Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Just curious to know if anyone else came close to switching car brands over the past couple of years.

Must admit prior to BA and looking to update the efxr8 I came very close to buying a Commodore - I'll actually go as far to say that if the BA was average I would have gone already.

Currently looking at an update and have been offered 15g for the xr on a brand new magna ralliart with sunroof for 28 change over drive away. A quick visit to Ford and I soon realise that although the BA is a great car I can only get into a xr6NA for 2000 extra than the ralliart and with no options and less performance.

I hate buying cars!!!!

·
gone
10,402 Posts
remeber One thing mate, buy the car that suits you, not anyone else!

I will at some stage in my life buy other than Ford if so the situation arises!

·
Falcontastic.
6,039 Posts
Sorry I just cant bring myself to buy a Holden I have Ford running through my veins to much, if that sound's arogant then so be it, but I allway's have and allway's will be a Ford man.

·
Mr 3D
260 Posts
5 years of AU made it hard to defend ford at school, I was the only ford person at Tamworth high...came close to just saying stuff it, holden are better, but I got to drive a mates 5.0L EB and that renewed my faith....

·
Just give me an excuse...
3,949 Posts
I used to have a Barina (90 model) it was a great little car. Bought the BA as i needed more power and WANTED, NEEDED a Ford. At this stage i cannot see myself buying anything else, unless ford go fwd.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah like you guys I love my Fords - hell I have had three v8's and currently own 5 Ford polo's - what would I do if I switched camps! I guess Laminge is right though must satisfy myself. I'm leaning to the Ralliart - for the money I am paying I don't think there is a car on the road at such a good value! Resale is another thing though!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Can't say I have come close to buying a holden. However Fords attitude of recent years has really frustrated me. Take for example my TE50. Series3. They came close to building a truly great car, but seemed to loose interest before completion. The clunky driveline is an absolute horror. And what about Fairlane sales!!! Fairlane use to sell 2 to 1 over statesman. Ford has let it blow out to 6 to 1 in Statesmans favour. How could a Company get so far behind before having a major rethink???!!!I hope the new Fairlaine is the Ducks Nuts. I am in waiting. (It is not a replacement for the TE50)

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
I came V-E-R-Y close to buying an R33 GTS-T back in 99, just before I found and bought my XR8. If I hadn't seen it, I would have been in a Skyline most likely today!

·
286 Posts
L34 Torana then a VH Group 3 HO before I went to my current ride.
Hardest thing about changing sides is updating all ya clothing.

·
More horsepower required
612 Posts
Never , EVER.
When exiting school all those years ago , most of my mates bought holdens and were constantly blowing up gearboxes and diffs. ( pre 1978 cars ) . Holdens driveline has never been as good as Ford , and that still hasn't changed to this day .

A 351C , toploader and 9 inch sealed my lifelong devotion to the mighty blue oval.

·
Mountain man'
1,147 Posts
i have a confession, only since bought my XD, had i come to relise that ford is truly a great car, and shits over the holden guys,
i guess its cause there are too many holden fans out there
ps - and also all my friends are tru blu falcon fans!

·
Australian Member
136 Posts
I bought a new WRX last year after having owned older XA-XC V8 Falcons all my life. Thought I was a dead certainty for a new XR8 but after driving both of them the WRX just suited what I wanted more. I also drove an SS and while the grunt was nice, the wooden steering, poor shift and gear ratios put me off.

Also to option up the XR8 with premium brakes and momo gear it ended up 10k more than the WRX. Insurance is bit more but the retained value of a WRX over the period of my lease will more than make up for it. Not to mention the two local Ford dealers who left a lot to be desired in attitude.

But now that my first kid is on the way I can see the next car will be an XR6T in a few years time.

·
BOFH
7,777 Posts
I can honestly say I have been a ford fan all my life (my family owned Fords all through childhood). To this day the only cars I've ever owned are Fords. I can honestly say I will never buy a Holden. The only reason I wouldn't own a Ford is if they weny FWD, then I'd buy a Jag.... always liked them and they are even owned by Ford :)

Cheers,

·
We Love Greb Murpy
3,022 Posts
:hl: wouldn't dream of switching camps. I'd choose an XT over a Monaro. The AU didn't need to grow on me, I loved it from day one
AU came out, I defended Ford at school. VT tried (and couldn't) do a burnout in the school carpark, I laughed, while everyone else cried. Marcos Ambrose won, I laughed. The VY was released, I photshopped Ford badges onto it, watched the Holden supporters bag it out for a week, develop an intense hate for the design of it, and then I revealed all. And the was a great gnashing of teeth on the dark side. Coverted four people to the light so far in my short time. The old man brings home an HSV and I bag it out to no end in front of him. TO HELL I'M SWITCHING!!!! :box:

·
Registered
463 Posts
Fordhead said:
Never , EVER.
When exiting school all those years ago , most of my mates bought holdens and were constantly blowing up gearboxes and diffs. ( pre 1978 cars ) . Holdens driveline has never been as good as Ford , and that still hasn't changed to this day .

A 351C , toploader and 9 inch sealed my lifelong devotion to the mighty blue oval.
Theres nothing like the sound of snapping M21 input shafts ! I had a mate that kept a box of them in his shed as trophies.

·
FF Moderator
2,202 Posts
If have bought many other brands before for my wife and would definitely consider a Holden for her, however my heart is with the blue oval. As far as I see it, if I ever become unhappy with Fords, I would look at something European like a Porsche. After driving the latest SS and HSV’s, it made me realise that to buy to Holden would just like moving sideways rather than up. If Ford weren’t enough, why would Holden be any better? The same argument can be said for true Holden supporters buying Fords.

I must admit I can enjoy the Generals best..when it's someone else’s that is. They are just not cars that I can emotionally accept easily. When I'm in a great GM car, all I think about is a Ford that is equivalent or better.

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
I am with CDAA, my wife doesnt really care, as long as it is going, she had a ford festiva and now a 99 lancer, but I want nothing but a Ford, I first got a ford and thats been that, I can appreciate a good holden, but will only buy ford.

Dellboy999

·
Lost in FF
381 Posts
i have never once liked holden... i guess it was all the holden are the best etc etc which put me off it wasn't until i started driving i started loving fords even if my old laser (RIP) was a peice of shit which always broke down, and my ea has never lead me wrong about from it broke down the other day and is waiting to be fixed now, partly my fault

·
Resident geek freak
935 Posts
Much as i love my fords, life might be different if Chrysler Aust were still around.
I was always crazy about that Hemi265 and Pacers, Chargers, . All big old Vals always make me smile and I think one would be great for sunday cruising. Theres even a original looking "Drifter" Van i see around occasionally and WANT.. now THAT would be cool!

Our wedding car was a VE pacer convertable (technically a dodge dart i think)..so i could have been converted

but NEVER to GM!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
354 Posts
I've always owned fords, had an EA, 2 EF's, AU, Festiva, AUII, and now BA. Also own a subaru imprezza rs. Personally after owning so many fords, i would never buy another one. Too many problems, sure everyone says that everybrand has it's issues, however every ford i've owned has given me nothing but grief. They get worse as you go. My next car will be a subaru or toyota.

My parents have had nothing but fords since 1977, they've had over 12 different fords and they agree that every new model seems to be less and less reliable. So much so that they replaced the ford last weekend and they didn't go near a ford dealership. took their $60k to a Toyota dealership.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts