Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Poorer than ever!
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must be getting lazier as I get older, I really can't be bothered to open the front windows manually, so I'm wondering how easy it would be to install the motor, loom etc. to make the windows go up and down with the press of a button. Anybody done it before? What parts am I going to need?

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
You have an XR, so you *should* have the wiring required. Check though for chrissake :)
You will need 4 window motors, and the switch block for the centre console. If you have the wiring it's as simple as drilling the old rivets out which hold the motors in, and changing the motors. Then put in the switch block. Not hard.
If you have to add the wiring it gets a little harder and involves pulling up the carpet.

·
Sik EA bro
732 Posts
goto wreckers and look for same colour doors as your car but fairmont ones will save alot of trouble

·
EA-S MPI 5-Speed
403 Posts
man,
i did central locking.
its up to you but central locking made a mess of a whole day.
few cuts on ya hands ect
but i guess it would be worth it in the long run

·
Sandwich Connoisseur
955 Posts
Does a futura have the right wiring?

Donno

·
CRUISING
158 Posts
where do u put the power window switches??? like if the car is the non powered windo version and the console doesnt have any space for them.

i can see where the rear switches go, obviously on the rear doors but the front ones??? i've been tryin to work out where/how i can do this for ages now.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
i am 99% sure that the switches for the power windows for the front are between the lid for the centre console, and the gear quadrant (like where you select your gears).

it should just fit in i spose?? may have to drill a hole in the bottom, and somehow screw it down.

and also back to donno's question??

does anyone know if the wiring for the windows is there for Futuras???

·
Poorer than ever!
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OED666 said:
does anyone know if the wiring for the windows is there for Futuras???
Well, I've had a look and just under the gearstick cover is the plug for the power window switch. So I guess you'd need to have a look and see if you've got it.

As for the switches fitting in the centre console, I think you'd be able to screw it on somehow. I'll need to get my hands on one and find out.

·
EB wagon
932 Posts
I did this mod about a month ago. Coz i got a GL, i didnt have any wiring or any place for the switches. My centre console has just a moulded plastic place for putting loose change. What I did was use the rear switches from my old EA ghia trims and cut out 2 square holes in the console where the switch panel is on fairmont/ghia versions. I didnt bother wiring in the rear's to the front as it would have made for ALOt more extra wiring so the rears work only by the rear door switch. The windows use the power from the central lock solenoids. Took me about 4 hours to complete... Well worth it tho...

Brent

·
CRUISING
158 Posts
i'm goin to try and find the actual panel where i can mount the switches so i can also control the rear windows... i have the space where i can place my change but not where i can wire up the switches...

does anybody have any idea on how to do the wiring... or is it possible?

thanx in advance

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
FamilyHak_SPak said:
i'm goin to try and find the actual panel where i can mount the switches so i can also control the rear windows... i have the space where i can place my change but not where i can wire up the switches...

does anybody have any idea on how to do the wiring... or is it possible?

thanx in advance

Well i checked my car last week, and i have the wiring, YAY!!!.

but i am sure i now need the fairmont centre console which sux. i have been trying to look for the window switch panel from heeps of wreckers, and have had no luck.

i have to get it sorted as my new interior arrives on thursday, and i will need to swap it over asap

·
Sandwich Connoisseur
955 Posts
If you get it all sorted can you do a write up with pics if possible?

Thanks
Donno

·
Looking in YOUR bathroom.
3,287 Posts
dont swap whole doors. It takes only 20min a door to do.

·
CRUISING
158 Posts
OED666 where do i look to see if i have the wiring for power windows??? when i went to install my central locking i didnt see any particular spare wires/plugs for the power window motors...

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
FamilyHak_SPak said:
OED666 where do i look to see if i have the wiring for power windows??? when i went to install my central locking i didnt see any particular spare wires/plugs for the power window motors...

Pull out the centre console, just 4 screws, and when its out, have a feel around, and there should be a loom lying around there!!!

·
CRUISING
158 Posts
when u mean the centre console... do u mean like where the transmission runs? that plastic bit, where u got the console lid/armrest thingy??? plus i have to remove the transmission surround as well to get to it?

cheers

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
yep, thats wot i mean,

if yours is an auto, remove the top of the gear selecter. you have to undo a bolt, and then you cant un-wind the gear selecter thing off. then lever up the quadrant, the bit that surrounds the gear lever. there is also a light that illumiates what gear you have selected, unplug that, and make sure you connect it correctly when re-installing. under that there should be 2 screws, undo them. then, open the centre console, there will be 2 screws, undo them, and then you can remove the centre console.

have a feel around, and there should be a lose wiring harness. if you have no luck, i will remove it on my car, and take a pic and post it for you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts