Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m bored so I made a small tutorial.

I am using an E Series car in this example.

Step 1: *DISCONNECT the positive battery terminal* this is important, saves you from damaging anything on the head unit if something goes wrong. Next remove the top two screws which sit above the stock radio. As you will see the plastic cover surround folds down, unplug the cigarette lighter (3 plugs from memory, ground/light globe/accessory.

Step 2: With the special shape screwdriver :p, or if you don’t have get a small flat head and pliers, unscrew the two screws which hold the radio in place. Slowly pull the radio forward, when you feel a little bit of struggle, place your hand behind the unit and remove the aerial (black thick wire in the right bottom of the radio). Next unplug the wiring loom.

Step 3: You have a few options here. If you want to be real neat and tidy, go purchase a ford clip. Or go to the wreckers and get one that has come out of a radio and cut it off. You have a few choices here, you can either use the stock speaker wiring, or lay out your own. I recommend spending an extra 30 min and $15 and purchase some high quality audio wire and layout fresh wiring.

Step 4: While everything is out, go place the positive battery terminal back on. Now with a voltmeter find the direct battery wire. Then turn accessories on and find the accessories wire. Ground wire is usually black btw. *write this down on paper it helps*

Step 5: To find the speaker wires, get a 1.5 volt battery and connect a wire to each end. Now with the left over wires, go threw and touch 2 at a time. When you hear a noise come from one speaker it means you have found the wiring for it. To check what is + - , as you touch the wires, if the cone on the speaker moves inwards, it is the wrong way. If it moves forward this means it is correct. *Write this down on paper for later use*. If you lay out your own wiring, please run the wiring down one side of the car to the back, and try to have 1 length rather than a few joins.

Step 6: Unplug the positive battery terminal again. Seriously, do not twist wires together and tape them up, this sucks. Because you have a plug (which I told you to get before), and you know all the wires, you can now simply go into your garage, take out the soldiering iron and soldier those damm wires together. Take you time soldiering, make sure they are done properly and won’t come loose. Each head unit have different colour wires, so follow the wiring diagram they supply please. *do not assume*

Step 7: Once everything has been soldiered up correctly, mount the brackets on the side of the head unit. Using small screws, check you head unit manual/diagram to see what screws you may need. Connect the plug you made into the stock one, connect the aerial and slide the head unit in place.

Step 8: Connect the positive terminal back on the battery. Turn on accessories in the car. You head unit should turn on. If it does not turn on then press the power button on it, if that don’t work you have wired something wrong so please return to step 4.

Step 9: With the head unit on, fade left to right, test that all speakers are working and sound clear. If you’re happy and feel that nothing needs to be double checked, then put the screws back in to secure the head unit, connect to cig lighter plugs, and screw back together the plastic surround.

Step 10: Take the car for a drive, go over a few bumps to see if the system doesn’t shut off.

The END

Answers to a few peoples questions that might be asked:
1. We soldier wires to make a secure connection and reduce the chance of wires coming apart
2. We use a plug because it makes the installation neat, and can be removed and the stock radio can be put back in place with no dramas.
3. Wiring of rear speakers goes down one side of the car, because if an amp is every install the power cable can be run down the middle, or other side to avoid interference.

If I have left anything out, please let me know.

Cheers

·
"Steve has a car?"
2,207 Posts
Perhaps you could pm or e-mail this to alex aka "the goodz" so he can put it up on eafalcon.com, we need more tutorials on there...

·
Banned
555 Posts
the correct way to check for a pair of speaker wires would be to use a $12 multimeter set to resitance, then you try pairs of wires until u get a reading this will also tell you if you have burnt voice coils.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You can do it that way aswell :) i only do that when something has gone wrong though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts