Ford Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
With a 302 all u have to do is upgrade the front suspension to V8 springs and for a 351 u have to have 4 wheel disks , I only had drums on the rear at the time so i told them it was a 302 also insurance was cheaper with a 302. My motor was from an XC gxl runnin super so no cats i was advised on the noise as mine was 4db over i think ur only allowed 94db. best thing to do with canberra is degrease ur motor and give ur car a wash before u go if it looks good and neat they are good.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sorry and just put it through as a motor swap. Good luck.
The miss's stole my XF after i got it rego'd and i got stuck drivin a hilux ute till i got her a ED to drive only just got the old girl back. The only car i've had that i liked to drive better was my John goss special would love to have that back.

·
Registered
53 Posts
thanks for that, looking forward to getting my hands dirty.
Mines on gas, but I might run it on fuel again.
cheers
frank

·
Registered
33 Posts
If ur runnin on gas i would try to stay that way. The rego boys will like u a bit better as its a cleaner fuel. Then u dont have to run a fuel pump and can remove ur fuel tank and lines. Im goin to convert mine to gas and remove the fuel tank , have a drop down dummy drop tank made from stainless steel and then have my spare tire , tools and jack and maybe battery put in the dummy tank will make more room in me boot & look a bit better.

·
XD V8 Owner
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
xf351clev said:
If ur runnin on gas i would try to stay that way. The rego boys will like u a bit better as its a cleaner fuel. Then u dont have to run a fuel pump and can remove ur fuel tank and lines.
Yeah this is the exact requirement in NSW. Straight Gas and no fuel pump, lines or fuel tank to be left on the car.

You mentained earlier xf351clev that yours is an '85 model.

Makes me think of story I heard from a guy who converted an '85 XF (sorry don't know month), he got away with running petrol because he said the v8 Fairlanes continued through '85 which therefore allowed him to use the engine. Not sure if he is right, but he said he got it enginered and registered.

Cheers

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think because my motor was from an XC i only had to comply with the regs for an XC , if it had been a later model i would have had to do whatever for that year or model.

·
Registered
53 Posts
great thread...
one question is it a problem iof i relocate the heater pipes ( from the heater core) to a position thru the firewall which is higher relative to the radiator cap???

frank

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have been told to turn the heater core upside down and redrill the holes and this will clear the heads and still have the heater in its original position. I havnt done this myself cos i was using it as a everyday car but now she's gettin some work and have an xd for a hack i was goin to strip the dash back to the firewall and see if its true, have to get another heater core as lost mine through movin a couple of times. As i said this is what ive been told not positive will post after i try but cant see why it wouldnt work

·
ignorance is bliss
281 Posts
Mate here put a Cleveland into a leaded xf ute and turned the heater core upside down and redrilled holes higher up..works a treat. Had to alter the pipe angles a bit but apart from that not a big drama I think . Will find out more if anyones interested

·
XD V8 Owner
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
clevokid said:
Will find out more if anyones interested
I think there would be plenty of people interested if you want to take the time to find out, judging by the responses to this thread.

Cheers

·
ignorance is bliss
281 Posts
No probs will catch up and get some info. Have got a clevo/c10 into an 86 XF myself but no heater hooked up as not going to be road used.

·
Pro-M Distributor
401 Posts
I have a 85 FE LTD fitted with a 351 Cleveland in SA. I purchased a rotten ZK 351 and used motor, gearbox and tailshaft from that. The heater core was removed, new pipes brazed on to give clearance for the Cleveland. The 6cyl Falcons (XD - XF) didn't get the extra welding on the strut tower gusset so the Engineer made us do that. I also gave the front crossmember the stitch weld treatment for good measure.I used tall polished Ford Motorsport rocker covers which required a little panelbeating of the firewall but not too much. The Cleveland makes this car so much better than the original beast - oh btw - I still have the cruise control set up on this - trip computer has a heat attack though..
Shane
(Falcon City - Adelaide)

·
ignorance is bliss
281 Posts
Ford Grunt said:
Whats your planned use then? Drag Strip

Cheers
Not with this shell its just one I bought to wreck and decided to put the driveline into it as the engine has been sitting on the stand for a while.
Havent decided whether to build another shell or sell the combo to finance other things. Might post gear in for sale and see if anyones interested in a 378 Clevo,good C10 and 3.0lsd nine inch centre and go from there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
heater pipes, XF.....
I just completed my install of a 302 clevo into my 90 XF ute.
I extended the pipes up the side of the heater core, only needs to go about 100mm) and drilled a new hole. this kept the a/c . turning the core upside down won't work as you can't close the heater box as the pipes sit too high.

cheers

·
XD V8 Owner
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
uaw7u said:
heater pipes, XF.....
I just completed my install of a 302 clevo into my 90 XF ute.
I extended the pipes up the side of the heater core, only needs to go about 100mm) and drilled a new hole. this kept the a/c . turning the core upside down won't work as you can't close the heater box as the pipes sit too high.

cheers
Sounds like a neat job, and you kept the air cond nice work!

·
ignorance is bliss
281 Posts
clevokid said:
Mate here put a Cleveland into a leaded xf ute and turned the heater core upside down and redrilled holes higher up..works a treat. Had to alter the pipe angles a bit but apart from that not a big drama I think . Will find out more if anyones interested
Caught up with mate and this is wrong. He said had to alter the box the core sits in(his words) he got a new core and had the pipes extended so they ran up one side and instead of exiting at the bottom of the core they came out at the top of it. Put rubber grommets in the old holes and when you open the bonnet looks like it was made that way

·
###AND EDGT DRIVER###
713 Posts
think you can do it both ways aslong as its higher.

was a while ago i did mine remeber de-soldering one pipe turning 180degree and redrilling the other over a bit and blanking off the extra hole reasembling the box with silicon and filling the lower heater hole. redrilling the firewall.

something like that was 5yrs ago.

·
heard it before!
872 Posts
i've seen many XF V8s and helped with one! used running gear from 77 LTD 351 fmx with extractors. done over a weekwnd. used XE V8 acellerator cable and custom tail shaft(not required for C10 transmission) i would use ZJ(leaf spring lsd :insane: diff for wagon) or ZK(coil spring lsd diff for sedan)fairlane as donor due to normal elec ignition if i was fitting a Clevo again. used ghia disc brake rear with master cyl and hand brake cable. exhaust from XE V8 new, used shit power steer pump which came with 1977 motor(have seen XF pump on V8s its Far better) as for fire wall mods we (bit bodgy) bent heater pipes upward a bit and cut a little from them(didn't know about modifying heater core back then) gave a little belting with hammer to the firewall below heater outlets. fitted new lowered V8 XE front springs. went like a 351 falcon(not as quick as an EB falcon) , ran hot as most Clevelands do ,handled like a 351 falcon (6cyl has FAR better handling) drank like a 351 even on gas (impco on top of 600 holley) drove for 3 months (still rego as 6 cyl) and blew up and wrecked! Ivegot my time over and i wouldn't use an XE etc for rust reasons mainly (i do frefer the dash layout though). i would prefer to use a 302 windsor as i now hate clevelands. but i am considering a LEXUS 1UZFE alloy quad cam 4.0 V8. if i thought an XF was worth it I would buy an XG XR6 UTE and put in interior dash and running gear in those 4.0 motors FLY. straight LPGAS is the way to go(impco also make great straight gas carbs that live under a normal V8 air cleaner use 2 if necissary) i've been using it for ten years. fuel injection has too many things to play up and is more costly

·
Registered
1 Posts
Heater Box

Mate,

Why did your so called mechanics muck round with the engine mounts??!!!

Ive had my 351 Cleveland in my XF for 8 years, all I had done was replumb the heater hoses in through the aircon holes in the firewall further to the left side of the car.

Too easy, now hassles, heater is toasty as when you want it, looks factory, plus I have all control of each vent as you normally should. Im baffled at why you had so much trouble. I converted 3 XFs all this way and didnt have one problem.

Another option is to drop in a Windsor and you dont have to change anything as they are a skinnier blocked motor and the hoses outlets make it past the passenger side head.

Sorry to hear about your experience. If you want to know more about correct fitments just ask as Im confident in helping anyone with this modification.

ViGiLaNtE
Gday
Your xf sounds mint
Roadworthy requirements
Ie exhaust
Emissions
Brakes
Anything else

81 - 100 of 101 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.