·
Village Idiot
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
..except it should say polish, not polich :doh:

·
Ford Appreciation Society
3,666 Posts
When the water stops beading, then its time for a polish....

·
cArSiK
1,249 Posts
i use a meguiars gold class polish , gives a awesome shine for about a month then is gone soon after.....reason being its made up of special oils and washing the car strips these off.....

so for me about every 2 months....

james

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
You can't really polish (wax) your car too much, every 2 months is good, every month is even better. Don't leave it longer than 3 months if it's in the sun a lot.

BTW, you really mean wax it, as polishing is taking a fine layer of paint off every time.
If paint is well looked after, that is waxed often enough, you won't have to polish it.
Only polish if the paint has lost it's shine.

Rick.

·
Village Idiot
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks.

Good links.

I always get confussed between polish, cutting agents and wax.
I thought that polish didnt remove paint, it was only the cut back stuff.

Thanks again
-Jase

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
Polish also 'cuts' the paint slightly, otherwise it wouldn't be called polish.
There are many different grades however, and depending on how bad the paint is, determines what grade polish to use.
Always finish with a wax.

Rick.

·
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel
3,582 Posts
The easiest way to tell if it needs it or not is to run your hand over over the paint work after you wash it. If like is smooth like glass then its fine. If the paint feels rough then it needs a wax.

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
Jamie XR6 said:
The easiest way to tell if it needs it or not is to run your hand over over the paint work after you wash it. If like is smooth like glass then its fine. If the paint feels rough then it needs a wax.
That's not quite true.
If the paint feels rough, then it needs a polish.
If the paint feels smooth, but 'grippy', thn it needs a wax.
If the paint feels smooth and 'slippery', then it's likely fine.

Rick.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Yeap what Soxx said,

Can't wax a car too much no such thing. Usually for newer cars a fine polish is whats needed as it cuts alot of the small stone chips and excess touchup paint (small white bits on the bonnet that i really really hate) out but doesn't takeaway the paint. After a polish the surface should be waxed to seal the paint otherwise the paint will be due for a polish again.

·
Falcontastic.
6,039 Posts
I've only ever polished, look's like I'm going to have to get myself some wax,I think I'll try the Mequire's wax,I've heard it is pretty good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts