Ford Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to get a stereo in an XF to actually fit all the way into the dash?
I know a few people that have this problem.
I have a pioneer head unit and when it is installed it sticks out by about 6-7mm from the facia plate.
It seems to hit the vent tube inside the dash
Can anyone help me?

Also does anyone have any pics of and XF fairmont/fairlane dash. I want to see where the stereo mounts in this dash as I may get one later.

Thanks guys.
Paul.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I had a Pioneer stereo in my XF until I upgraded to EB, seemed to fit OK but I didn't install it so I can't be of much help, sorry. Try asking a car stereo shop.

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I spoke to the guys at JB HIFI and they said the same thing, they never fit properly.

·
Australian Ford Member
1,120 Posts
It's a fair few years ago, but I recall the same problem in trying to fit a replacement radio in my XF. I have a feeling there's some fixture for screwing it in at the back of the hole and that I solved the problem by removing it or bending it. I also recall some problem caused by the aerial plug fouling the same thing or something else, maybe wires, in the hole. I know I got it to fit eventually, but it took a bit of fiddling around.

I think there might have been a different fascia for the radio that let it sit proud of the hole while still giving a neat fit, but I don't know if it was a radio part or a Ford part.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
A mate of mine did have an XF Fairmont and he put a Pioneer deck in it and unfortunatly the same deal it doesn't fit flush with the surround, so being my mate, him and his old man managed to dodgy it up by fit it in with a metal plate, i'll have to ask him how he did itadn get back to you. But from memory when i sat in the pasenger seat it didn't fit that nicely.

Seems the XF didn't have a standard DIN size of stereo's.

·
gone
10,402 Posts
(\/)ADXF said:
Does anyone know how to get a stereo in an XF to actually fit all the way into the dash?
I know a few people that have this problem.
I have a pioneer head unit and when it is installed it sticks out by about 6-7mm from the facia plate.
It seems to hit the vent tube inside the dash
Can anyone help me?

Also does anyone have any pics of and XF fairmont/fairlane dash. I want to see where the stereo mounts in this dash as I may get one later.

Thanks guys.
Paul.
Ring Garys Car radio in Richmond, ask for Tom, tell him gary referred you, this guy will tell you how to fit it!!!

·
ST170ish
610 Posts
XF audio.......

A head unit in a XF sticks out if there is something behind the unit as the guys said before(wires/fuses/arieals)another thing that a lot of people dont realise is that in XF's the head unit angles towards the driver!If you put the unit in strait it will stick out.......anyway the head unit is a minor problem in the XF what about the front door speakers ever tried to fit some......I have the same problem as I have a 98XH ute with the same doors and trims even though we are talking a 13yr age diference.The speaker positions in the dash suck(stage/imaging)What I'm doing with the ute is 3way front speakers,tweeters and 4in midrange's in the kick panels(had to move the efi computer),6.5in midbasses in the doors and a 10in sub mounted in a fibre glass enclosure next to the petrol tank under the ute bed/floor(you cant see it from any angle!)It aint complete yet but it soon will be I'll post some pics when Im done

·
Officially Bored with 347
3,584 Posts
This may not help but you asked for ideas....
Since the air vent tube is plastic(isnt it??) why not just get a heat gun or something similar that doesnt emit flames & heat it & squash it a little just enuff so that head unit sits flush???
YAY??? NAY????
Cheers
Brett

·
Sideways..
1,652 Posts
I fitted mine entirely myself (86 XF sedan), and it managed to sit in perfectly flush with the new face plate I purchased. Maybe i was just lucky? And it was also a Pioneer deck.

If you want instructions on how to install it, just say so and i'll tell you how. its piss easy, just need to remove some screws and thats it.

·
ST170ish
610 Posts
Yes you can heat the heater tube or you can make a trim for the head unit.When I had a XF we come across the same problem as they only had the old style of head unit so you have to make a new trim plate to surround the new H/U the trick is the XF's radio was angled slightly(passenger side of H/U stuck out more)so the trim plate must incorperate this angle and the H/U's installation cage must also be on this angle with 2 L shaped brackets(one longer)its a tight fit but it can be done......some H/U's have a heatsink that stick out further than the DIN size too...You might be able to use a trim from a XH ute which has the same surround shape as the XF and sticks out abit where the ashtray is(right under H/U) so it will look matched in(factory)try the motor wreckers?

·
Australian EB Fairmont Ghia Member
1,151 Posts
I had a Clarion headunit in my XF.. it fitted flush and was angled towards the driver.
I got it done at Nova Car Systems in Newcastle.

·
Australian Falcon Member
65 Posts
I dont know if this will help but I had a XF Fairmont Ghiaand fitted a JVC cd unit with no problems.

I dont know if the Ghia dash is a little different to falcons when it comes to positioning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
how on earth did u guys put in the installation cage in?

i cant see anywhere to hold it in? am i missing something?

the old radio, had things sticking out the side that bolted it in, the new cage doesnt have these, so short of chopping off the old ones and sticking em to the new cage im not sure waht to do.

car is XF falcon 1986 S-pac, can anyone help me out here?

·
sidewayzalwayz
12 Posts
I put a head unit in my xf with out mach trouble, i just spaced out the frount of the head unit with some 18mm mdf. and it looks better than most i have seen.i will see if i have some pic to upload

1 - 15 of 15 Posts