Ford Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

Was drivin down the highway on sat night/arvo when BANG front drivers tyre blew. Dragged me to the left into the wide grass strip between roads and span me around. Got out of the car shittin myself, had about 3 smokes than checked the damage. at a glance not bad at all, chewed the shit out of the rim, totally trashed it but the rest of the car looks ok. Its in today gettin checked but there was no great visable damage that i could see so hopefully it will go ok. Damn i nearly had a heart attack tho! Was gonna get some new wheels but they will be on hold for awhile now by the looks of it:( Most dangerous part was tryin to pry the GF me after she found out about it!

·
Australian Probe Member
841 Posts
Glad to hear your OK!! Would appreciate a report on the tyres you were using & whether they we damaged prior to the incident.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DRU842 said:
Glad to hear your OK!! Would appreciate a report on the tyres you were using & whether they we damaged prior to the incident.
4 Goodyear Eagle GA Plus's, around 2 months old if that and in perfect condition. Not sure if i hit anything, certainly didnt see it if i did and it wasnt there when i checked the road after, so not quite sure how it happened

·
Village Idiot
2,526 Posts
2 months old. Thats a bit weird.

Anyway, good u didnt clean yourself up

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Geez, eagle GA are what the cops run aren't they, wouldnt have expected that, even if you hit something, wouldnt expect a blow out like that, not with tyres these days.

Jason

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
I thought cops run on Bridgestone Turanzas? Well they do here in Adelaide.

Glad your ok dude!

·
Australian XB Member
88 Posts
what tyre pressures were you running and how often did you check them?
most sudden tyre failures like the one you describe are caused by internal heat build up.
if it's been pierced by something, you'll normally have a fairly controlled deflation.
blowouts usually come from the heat caused by steel belts rubbing together, due to underinflation. it could even be that a slow leak has inadvertently left you with less pressure than you thought.
when the pressure goes down, the heat goes up, then bang.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have those Eagles and one of them developed a huge lump on the inside of the tyre on the back - the canvas was poling through! Only saw it cause it was on the hoist. On the drivers side back wheel. The bloke said lucky it was spotted as it would have blown like yours BlueAU... Would have been interesting going backwards into trees at 110km/h..

·
I am The Brain
3,073 Posts
Yikes! Glad to hear you are ok BlueAU. It is worrying that it happened, and that BA GT-HO noticed a problem with his that could cause the same thing. Would be interesting to see what the manufacturers have to say about that.

·
Officially Bored with 347
3,584 Posts
The main thing ... your safe... 2ndly the cars not majorly damaged

·
Senior Events Moderator
1,710 Posts
Shit mate, What a horror story. I think i would have shit myself hardcore. Sounds a bit like what happened to Laminge but he hit a spill and then went bang into a barrier i think. Still good to hear your alright mate. Nothing worse than the near misses it really wakes you up..

·
Just give me an excuse...
3,949 Posts
damn thats one thing I am scared about traveling on a freeway. The other would be a truck tyre exploding onto my car. Glad to hear you're ok and so is the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts