Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
www.cruzinforacure.com
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here so hello all,
Just wanted to know much power the T5 manual can handle. I'm hoping to do a project next year & want between 500-600hp. Is this to much power for a T5? Is there any stronger manual's for the 4.0L six.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve

·
Australian TE50 AU1 Member
194 Posts
I asked the same question some time ago and the answers i got were: it's a strong box but from 240 -280kw be careful, no dropping clutches dragging off everything and you should be ok. 280kw+ forget it. Tickford have put a stronger box in the new 250kw T series so that should tell you something, hope this helps.

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
The T5 transmission will not take much more than around 200-220 Kw.
Laminge used this in his 330Kw beast and blew them up, so he replaced it with a T-56.
Generally the tourque loads are what you need to watch with the transmissions, not the actual power of the engine.
This is the Tremec website, it has info on the torque handling capacity of each of it's Boxes. You may also need to look at an automatic box :nuts:
http://www.ttcautomotive.com

Hope this helps.

·
gone
10,402 Posts
DONUT KING said:
The T5 transmission will not take much more than around 200-220 Kw.
Laminge used this in his 330Kw beast and blew them up, so he replaced it with a T-56.
Generally the tourque loads are what you need to watch with the transmissions, not the actual power of the engine.
This is the Tremec website, it has info on the torque handling capacity of each of it's Boxes. You may also need to look at an automatic box :nuts:
http://www.ttcautomotive.com

Hope this helps.
Too Right

That T5 just wont handle the grunt over the 220kw at fly, anything higher and your asking for trouble, i thought I would get away with it and it cost me heaps!

The prob is shift change of 2nd and 3rd, too much torque at the wrong moment will strip 2nd and jam up 3rd causing the whole box to die!

Speaking from experience!!!

·
Copyright �2003
1,517 Posts
laminge said:

Too Right

That T5 just wont handle the grunt over the 220kw at fly, anything higher and your asking for trouble, i thought I would get away with it and it cost me heaps!

The prob is shift change of 2nd and 3rd, too much torque at the wrong moment will strip 2nd and jam up 3rd causing the whole box to die!

Speaking from experience!!!
Yikes! I hope something I'm not going to see happen for a while yet. Although I did kiss the clutch goodbye the other day. :rolleyes:

btw, how you finding the new box? The feel, the gear throw, the ratios, etc. Had any teething problems?

·
Copyright �2003
1,517 Posts
laminge said:
Nah Mate

That box is sensational,

Its a joy to hear the rev limiter in 1st 2nd 3rd

The clutch is still a worry!!!!

hehe, good stuff! :D

I saw a mention of you using a kevlar clutch in a previous thread. Is that still a go'er or are you hurting them as well.

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Smoken em is the word

I seem to rev her the wrong way in achieving a steady take off, might be that i ride her to hard!

Its lasted 12,000 or so.

·
www.cruzinforacure.com
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your reply guys. Looks like I'll have to go for something a bit stronger.
laminge, where did you get your T56 from & how much do they go for?
Thanks again,
Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts