Ford Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi everyone, need help understand whats going on here...
The cooling fan in my car only turns on, when the car is on idle and the engine is hot, is this normal ?
Isnt the cooling van supposed to also turn on when the car is moving in 1st and 2nd gear...?

Another thing i dont understand is that recently i changed the oil and flush it with a liquid molly, and now the cooling van is gone it doesnt even turn on in idle like before even after 30 min, or 1h of accelerating in open road ? i did some testing and the cooling van seems to be working, ( I dont know about the sensors or relays though... ive post some videos on youtube pinpointing the low speed relay, the car is from 1995 but it must be a lower version the cooling van relays are not located next to the battery )

·
Super Moderator
20,063 Posts
Engine coolant fan should only cut in when engine temp requires it to do so or when air con is switched on . Some cars have 2 fans , others are 2 speed .

" Isnt the cooling van supposed to also turn on when the car is moving in 1st and 2nd gear...? "

No

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello jon, what engine do you have? My 1965 PGT V6 has two fans - one for the air cond condenser and one for engine cooling. Both are two speed and there 4 relays. I can post the 1965 wiring diagrams for the cooling fans if would help you. 2.0 or 2.5 motor?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply... Its the 2.0 16v year 1995, although i think it was made in 93/94 the cooling fan relays are not located next to the battery like in earlier verions.... The low speed relay according to the manual and one of my videos seems to be under the front bumper the high speed relay i dont know were it is ? ...

The thing that happened was more like this, the cooling fan would always turn on after an 1/2 hours ride pushing the car at high rpm and speed.... Last summer before changing the oil ive flushed it with a liquid molly... Then the cooling fan stoped coming on like before... Ive read somewere that this liquid molly makes the engine run cooler ( Its an engine flush product )... But so cooler at point of the fan doesnt come on anymore after a 2hrs ride high speeding doesnt seem normal to me ...

I just dont know how to troubleshoot a car cooling fan... It doesnt make sense to me that a cooling fan will only turn on when the car is stoped and idleing... I mean what extra cooling will that provide ?... And in traffic in 1st / 2nd gear moving very slowly the cooling fan turns off... It doesnt seem like a way to keep an engine cool ?... the fan would only come on with the car stoped, now it doesnt even come on anymore...

·
Administrator
8,275 Posts
You keep mentioning wont come on at high speed. Think about this, the water pump circulates the coolant through the engine and the radiator. The wind from the high rate of speed passes through the radiator fins, cooling the coolant and back to the engine. No fans may be needed. Now when the car is stopped and idling, there is no air being pushed through the fins of the radiator, therefore, the fans are needed to create that airflow to cool the radiator.

Now, if you sit at idle and the car gets hot (in the red on the gauge) and the fans are on, then you most likely have another problem. Possibly a stopped up radiator (internally or externally), bad water pump (vanes rotted away now allowing the coolant to circulate efficiently) or even a thermostat problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You keep mentioning wont come on at high speed. Think about this, the water pump circulates the coolant through the engine and the radiator. The wind from the high rate of speed passes through the radiator fins, cooling the coolant and back to the engine. No fans may be needed. Now when the car is stopped and idling, there is no air being pushed through the fins of the radiator, therefore, the fans are needed to create that airflow to cool the radiator.

Now, if you sit at idle and the car gets hot (in the red on the gauge) and the fans are on, then you most likely have another problem. Possibly a stopped up radiator (internally or externally), bad water pump (vanes rotted away now allowing the coolant to circulate efficiently) or even a thermostat problem.
I mentioned it doesnt turn on after an 1/2h ride at high speed... I meant driving the car at high speed then stop after 2 hours... It makes sense the cooling fan not turning on while the car is moving at 100mph, that would damage the fan.. but in traffic moving very slowly in 1st gear the fan should reamain on....
thats why i mentioned it doesnt make sense the cooling fan only turning on in idle.

The engine temp seems to be ok... Ive had engine temp problems before the pointer would go to red after 4/5min and it was a blown water pump....

I just find it strange the cooling fan not being working like before... And the only things i did was: engine flush, oil change, engine clean (with water and cleaner), body paint.

·
Super Moderator
20,063 Posts
Read JWKOs post above again and take it in . No disrespect but this " It makes sense the cooling fan not turning on while the car is moving at 100mph, that would damage the fan.. " and some of your other comments really defy logic .Hope you get it " fixed " to your satisfaction .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
damm it... I meant " it doesnt make sense " instead i wrote " i makes sense "... i apologise never mind the topic i cant explain.

·
Registered
24 Posts
'the cooling fan relays are not located next to the battery like in earlier verions.... The low speed relay according to the manual and one of my videos seems to be under the front bumper the high speed relay i dont know were it is ? ... "

I am posting the component location view. on page 1 the label C143 points to the ETC sensor. On page 2 the lablels C167 and C144 are the relay location.

Also attached are the wiring diagrams for your 2.0. For repair you can throw in all new parts, or test each old part and replace the bad one. On my car the cooling fan stopped working, I unplugged the fan connector and applied 12volts to the fan directly, it was dead.
151-1 CLV.jpg
151-2 CLV.jpg
23-5 EEC.jpg
33-1 ECF.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks again, this will come in handy... Iam using the haynes ford probe mazda_mx6_9 manual, unfortanly the images refer to the 2nd gen ford probe that came after 1995, my car version seems be 93/94, the cooling relays and other parts are in diferent places.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sometimes cars are made the year before model year it is registered as.

I have the Haynes #61042 Mazda 626 & MX-6/Ford Probe 1993 thru 2001 book. I also have the 1995 Ford factory service and wiring manuals. These are where I scanned the pages I posted for you.

What year does your car fall into?

1st gen.PNG
2nd gen.PNG

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Lol... you can see it for yourself

Mine should be 2nd gen 93/94 although the plate says 95... The fan relays are not located next to the battery and are a pain to access... The 2nd gen that come out in 1995 had the relays next to the battery easy to test or replace.

The manual iam using has illustrations for the 2nd Gen 2.5 v6, and Mazda mx6 that come out in 1995... Everything else about the 2nd gen 93/94, is in text and hard to understand.

[edit] the video you are looking for is one of the last "CoolingFanToubleShoot 06lowSpeedRelay"
The ilustration youve posted above "component location views" seems to be correct one":)

·
Super Moderator
20,063 Posts
Often cars in Europe / Portugal have different specs , other variations from cars from USA or other continents Even cars in the UK can vary from those in Europe which can cause problems till properly identified .

·
Registered
24 Posts
The two relays you mention next to the battery are for the AC condenser fan. One is high speed, the other is low speed. If you don't have two fans behind your radiator, you don't have the relays next to the battery.

I am using a PC with HDMI to a 55 inch panel TV. I don't know you viewing screen size so I enlarged the location pictures.

C144.PNG

C167.PNG

So you have a 2nd Gen PGT, yes the Haynes book is not the best, it is better than nothing. You can buy a used Ford Factory manual for your car. I got mine on Ebay for around $20. I has a lot more info, but it is harder to follow. Good comprehension and intuition are needed for sure. I just looked on EBay, they have more than 10 offers available.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ive noticed the ilustration the frist time, already saved it in my PC, the image is fine no problems there. The relay i had dificult in finding was the high speed relay, because there are 2 relays in there ( low speed blower motor / high speed cooling fan ) i didnt knew wich one was for the cooling fan.

R.S.LOGAN: I think the car came from germany ( it came with a german driver manual, and repairs sheet ) was licensed in portugal in 2001. Its the same version has the USA and UK (except for right side steering wheel)... Models v6 and 4 cilinder after the year 95 got a small of improvement.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts