Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 Splash with 3.0 5 speed,and 180k mi.Ive had little to no problems so far except it wont pull my boat very well.How much trouble would it be to swap out the 3.0 for a 4.0? :driver:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Not much at all dude, both engiens will physicaly fit into that compartment, what is your tranny, a standard or auto? Not only that but if you put a 4.0 in it you have to get a tranny to fit it. How big is your boat? Is it like mad heavy? If it is you want to get an auto, cuz you`ll distroy a standard towing big shit. Hope that helps ya guy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tranny is 5 speed,and the boat isnt mad heavy,I figure 700-1000lbs tops.Its only 16ft with 50 hp.I was hoping it would bolt up,the truck is 4x4 and didnt really wana mess with matching new tranny tranfer case etc.Will the computor need to be switched also?

·
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!
626 Posts
if its worth it to you to keep the truck, bolt on the 4.0. the trans would be little fab. If you do decide to do this allison makes a killer trans for that motor.

and 4 wheele parts got sum killer headers to help you move mountains, with 50 state legality.
www.4wheelparts.com

JBA Cat4ward® Headers are the perfect upgrade for todays emissions controlled cars, trucks and SUVs. Engineered with heavy duty features and patented technology, these headers deliver serious performance gains without compromising your vehicles emissions equipment. Bolting on a set of precision made JBA Cat4ward® Headers increases your engines breathing ability and overall efficiency. The result is a significant increase in horsepower and torque throughout the RPM range. You will also improve the throttle response and in some cases your vehicles fuel economy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Damn, I'd just keep the 3.0. I used one of our 3.0s to tow my 68 AMC (4000+ lbs) 50 miles - twice. Never struggled, but of course, wasn't driving fast (55-60). This was even when our truck was over 200k miles..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts