Ford Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Interloper from LS1.com
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an observation from being a member of this forum.

How much do you think it hurts Ford/Tickford when to make a 220Kw XR8 you have to open the engine up as opposed to say the SS which is straight out of the Holden factory just with some extra tupperware?

Seeing as they sell for the same price (more or less)

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
It must hurt alot. There is no way it wouldn't and Ford have said the profit on the XR8 is way down. I guess they are only doing it for 12 months or so but someone made a bad decision 4 years ago and it has hurt ever since

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
For now until the AV arrives I think Ford are in a pure marketing exercise. They need the cred now not in 12 months time. They've waited too long as it is, so to leave things "as is" until AV is suicide. Short term pain for long term gain I 'spose.
When AV gets here Ford will be in the same boat as GM-H. The engine will just slot straight into the engine bay without havng to be reworked as much..

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
AlbertM said:
Gotta remember Ford Australia has billions in cash!
Ford Oz doesn't have the brass, that's Ford Global.. Mind you the bank balance is taking a hit since the Firestone tyre debacle.. :(

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Yes but that would make the local content higher,in a U.S motor?? wouldn't it,swings and roundabouts.

Where is the v6 Commodore made and assembled.Wasn't it made in U.S [Buick] and assembled here? Much the same..

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
I guess it's case of putting the bucks in to get the bucks out.
Since they didn't put the bucks in before.

Seems Ford is keen to bridge the gap of the Commodore SS, they are out selling XR's at the rate of 2:1. :eek:

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
They gave some extras like the 220 engine, however with the other hand they took away:

- 6 stack CD down to single
- only 4 alloys instead of 5

There are other cost saving items such as:

- iron heads
- no hot coat on the exhaust components

I suspect there are other things I haven't noticed yet...

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
I suspect there are other things I haven't noticed yet... [/B]
A noisy diff!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I think Ford is following the old business rule: You have to spend money to make money!
Seeing that the engines are re-assembled here the exchanged parts could go to the Parts Dept where they could earn some sort of credit. The 220kW XR8's use iron heads so they are cheaper than the T-Series aluminium jobs.
All in all, Ford would be making lower profits out of the XR8's not a loss.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
ebxr8240 said:

A noisy diff!!
Give it time! After the clutch......

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
They gave some extras like the 220 engine, however with the other hand they took away:

- 6 stack CD down to single
- only 4 alloys instead of 5

There are other cost saving items such as:

- iron heads
- no hot coat on the exhaust components

I suspect there are other things I haven't noticed yet...
Sounds like they have gone back to AU1 spec.
They went from a single CD to six stacker in dash and now you are saying they have gone back to the single.:eek:
This wouldn't affect premium options though would it? Or has the cost to option up, gone up accordingly?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts