Ford Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started to do research on this model - how well do these cars hold up? Are they fairly bulletproof?

Would like to know about transmission, engine, electronics, etc in detail

·
Super Moderator
1,537 Posts
They hold up very well. I drove my first CV over 400,000 with just routine maintenance and replacing the usual wear and tear items. That was almost all freeway commuting from home to L A and back. That car was probably the exception, but I have owned two more since, the latest an '05 Sport CV with over 200,000 miles on the odo and it has been just as reliable. I run synthetic oil only, change it regularly and it doesn't burn a drop. I modded the trans when new and haven't touched it since except for fluid and filter changes every 50,000. Except for a fuel pump and routine wear items it has been trouble free and 100% reliable. We own many other newer cars, but the CV always seems to be the car of choice for everyday driving and errand running. It is also the "go to" car for my kids and neighbors to borrow when theirs need repair.

·
Super Moderator
1,123 Posts
I have an 09 P71 with 185k miles on it. It’s been very reliable and well built. I also owned a 98 P71 for a while. That car had some little issues but the drivetrain was great. They can last a long time with just maintenance. If you buy one it’ll probably outlive all of us haha! Personally, I love Crown vics, they’re cheap to own and reliable and get decent gas mileage for a sedan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have an 09 P71 with 185k miles on it. It’s been very reliable and well built. I also owned a 98 P71 for a while. That car had some little issues but the drivetrain was great. They can last a long time with just maintenance. If you buy one it’ll probably outlive all of us haha! Personally, I love Crown vics, they’re cheap to own and reliable and get decent gas mileage for a sedan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
any problems to look out for?

·
Registered
2000 grand marquis ls with handling package, magnaflow mufflers,dual exhaust, 3.55 rear axle
93 Posts
Just started to do research on this model - how well do these cars hold up? Are they fairly bulletproof?

If you can find one that has been owned by an elderly couple and taken care of it will be about the best 10 year old car you can get for the money. I have one that is 20 years old and it is still a good car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you want something you can drive forever and never change the oil, of course the vehicle will fail. If you do mods that damage the integrity of the vehicle, like cold air intakes or lowering it, yes, it will fail. Drive it like a maniac, burnouts, drifting, any form of vehicle abuse and it will fail.
Leave it basically stock, do routine maintenance, check air pressures and tread depth, rotate tires per schedule, do oil and filter changes per schedule, and yes, it can last 300,000 - 400,000 miles or more.
You want to f it up, or enjoy a great ride, it's up to you.

·
Registered
12 Posts

2010 was supposed to be the final model year, but the St. Thomas plant was kept open and production continued until the majority of parts had been used-up. Cars made from the leftover parts are considered 2011 vehicles, and are considered rare.
Most of the 2011 vehicles were taxi's (about 85%), some were law enforcement vehicles, and a VERY FEW (less than 3,000) were built for the consumer or fleet market.
The last vehicle produced was a white Crown Victoria taxi, assembled September 3, 2011 and purchased by a person in Saudi Arabia. I have heard the vehicle recently was seen in a vehicle auction, but I have no specific information.
Otherwise, there is information and videos all over the wed on Panther platform vehicles, which included Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis, and Lincoln Town Car.
If you consider buying one, the Lincoln is the most desirable and featured, second is the Mercury Grand Marquis, and a distant last is the Ford Crown Victoria.
But the well is drying-up, and GOOD examples of any of the Panther vehicles have become very, very hard to find.
Almost without exception, Ford Crown Victorias currently in the market have been completely trashed and made worthless.
If you want to get serious, first-person information on these vehicles, let me know. I was a production support engineer at St. Thomas for over 15 years.

·
Super Moderator
1,537 Posts
2010 was supposed to be the final model year, but the St. Thomas plant was kept open and production continued until the majority of parts had been used-up. Cars made from the leftover parts are considered 2011 vehicles, and are considered rare.
Most of the 2011 vehicles were taxi's (about 85%), some were law enforcement vehicles, and a VERY FEW (less than 3,000) were built for the consumer or fleet market.
The last vehicle produced was a white Crown Victoria taxi, assembled September 3, 2011 and purchased by a person in Saudi Arabia. I have heard the vehicle recently was seen in a vehicle auction, but I have no specific information.
Otherwise, there is information and videos all over the wed on Panther platform vehicles, which included Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis, and Lincoln Town Car.
If you consider buying one, the Lincoln is the most desirable and featured, second is the Mercury Grand Marquis, and a distant last is the Ford Crown Victoria.
But the well is drying-up, and GOOD examples of any of the Panther vehicles have become very, very hard to find.
Almost without exception, Ford Crown Victorias currently in the market have been completely trashed and made worthless.
If you want to get serious, first-person information on these vehicles, let me know. I was a production support engineer at St. Thomas for over 15 years.
Lincoln being the "most desirable" is a matter of taste. Many, myself included, consider the '05 CV Sport the "most desirable" Panther.

·
Registered
2000 grand marquis ls with handling package, magnaflow mufflers,dual exhaust, 3.55 rear axle
93 Posts
Would you happen to know, did ford ever consider updating the panther platform with a
back up camera, 6 speed transmission, and possibly the coyote v8 or were they determined to replace it with the new taurus built on the volvo platform?

·
Super Moderator
1,537 Posts
I would buy a Coyote powered 10 speed, or better yet, a 7.3 powered 10 speed, CV in a heartbeat. But, alas, I would not hold my breath. As good as the Aussie Pontiac G8 was, it failed to sell here (in the US) in Impala guise.
The Volvo platform is dead, Ford sold Volvo years ago.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would buy a Coyote powered 10 speed, or better yet, a 7.3 powered 10 speed, CV in a heartbeat. But, alas, I would not hold my breath. As good as the Aussie Pontiac G8 was, it failed to sell here (in the US) in Impala guise.
The Volvo platform is dead, Ford sold Volvo years ago.
But ford continued to use the volvo platform for their ford 500/ taurus until 2019. Even though those cars did not sell that well either, they contributed to the demise of the panther cars because ford had two full size cars competing against each other. Even though mechanically, they were much different, they were competing for the same customers, people who wanted a full size sedan with a big trunk..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Would you happen to know, did ford ever consider updating the panther platform with a
back up camera, 6 speed transmission, and possibly the coyote v8 or were they determined to replace it with the new taurus built on the volvo platform?
Many engine/transmission combinations were tested, some subtle changes passed into production vehicles, but nothing major. Interior changes including emerging technology were certainly evaluated, but not incorporated into Panther production because of the planned end of production.
You should also keep in mind that the entire basis of the Panther platform was a Body-on Frame foundation and a full-sized rear-wheel drive vehicle with a V8 engine, which didn't lend itself to the changes required to remain competitive in the marketplace (like smaller, lighter cars, uni-body construction, smaller engines and drivetrains, front-wheel drive, etc).
As for Volvo, Ford had entered into a partnership with Volvo where Ford would design and produce the body, Volvo would design and produce the drivetrain. (That's just the gist of it, and it was/is much more complicated than that.)
Much became of this partnership, including the Ford Fusion but also a large quantity of other significant changes and improvements is many models.

·
Registered
12 Posts
But ford continued to use the volvo platform for their ford 500/ taurus until 2019. Even though those cars did not sell that well either, they contributed to the demise of the panther cars because ford had two full size cars competing against each other. Even though mechanically, they were much different, they were competing for the same customers, people who wanted a full size sedan with a big trunk..
That's not true. Ford never had a problem producing 2 or 3 different vehicles in the same class. Just look at the Panther models !
Ending Panther production had been considered several times by Ford management, as early as 1996 ! Ultimately, in 2005, in a series of meetings the decision was finally made to end production and permanently close the St. Thomas plant.
There are a lot of reasons for stopping production, but it all boiled down to money! Sales of Panther vehicles has been seriously decreasing since 2002, but in 2003-2005, sales and future sales predictions were the primary reasons for ending production.
As it turned out, the sales predictions were right on the mark, as sales in 2007-2008 went through the floor.
As a side note, one of the reasons sited for loss of sales was that the vehicles were built too good and were far too reliable. Buyers didn't have to buy a new one every 3 years. Instead they kept the one they had because it could easily last 10, 15, 20 years and more.

·
Registered
93 Posts
That's not true. Ford never had a problem producing 2 or 3 different vehicles in the same class. Just look at the Panther models !
Ending Panther production had been considered several times by Ford management, as early as 1996 ! Ultimately, in 2005, in a series of meetings the decision was finally made to end production and permanently close the St. Thomas plant.
There are a lot of reasons for stopping production, but it all boiled down to money! Sales of Panther vehicles has been seriously decreasing since 2002, but in 2003-2005, sales and future sales predictions were the primary reasons for ending production.
As it turned out, the sales predictions were right on the mark, as sales in 2007-2008 went through the floor.
As a side note, one of the reasons sited for loss of sales was that the vehicles were built too good and were far too reliable. Buyers didn't have to buy a new one every 3 years. Instead they kept the one they had because it could easily last 10, 15, 20 years and more.
I know they are gone and never coming back but there are a lot of us who were sad to see them go. Back in 2007 when gas was over $4 per gallon nobody including myself could have predicted fuel prices being a low as they are now. It turns out not many really want those small cars with small engines after all if fuel prices are low. That is why they are being discontinued now. I think one thing that hurt sales were that the panther cars were considered old people cars. If ford would have put the coyote v8 and modern transmission with more gears and updated the interior they could have sold more. Kind of like what Chrysler did with the 300 and dodge charger. They made those cars have kind of a bad ass image so that young people wanted them. I know it would be hard to sell large numbers of sedans because everyone wants a sport utility now, but there are some of us who would still buy a v8 rear wheel drive car with a frame if it was available, especially if was very powerful. Like you said Americans want power.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know they are gone and never coming back but there are a lot of us who were sad to see them go. Back in 2007 when gas was over $4 per gallon nobody including myself could have predicted fuel prices being a low as they are now. It turns out not many really want those small cars with small engines after all if fuel prices are low. That is why they are being discontinued now. I think one thing that hurt sales were that the panther cars were considered old people cars. If ford would have put the coyote v8 and modern transmission with more gears and updated the interior they could have sold more. Kind of like what Chrysler did with the 300 and dodge charger. They made those cars have kind of a bad ass image so that young people wanted them. I know it would be hard to sell large numbers of sedans because everyone wants a sport utility now, but there are some of us who would still buy a v8 rear wheel drive car with a frame if it was available, especially if was very powerful. Like you said Americans want power.
You'll probably get your wish. Toyota has made some long-term changes in vehicle production that will allow production of body-on-frame, rear-wheel drive, full-size vehicles in 2021/2022 time frame. The Texas Tacoma Plant is closed, along with the Baja Tacoma plant, with a new Tacoma Plant in Guanajuato doing the Tacoma building. With the re-structuring, you'll soon get a shot at a 300hp rear-wheel-drive vehicle in the $30,000 - $42,000 market segment. But if you have the money, you can get one now in a Lexus for about $85,000. Have fun ...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts