Ford Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just fishing, I have stock crank and rodded, solid cam 02 (arp bolts and studs) w hypatec flatties, spin it too 6800 regularly, loves to rev. Hold up ok? anyone with rod failure experience with little windsors? Also 3322 (race weight) car runs 104.17 13.18 (falling on face at 5500 in first due to fuel problem, since fixed :angel: ) what RWHP?, have tried few computer sims which seem to say between 298 to 352RWHP??? what the hell. Whats moroso calculator say (don't have one). Thanks in advance guys :freak: Um wheres the XP icon :shrug:

·
Registered
992 Posts
blue66coupe said:
Just fishing, I have stock crank and rodded, solid cam 02 (arp bolts and studs) w hypatec flatties, spin it too 6800 regularly, loves to rev. Hold up ok? anyone with rod failure experience with little windsors? Also 3322 (race weight) car runs 104.17 13.18 (falling on face at 5500 in first due to fuel problem, since fixed :angel: ) what RWHP?, have tried few computer sims which seem to say between 298 to 352RWHP??? what the hell. Whats moroso calculator say (don't have one). Thanks in advance guys :freak: Um wheres the XP icon :shrug:
The Moroso Calculator says 280 FLY HP

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Running 209 intake 150 ex (both peaked at .550 lift) looking at no's made better mid lift flow than gt-40 heads, ported 68 302 heads, .038 quench. 238/[email protected] solid crow 109 split .510/.520 net lift at valve.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Racer said:
The Moroso Calculator says 280 FLY HP
Oh crap I was hoping for at least 250 RWHP, EA (performace trends) says with all info given accuarately that should be good for 390 FWHP (going conservative on port/intake/exhaust size and cam aggressiveness). Where is the other 110HP, running 36 deg total timing twin 2 1/2" straight through muffs w balance pipe 1 5/8 30" into 3" collector 12" long on premium. (still 3000 stall w 3.55's is pretty tame 1.94 60 ft)

·
Registered
992 Posts
blue66coupe said:
Oh crap I was hoping for at least 250 RWHP, EA (performace trends) says with all info given accuarately that should be good for 390 FWHP (going conservative on port/intake/exhaust size and cam aggressiveness). Where is the other 110HP, running 36 deg total timing twin 2 1/2" straight through muffs w balance pipe 1 5/8 30" into 3" collector 12" long on premium. (still 3000 stall w 3.55's is pretty tame 1.94 60 ft)
You have a nice combination, but i think it's your heads letting you down. Ported stockers with big valves rarely flow more than about 200-210cfm.

Your cam is a little short on lift if your head flow peaks at .550. With your heads you need to use as much flow a you can get.

What carb and intake are you using?

Also try shifting at 6,300, as your cam has probably run out of breath by then. I used to shift at 6,200 with a [email protected] in a 302 (306)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Racer said:
You have a nice combination, but i think it's your heads letting you down. Ported stockers with big valves rarely flow more than about 200-210cfm.

Your cam is a little short on lift if your head flow peaks at .550. With your heads you need to use as much flow a you can get.

What carb and intake are you using?

Also try shifting at 6,300, as your cam has probably run out of breath by then. I used to shift at 6,200 with a [email protected] in a 302 (306)
Heads flow 200 @ .45 onwards so flow is pretty constant at these lifts. Anyway thinking of trying roush 200's as these are reasonably priced, and with a little bowl work will probably work ok (not as exotic as some but more affordable). Using 600 DP carb w croswind intake cleaned up.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Ps:

My old combination was similar to yours. It was quite a while ago, but from memory:

.030 over 302 (306)
Ported Edelbrock RPM heads w/2.02 - 1.60 valves - flowed 250 cfm @ .550 (Standard i think they were around 230cfm)
Milled (i think .050) to achieve a true 10.65 comp. They were 61cc out of the box down to (from memory) 53cc.
Zero decked w/JE flat top pistons
236/240 Cam .565ish lift 112 (for nitrous - was supposed to run to 6,800 but ran out at 6,300ish - used to shift at 6,200 on the shift light)
750 Carb
Mildly touched up RPM manifold - 1 inch spacer.
1 3/4 custom extractors, 2 1/2 pipes
MSD ignition
top loader w/3.7 gears (or possibly 4.11 at the time - dont remember), 26x10 inch slicks
similar weight to you
Best time was 11.29 launching at around 6,000rpm. Sixty foot was 1.5something. MPH was somewhere around 117 (116.9 rings a bell)

The moroso gives 390hp

I didnt run it much N/A as it was built for nitrous.

My biggest problem is that i am a tinkerer and was always changing something, but i'm fairly sure these were the specs at the time.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Strange how your combo fell over at 6300, mine has no noticable nose over seems to keep pulling harder the more you rev, am going to try 700DP soon and run without pipes + muffs (weigh 50kg+), also going to 4500 convertor and 4.11 gears, trouble is love to drive it on the street, SS commodores never seen one (except in the mirrors) :zzz:

How much Nos U run, plate or fogger, bottle blanket or naked, am very! interested in trying the bottle

Ps also have the tinkerer disease as Mr C Ash and time allows, if U know of any cheap 185 or 215 afr's let me know, they should test the elasticity of the rods :AAHHH:

·
Registered
992 Posts
blue66coupe said:
Strange how your combo fell over at 6300, mine has no noticable nose over seems to keep pulling harder the more you rev, am going to try 700DP soon and run without pipes + muffs (weigh 50kg+), also going to 4500 convertor and 4.11 gears, trouble is love to drive it on the street, SS commodores never seen one (except in the mirrors) :zzz:

How much Nos U run, plate or fogger, bottle blanket or naked, am very! interested in trying the bottle

Ps also have the tinkerer disease as Mr C Ash and time allows, if U know of any cheap 185 or 215 afr's let me know, they should test the elasticity of the rods :AAHHH:
I used up to a 250hp shot of nos (plate), but the car wouldnt go any quicker than with 200hp. I alternated between 200 and 250hp depending on circumstances and the phase of the moon. I used a second pump and fuel cell and of course a bottle warmer and gauge. A heater is a must especially if you run at night.

I use AFR's on my current roller cammed 347 and they are a great head. Unfortunately I dont think you will have much luck finding them cheap or second hand. They are in relatively short supply and in high demand.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I believe resizing , balancing , and shot peening makes standard rods fairly dependable??? Have you done this???

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lukeh said:
I believe resizing , balancing , and shot peening makes standard rods fairly dependable??? Have you done this???
Standard rods almost as well built as boss rods (3/8" bolts) which are considered good to 8000+ with proper prep. My rods are resized, visually inspected for flaws and of course balanced with the rest of the recip assy, did not shot peen as failure in the beam or small end I considered remote compared with bolt failure, so used ARP 190000 psi 5/16 bolts with extreme care taken to achieve correct torque specs on bolts (apart form using stretch guage which i did not have at the time of install), have previously revved similar combo to over 7000 and pulled down with no apparent stretch or failure of bolts, racers in states have said that stock rods crank with proper prep are good to 7400 easy and seen go to 10000, too scared to even think about 10000rpm :AAHHH:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts