Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a few people who will win their windows down on stinking hot days instead of running the A/C to save money. On of them drives an AU. In our VS Grange, the trip computer is able to display other information that doesnt usually show up unless you hold the "Set" button in while you start the engine. This then displays km/h digitally (which, for some reason is 4km/h faster than the analog speedo) and also consumption in Liters per hour (which would be a more true way of measuring how much fuel was groing through the engine at one instance. Idling, it will show about 2.2-2.5L/h I decided to do the experiment of seeing how much more using the A/C used. At the time it was displaying 2.5L/h without the A/C and 2.6L/h with it on (thats 100ml per hour more, or 8.5c) Hardly worth boiling over?

·
Another Ford Driver
211 Posts
I'm not really so worried about the fuel consumption as the loss of power and the noticeable change this causes in the behaviour of the auto gearbox. My dad's AU forte is a lot more reluctant to kick down when the air conditioning is on, this has caused a couple of problems before so I generally dont use the air conditioning at all. The boss's VY SS doesn't change behaviour with the air con on or off, but then again the auto in that is a pain in the ass anyway.

·
goooone
2,708 Posts
The amount of fuel difference is so little it's not worth worrying about if you've spent so much money to get air why waste it by not using it. As for power I notice it on big hills in my Laser but in larger cars it doesn't make a huge difference & it's not like your racing so who cars about the at most several kw it uses

·
cArSiK
1,249 Posts
good thread.
I dont worry about the fuel , loss of power ect Im more worried about the fact that it increases my engine temp way too much

james

·
Newbie #10458632
100 Posts
chevypower said:
This then displays km/h digitally (which, for some reason is 4km/h faster than the analog speedo)
I know that Ford use a 3 km/h difference (e.g. every new Ford car is actually traveling 3km/h slower than it's claiming it is). I can't remember the reason, but there is one - I read about it once before.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
if i had AC i'd be using like i do water(qld heat sux) but yeah the consuption is little,so not worth worrying about.

i love the old style of all windows down thats free and doesnt cost ya*winks*

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
Not sure of exact figures but it is more economical driving with aircon on than it is to drive at 60kph or greater and have both front windows down........

·
gone
10,402 Posts
XLR8 said:
Not sure of exact figures but it is more economical driving with aircon on than it is to drive at 60kph or greater and have both front windows down........

Does that take into account ya granda ma and possie in the car?

·
pR()rN_*
1,966 Posts
Well I'm one of those non air con users.
I notice the few killerwat's not their and I want them back.
Also just because your car's air con doesn't make much differance doesn't account for every other car.
I notice much more fuel usage in the EB with the air con on so I turn it off and wind down the window.

BTW winding the windows down is only going to effect your drag co at about 90kph.
Admittantly the figure may be lower if both windows are down due to the cross flow effect.

Another reason I leave it off is because I prefer to get used to the weather around me rather than constantly change from hot to cold. Makes me sweat a lot more and it lowers your ability to cope.

·
Rail Rider
1,248 Posts
cArSiK said:
good thread.
Im more worried about the fact that it increases my engine temp way too much

james

Get a cooler thermostat during Summer.

Clean the crud out from between the condensor and the radiator.

·
Lord of the RC
2,515 Posts
Notice a little bit of difference in the EL, out of 17L or so i can get 150kms with no ac on, with ac it drops to about 120kms or so of city driving, but then could also be my driving style :wnc:

But hardly anything to really worry bout, if i have ac ill use it, sometimes have it on and the windows down as well just to get the nice feel of the air :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
The rule of thumb in modern cars is that an A/C will use the same amount of fuel as having one single window wound down.

And considering that an automatic gearbox will use more fuel than an A/C I'd be more worried about the comparison between man' and auto' boxes in regards to fuel usage.

What about the price crime of a certain manufacturer offering A/C as a cost option only and not standard at $2000. Hold en(sic) me back from buying gear like that...

·
Banned
2,045 Posts
In my EL - on a hot day - my car will go from 13.5l/100kms not on, to around 16.5l/100km - so aircon does make a difference for me, no idea why.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I notice maybe 1 litre/100km difference if I have been using it alot during the duration of my tank of fuel. But I'd rather feel cool as well as look cool driving my Ford!
The extra fuel consumption wouldn't cost you any more than the can of drink you might desire after driving around with the A/C off when it is hot.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
ill rather pay the extra dollars and driver in comfort when need be.

i dont get it, it just like people who line up at petrol stations for 15 mintues just to get 3 cents cheaper petrol. :)

·
I am a Turbo Wanker
2,379 Posts
With climate control the a/c compressor is only on for about 30sec at a time and cuts in and out every 30sec or so. So effectively the A/C isn't on long enough to make a difference.

My ED still averages 12.1L/100km around town and I have the A/C going all the time day night, hot cold no matter what. And I have a 3.45 diff. So go figure!

·
BOFH
7,560 Posts
I use my A/C, I love it and quite honestly I notice no major difference in power. As for economy.....well, I have no idea what my L per 100kms are, when it's empty I fill it.

I drove too many old non A/C cars when I was young....nowdays I use it 99% of the time.

·
Lord of the RC
2,515 Posts
Old car of mine A/C died when i lived in QLD that was bad :(

love my aircon now, even though i think its leaking :( could be an expensive fix..grrrr

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
Only notice it in puny cars - ie. my mother's Sonata. Other than that, I don't see the big concern. If you're driving a big 4l I6, V8 or similar, and you don't like using the air con because of fuel consumption, your logic baffles me!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts