot a good cleaning.

·
Gear Masta
19 Posts
agreed... get that CAI off... no need to risk it... i klnow i dont drag in the snow ;-)

·
Registered
5 Posts
As long as you stay away from puddles you'll be fine, but it's easier said that done. THe snow tends to hide puddles well. But snow is safer than a torrential downpour. I leave mine on all the time and haven't had a problem. But then again, I've got an all new powertrain, freshly installed after blowing the original :D.

·
PT Owner - SCPOC Prez
681 Posts
with a properly oiled filter, the hotshot will NOT suck up water. :neverlear

if you really want to, go ahead and remove the hotshot. :thup:

·
Gear Masta
19 Posts
Not tryin to be a dick but if you submerge the Hotshot compleetly under water your gonna suck up water!!! and you will hydro lock your motor!!!! the oil will repel the water if ti mists up from the road and if it is partially submerged it most likely not be a problem but if you hit a pot holl in te middle of a puddle or just get unlucky yer gonna buy a new motor really quick!!

Ben

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well I work at a sign shop and I am second in charge so i have access to aluminum and all the tools I need to make just about whatever I want. So tonight I am going to make a cover that attatches to the splashgaurd but I am going to put a couple of holes in the back of it. That way even if i find my way into a puddle there is not much chance of it making its way to the filter.

·
PT Owner - SCPOC Prez
681 Posts
PGT95 said:
Not tryin to be a dick but if you submerge the Hotshot compleetly under water your gonna suck up water!!! and you will hydro lock your motor!!!! the oil will repel the water if ti mists up from the road and if it is partially submerged it most likely not be a problem but if you hit a pot holl in te middle of a puddle or just get unlucky yer gonna buy a new motor really quick!!

Ben
wrong.

a properly oiled k&n filter is waterproof. i have already proven this and i HAVE driven my car through puddles large and deep enough to be considered hazardous. the car will stall before there is any chance for water to be pulled through the intake tube.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well what do you guys think about my idea for making an aluminum cover so that appx 90% of the filter will be protected during the winter season? that way I dont have to put on my originaly airbox.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts