Ford Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Zetec Is Better Than VTEC
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
My cars been burning the clutch abit lately (not sure if its me or the car but i drive normally i think.) never used to be too bad.
Just wanna know if anyone has been gettin the same or if i just need to learn how to drive. :wnc:

Cheers,
James

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
It may need to be adjusted as it is worn down from driving so now slips and burns.

·
Lord of the RC
2,515 Posts
How long have you had the car ?

Had mine 1 week in about 8 hours, and well obvioulsy as its new it doesnt burn at all.

Cheers

Chris

·
2,922 Posts
I know that Resty has gone thru a clutch already in his Zetec, perhaps talk to him about it.

No problems here yet.

Tim!

·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mines about 5 months old, just serviced it at Stapp Ford the other week.
I don't think it s too serious, hopefully nothing like restys problem.

·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well i hope it would be covered if it is a serious problem, i'm poor enough as it is without having to pay to fix my clutch.

·
Registered stingy user
208 Posts
Hey PJ. Yeah I dropped my clucth assembly! Took it back to ford, they replaced it. Cost them $800 they reckon, but if it happend again they said I'd have to fork out 1200!

They guys were helpful and sorted the issue out in under a day. Just a word though, go easy on the clutch, it allows for some wear and tear - but not abuse. Focus is not a race car but a passanger vehicle.

·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Resty it seems to burn abit whilest i'm driving normally, shifting at 3grand or lower.
I don't know if its the way i drive? maybe i hold the clutch to long i dunno?
I hope its not a problem like yours don't have the cash, i don't work lol.
I mean i do give it a rev every now and then i mean i wen't to 6500 today had to get away from fast coming traffic.
I don't know if that would contribute to the wear and tear.
Bahhhhh I'm confused? LOL

·
Corner Hugger
1,487 Posts
i go to 6500 to get away from fast moving traffic all the time, that's usually another 2.0 litre hot hatch alongside me... lol. My clutch cops a fir bit, but only burns if i treat it like a dickhead... that's not very often.

·
Registered stingy user
208 Posts
It may just be ur not use a new smelling car!! :p

·
Registered
202 Posts
If you're burning the clutch, it sounds like you're riding it a bit. I step off that clutch as quickly as possible and have never had any clutch problems in previous cars.

Does the Focus have a self adjusting clutch? If it doesn't then it probably just needs to be adjusted, but it sounds like you're riding it a bit. It's the only time I've ever smelt clutch burn.

Revving high won't give you that smell, revving high normally means it's quicker and easier to shift. Around a race track, you're not loading the clutch that much, as you're shifting at very high revs (above 7K). But you are shifting more...still I've only smelt a burning clutch on a hill start where I've had to slip it a bit.

·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Yeah it could be me holding it to long, Iv'e been trying to shift really smooth lately just practising before the big P's test. If i try really smooth i go off the clutch really slowly then hold it at the point for a few seconds so u can't even feel it shift gears. I hope its just that and nothing eles.
Bahhh blast these stupid [L] platerz :nk:

·
Registered
202 Posts
If you're holding the clutch, you're riding the clutch. Trick is to get that clutch point, shift and get off it right away. The smoother you are the more you're riding it. But I know, initially you'll be a bit hit and miss with the clutch point, so if you try and do it fast, you'll make the car jerk.

Here's a tip, you only need to release the clutch slowly and smoothly in first gear. All other gears you can be on and off it quite quickly, without risk of bunnyhopping down the road. You'll only bunnyhop when you're doing quite a slow speed.

My other tip is to ensure you get some lessons with a good teacher that teaches you how to drive, rather than how to pass a test. An advanced driving course wouldn't go astray either.

·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds like good advice lincolnr.
I actually have my first lesson lined up for this friday so hopefully the instructor can help me out.

Cheers mate,
James.

·
Corner Hugger
1,487 Posts
great advice lincoln mate, I agree!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts