Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a mech oil pressure gauge today. How do i remove the old sender unit for the gauge on the dash? It has one of those big silver VDO canister type things there and it seems almost impossible to fit any sort of tool around there. Any ideas? How do you guys do it? I'm talking about the one behind intake manifold not the hole near the oil filter.

Thanks guys

Aaron

·
Registered
88 Posts
I reallize this might sound rough but it worked for me. Get the right size spanner & put in vice , take large blunt object & belt spanner at right angle make sure u leave enough room so it fits under canister.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried the rag. No luck. Cut a adjustable shifter down and tried to get it round the nut and then hit with a hammer, no luck. Tried U clamp clamped on top of canister then lever with screwy, no luck. THIS SUCKS!!!

Any more ideas? Was thinking about ramming something through it so i can get a hold of it but i dont want broken metal falling into the block obviously!

What size open ended spanner is correct? Ive been trying adjustable but i still cant get it to fit, cant even see under the canister bit to even have a guess at the size.

Thanks guys

Aaron

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I had the same problem in reverse. The engine builder left mine off, motor was in before I realised.

It was a hassle. No spanner fitted. Ended up doing it up by hand and so far no leaks.

Can't see how a socket will work.

Probably the right size spanner with a 90 degree bend in it would do..

·
74 XB Fairmont
5,113 Posts
xespack said:
Thanks brenx, Can you explain a bit more about what that actually is?
A deep impact socket is about 3" deep compared to a normal socket which is lucky to be 1" deep.. You use a dpee impact socket and a knuckle joint with a 12" extension bar. I've done it more times than I can care for. Just about everyone of my mates has a Clevo powered car hiding somewhere.

The sender size if electric is 1 inch.

[edit]:doh: damn my stuffed eye's! I just saw the bit about big sender. Is it one of those ones that make the needle rise etc. Not just for an oil pressure light? I'll find out the size. Those are even worse to remove!

Brenden

·
Registered
88 Posts
I thought this was a pressure sender unit with a large cannister on top & not the idiot light sender. I can,t see how the socket will get over cannister.I think the size is 5/8.But if your struggling to see get a small mirror & have a look.

·
74 XB Fairmont
5,113 Posts
STROKEXD said:
Well yeah Brenx, it's same as mine - it is a big fat canister, all round with approx a 11mm base nut underneath it.

Only way around it I can see as I described above.
Yup the annoying sucker. :doh: With the 11/16th nut underneath damn silly Ford. I'd suggest anyone who is running one to get a brass extension from autobahn which also has a provision for a mechanical oil prssure guage such as a autometer etc. I run one of those extenders on my engine.

Brenden

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Now speaking off oil senders, my F truck clevo has the oil sender right next to the fuel pump down next to oil filter.

Any you guys seen that on a clevo? Now wondering if its an FE 351 ie 351M and not a clevo...

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah i got that hole next to the fuel pump as well. I thought thats where the idiot light switch should be and the pressure comes from the one on top?

And yeah brenx its the huge canister so socket wont work. Will try bending a spanner tomorrow i suppose!

Thanks guys

Aaron

·
74 XB Fairmont
5,113 Posts
STROKEXD said:
Now speaking off oil senders, my F truck clevo has the oil sender right next to the fuel pump down next to oil filter.

Any you guys seen that on a clevo? Now wondering if its an FE 351 ie 351M and not a clevo...
Considering I used to work @ an F series truck sales yard. You'd think I'd know but I never really paid that much attention. I just stripped the suckers down for parts to go on whatever never the parts. I think I'd stripped about 20 or so in about 6 months. I hated the job and left. More than likely it's a yank design. Did you also know that some 9" centres from F series trucks didn't have the fill plug on the centre? It's on the housing!

Brenden

·
74 XB Fairmont
5,113 Posts
STROKEXD said:
So do you know if all the V8 spec F100's here had clevo's or where there any 351M's as well?
Most had the 351M's in them as this was the truck spec motor. the 351C was usually only in cars unless it'd been swapped by it's owner/engine shop etc. We swapped a few 351C's into them as replacement engines. Ford did some strange things also. Maybe some oops ;) I just can't recall where the oil sender was. It's been about 10-11 years though.

Brenden

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Well I'm guessing I have a 351M engine then, so I better do some more homework. I was planning on using my old 2V clevo heads on the F100 when I go to alloy's later on, maybe they are not compatable after all..

·
Registered
381 Posts
3/4 open end spanner bend at right angle 4 inch from end works great! Bare in my any fittings must be 1/4 NPT not BSP or BSPT threads.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
7 Participants
STROKEXD
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing