Ford Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already know I need a high pressure universal inline electric fuel pump?
Will I run into any ecu or preexisting wiring problems?
Will I need a fuel pressure regulatory?
Is the new wiring straight forward or will it be messy?
Has any ever done this to a modern ecu and EFI car?
Other things I need besides a DIY homemade fuel tank?
Any other things that I need to know before trying this?
Any info will be helpful its hard to research this topic. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
7,785 Posts
That's because it's generally looked upon as a bad idea. I prefer an external pump as well, but they tend to fail faster than the in-tank ones do to the fuel keeping the pump cooler. The in line or high pressure pump required a low pressure pump that was part of the sending unit (hence the name) because the high pressure pump had poor lift and required a booster. If you're trying to avoid having your fuel pump fouled by dirt on the bottom of your tank, I'd suggest watching where you by your gas, as there's still a pump inside the tank that will still fail and possibly take out the high pressure pump as well do to a lack of fuel sent to it.

If you still want to go down this road, the PCM probably won't care as long as it acts like a fuel pump. Since you're now going to be running 2 pumps, I'd suggest a second relay that pulls in with the original fuel pump to engage the second pump as well as a second set of wires and fuse. Odds are, the tank bung will not fit a sending unit with the low pressure pump (shouldn't make a difference, both still have a pump, but manufacturers never make it that easy), so tank welding will be in order. If the old tank is fouled to begin with, might be worth modifying a new tank, welding on a tank that has had fuel in it can be quite tricky. You will also need a donor tank to provide you with such a bung and sending unit. There may be "no-weld" bungs out there for aftermarket sending units, but on a short search, I couldn't find one. Wires will need to be modified to accommodate the new setup, there will be some minor fuel line mods, and there's no guarantee that your gas gauge will be accurate anymore.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts