Ford Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the water pump and the Gates belt did not come with instructions. I read somewhere that a 3mm zip tie is needed but I still have not found instructions. 2012 Ford Fusion 3.0 Flex. Help?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 2008 video doesn't apply. I watched the 2012 video and he made it look easy. It isn't. I'm going to try again to angle the water pump with the belt on both pulleys and bring the water pump into the housing by tightening only the one upper bolt until it seats in the housing, and then install the other 2 bolts. I hope it works.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I couldn't get the water pump assembly to pull into the housing as the 2012 Ford Fusion Youtube guy talks about how easy it is. So the water pump is in but I still need to get the belt on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I received advice to turn the crank by hand. I used large channel Lock pliers to grip behind the drive pulley and turn it until the belt seated properly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Both of these videos are incorrect. If you're replacing the water pump it makes sense to also install a new belt. Therefore the old one can simply be cut off. To install the new one you need access to the crankshaft pulley bolt and a helper. This means removing the front left wheel and then removing the plastic inner fender shield to expose the crankshaft pulley bolt. Have your helper ready to rotate the crankshaft clockwise using a wrench while you put the new belt in place. You won't be able to completely install it but get it into position so that when you're ready have your helper slowly turn the crankshaft as you "walk" the belt up onto the pulley. Haynes suggests using a flexible leather or plastic strap between the pulley and the belt to help do this, then pull the strap out quickly to seat the belt. Both Haynes and the factory service manual warn NOT to use the starter to do this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts