Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sandwich Connoisseur
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how do you find out if you have an lsd, without wasting any valuable tyre tread? My car is an ed futura, and I noted a tag on my diff drain plug, saying high performance, use regulation (i think) oil only.

Thanks
Donno

·
Registered
14 Posts
Spin one wheel by hand whilst the car is out of gear,the handbrake off and the wheels are jacked up,have an assistant hold the other wheel,if either one of you cannot spin the wheels whilst the other is being held stationary then it is an LSD,if the pinion spins while one wheel is been held and the other rotated then it is a single spinner (conventional diff),the Fords I looked at have either a tag hanging off the drain plug which is a bolt on type in the EA's onwards I believe telling you it is an LSD and what oil to use whereas the earlier diffs like in the Fairlaines will have a rubber plug or bung which is orange or brown in colour and it will say something on it like :- use sub gear oil only.

·
Birth, Drift, Death...
3,039 Posts
^^ wot he said ^^

but to just clarify this statement:

have an assistant hold the other wheel,if either one of you cannot spin the wheels whilst the other is being held stationary then it is an LSD
it should have 'using normal force' in there somewhere - if you haul on the wheel its possible to make them spin different directions, but it should be easy if its an open diff, and require a lot of effort if its not.

·
Sandwich Connoisseur
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RB30DEVL said:
Spin one wheel by hand whilst the car is out of gear,the handbrake off and the wheels are jacked up,have an assistant hold the other wheel,if either one of you cannot spin the wheels whilst the other is being held stationary then it is an LSD,if the pinion spins while one wheel is been held and the other rotated then it is a single spinner (conventional diff),the Fords I looked at have either a tag hanging off the drain plug which is a bolt on type in the EA's onwards I believe telling you it is an LSD and what oil to use whereas the earlier diffs like in the Fairlaines will have a rubber plug or bung which is orange or brown in colour and it will say something on it like :- use sub gear oil only.
Couldn't you just jack up 1 rear wheel, opposite chocked, out of gear and no handbrake then try spin it?

Donno

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just adding to that test, if the LSD clutches have worn you might think its a single spinner when its actually an LSD.

A quick test is the give the wheels a quick spin on gravel, if you see two wheel spin marks then its an LSD and conventional if one mark, but again only if the LSD clutches have not worn.

Paul

·
Sandwich Connoisseur
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On loose gravel though wouldn't a conventional diff still leave 2 treads? Mine does, but I'm pretty sure my old mans auto stock ed classic doesn't have an lsd but still leaves 2.

Donno

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
dosnt most single spinners spin both wheels in gravel too? i know in my old XW ute would, when i wanted to do a burnout id start on the gravel and get both spinnin and move onto the bitchy to get em both smokin, otherwise it would only spin one wheel. if i started on the the tar it wouldnt do both so meh...:shrug:

·
Registered
227 Posts
OK a better test put one wheel on the tar and the other in the gravel, spin them.

If its single spinner only the wheel in the gravel will spin, if LSD both will grip.

·
Banned
555 Posts
lots of ahh intresting ideas but the corect procedure is to raise the back put car in nuetral with handbrake off and spin either wheel either forwards or backwards the oposite wheel should spin in the same direction, doing gravel burnouts is not the answer as a sudden load on a single spinner centre will cause the diff centre to rotate without the internal gears moving causing 2 wheels makrs.

you can get a single spinner to start a 2 wheel standstill on the bitumen by loading the centre up before you start, for those of u who are intrested this is achived by holding the brakes basically flat to the floor then stalling the car up quite hard and then realeasing the gas while still holding the brake. next step is to back of the brakes to the point where your particular car has enough power to spin the wheels then slamming the gas, once you learn this and its tricky to teach u can do 2 wheel standstills 9 times out of 10 in an open wheeler centre. anyone wana try and give some feedback.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts