Ford Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Territory TS - AWD
2,374 Posts
I have switched camps, though not in the last few years (I just put off buying an AU).

I was a Holden guy for more than half my life (when they really were Holdens, pre-Commodore). Then there was the Nissan's and the Subaru's before I found the Blue Oval.

·
FF Town Sheriff
1,165 Posts
I have no reason to stay with anyone particular. I buy for my families needs at the time, I have had two fords in the past and many german cars, BMW, Merc, Vw.......all have been good, but our current situation requires a large family car with a BIG engine, and the Ba XR8 fits the bill perfectly. Having had three holdens in the past, I would never buy another.....all three have had faults and been unreliable. aam I a Ford bloke deep down?? Bloody oath. but if I can ever afford a E55 I'll change quick smart.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I shudder to think of myself driving a holden.. I hate even being in them.. I feel like its the devils car and he's trying to do something evil to me. They even have a certain evil aroma to them that seems not to have changed from the very first hg holden that i was unfortunate enough to have been a passenger in. When i think holden, I think of that famous "tear along the dotted line" cover story that some of you old fogies might remember from wheels, regarding holdens newest car (i think it was the eh holden "special "??) and the dangerous braking system it come equipped with as standard, that lent itself to braking in such a manner that it left axel tramping black tyre marks along the road in a kind of dotted fashion. Sort of like an old fashioned modulating ABS system, only highly dangerous instead of safe.

I remember once as a kid, dad nearly losing it (and us) in an hg holden queensmetal when the brakes locked up and forced him via a scary "plough understeer" incident to narrowly miss veering into another oncoming car. As far as im concerned, all holdens should come with a health warning painted on the bonnet in big letters, in the same way that other dangerous stuff like ciggies have to have.

yeah yeah sure they have improved over the years, but thats not really saying much is it? I know they have some mutton dressed up as lamb kinda cars floating aroudn at the moment that seems to suck many of the punters in, but they dont fool me. Blue blood till i die!

As well as the odd bit of blue em dubbelew too to make me a more rounded person.. but Definately never holden unless its free.

·
Poor IT guy
506 Posts
I have come close many a time.

I don't see the point on buying a car purly on it's badge :wtf2: I chose the car that I think is better value.

I am a Ford guy, but if I think the Commo is better value and suits my needs more then I will buy one. With the price of GenIII Commodores going down, they will be on my shopping list when the time comes to upgrade :drevil:

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
well.. i've only ever purchased 1 car, so i havn't had the chance to switch camps :p
don't see it happening anytimes soon, i'm still happy with anything ford has to offer!

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
I am a die hard Ford fan. Started out in them but Ford tests my loyalty over and over. No V8s. Then when they got them back they were boat anchors. They sell the same car for 6 or 7 years (EA-ED anyone?) or offer old cars with new metal (wagons with cart springs in 2003). All reasons why many HDT/HSV Commodores passed through my hands.

As I sit here today Ford continue to make what I see as errors. No performance wagons (Holden has bitten the bullet on that one), no V8 in Territory, and the list goes on.

Yes I will stay with Ford and my Pursuit was a choice of brand loyalty versus what would have been the best car for my needs. However, the CV8 with my name on the rego papers and the short term possibility of a VY SS Wagon means Ford will not be the sole occupant of my driveway. Shame.

·
X-TRAIL 4X4
469 Posts
Was looking at buying a 99 - 2000 model rear drive aussie car, My first car was a 87 Ford laser (great car) , and I have always considered myself as a Ford fan, always followed and supported the Fords in the V8 supercars, still do.

Looked at many options both ford and holden, and the only AU that I loved was the XR series, which was unfortuantly out of my price range, hench I brought the Series 2 VT.

So I consider myself to have switched brands. And after owning it for 12mths I still have no regrets, although I do belive the AU was a marginly better package mechanically, but it was the styling that swayed me.

But if I was in the market for a new aussie car today there is no way you could go past the BA series, simply awesome.

·
Ford Tickford Experience
432 Posts
When I went shopping for my AU, the thought of looking at a VT never crossed my mind, no Berlina looked as good hotted up on the outside and the interior was no where near the Fairmont with it's plastic look and green dash.

·
X-TRAIL 4X4
469 Posts
fte22, my mate has a 99 AU fairmont and while it rides better than my VT, the styling still never grabs me, as for the dash at light it looks like Luna Park, lights everywhere, just dosn't grab me.

The other think I didn't like was the seating postion of the AU it seems very high, and as I am reasonably tall the VT felt more comfortable.

Each to their own.

·
Ford Tickford Experience
432 Posts
Yeah mate, sorry, I wasn't having a swipe cos my post was after yours :) I wanted a Fairmont/Berlina spec car with bodykit and 17" alloys and it just happened to be that the AU was cheaper in a similar spec (I would have been lucky to get a stock Berlina for that much). They were also more available as most VT's with HBD are a Calais and were pushing towards $35-40K. The interior was better for me too, climate control laid out across the dash unlike the Berlina where it is a little LCD strip that looks like my $10 wrist watch :p. And finding one in black topped it off. I would not say a stock AUI Fairmont is something of beauty but you can't knock one that is Tickford optioned :)

·
X-TRAIL 4X4
469 Posts
IMO, I was tempted by the AU fairmont due to price and the extra feature such as climate control, but at the end of the day the VT worked out cheaper, as I would have spent to much on the AU to make it look good, such as AU1 Tickford wheels, bodykit etc.

·
Stoked Ford Owner!
126 Posts
I considder myself a Ford fan, mainly because my dad has only owned fords his entire life.

Recently when dad gave me his EL and he wanted a fairlane, we were damn close to buying a WHII statesman, because they are a better car than the AU Fairlane (although dad doesnt like the statesman steering wheel for some reason). If it wasnt for the near new fairlane with an offer we counldnt refuse, we would have a stato sitting in the driveway.

I get a car for what the car is, not what color badge is on it. It just happens that i love my EL Sapphire, and next will be a BA2 if im lucky :D

·
Bourbon powered V8
4,787 Posts
newxr8 said:
How close have you come to switching camp??
Never! I am disgusted by the thought, although I reckon I may be a lesbian (cause I like women).

Oh, hang on, you are talking about cars. lol. Used to drive a holden or two.

·
Forced Falcon
307 Posts
newxr8 said:
Hi everyone,

Just curious to know if anyone else came close to switching car brands over the past couple of years.

Must admit prior to BA and looking to update the efxr8 I came very close to buying a Commodore - I'll actually go as far to say that if the BA was average I would have gone already.

Currently looking at an update and have been offered 15g for the xr on a brand new magna ralliart with sunroof for 28 change over drive away. A quick visit to Ford and I soon realise that although the BA is a great car I can only get into a xr6NA for 2000 extra than the ralliart and with no options and less performance.

I hate buying cars!!!!
One word comes to mind my Son!!!!!!!!!!! RESALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and the magna has none of it, and i own a magna

·
Forced Falcon
307 Posts
newxr8 said:
Hi everyone,

Just curious to know if anyone else came close to switching car brands over the past couple of years.

Must admit prior to BA and looking to update the efxr8 I came very close to buying a Commodore - I'll actually go as far to say that if the BA was average I would have gone already.

Currently looking at an update and have been offered 15g for the xr on a brand new magna ralliart with sunroof for 28 change over drive away. A quick visit to Ford and I soon realise that although the BA is a great car I can only get into a xr6NA for 2000 extra than the ralliart and with no options and less performance.

I hate buying cars!!!!
One word comes to mind my Son!!!!!!!!!!! RESALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and the magna has none of it, and i own a magna

·
Registered
494 Posts
ford.boy said:
:hl: wouldn't dream of switching camps. I'd choose an XT over a Monaro.
rofl you gotta be kidding right?

I wonder if you'd back that up if you actually had the choice.

better yet, if you were a multi-millionaire would you still be driving a Ford? i doubt it.

no offence but sometimes ppl just take this whole 'blue blood' or 'holden man' stuff way too far...

·
Blue Blooded Ford Man
1,619 Posts
I would never consider changing camps. I will always be a Ford man.

But, I would consider buying a Monaro.

They may be only a 2-door Commodore, but I think they look the shit!!!

You just have to find one that doesn't have oil consumption problems or piston slap.

But, the next car on my list will be a XR6 Turbo. Once I get a 60% NCB. But, I will test drive a Monaro, as they can be made to go very hard.

·
Ford Tickford Experience
432 Posts
If I was a multi millionaire, I would still drive Fords, just a different one everyday :hehe: mmmmmm

21 - 40 of 41 Posts