Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
'60 F100 Q-Code
750 Posts
debacle-racing said:
HELP. need info on converting a 750hp to methanol.
cheers, justin.

The first thing that you do is sell the 750 and buy an 850 alcohol carb and forget about converting it!

If you still _want_ to convert it, you really need an understanding of alcohol and its fluid dynamics in order to convert your 750. The short answer is that methanol is consumed at a volume rate of approximately 6x the volume of gasoline. Therefore, your internal passages need to be 6x larger to flow the volume, but it isn't as easy as that.

I don't think that a few words on a forum can even reasonably point you in the right direction. Rather, years of experience in reworking carburetors offers any hope at all, IMO.

:davis:

·
Registered
181 Posts
davis said:
The first thing that you do is sell the 750 and buy an 850 alcohol carb and forget about converting it!

If you still _want_ to convert it, you really need an understanding of alcohol and its fluid dynamics in order to convert your 750. The short answer is that methanol is consumed at a volume rate of approximately 6x the volume of gasoline. Therefore, your internal passages need to be 6x larger to flow the volume, but it isn't as easy as that.

I don't think that a few words on a forum can even reasonably point you in the right direction. Rather, years of experience in reworking carburetors offers any hope at all, IMO.

:davis:
my under standing is that you need 2.2 times more methanol than gasoline, to give an air fuel ratio of about 6 to 1. if carb had 100 jets we would then drill 120 thou holes in the power plate just above the jets. then fit larger squirters and high flow needle and seats and a very good fuel pump with high flow filters....then you just get air bleeds looked at..

·
Registered
992 Posts
Long story short.....buy a methanol carb. The whole carb needs to be redone, not just the jets. You need roughly twice the volume of Methanol than petrol (not 6 times)

Your whole fuel system - tank, line, pump - also needs to be alcohol tolerant.

·
Registered
995 Posts
i ran a 650 dp on my 340 engine, it had 99 front and rears, we then drilled the rear out to 120 . make sure u run petrol back thru the engine if ur going not drive it that often, the methoal will rust the bores very fast.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts