Ford Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister manages a Mobil station out west here, and has given myself and everyone else she can tell the full rundown on how petrol pricing works - and how to save money.

The wholesale price is determined by the respective company, and includes all the gov.tax, levies, etc. The actual margin made by the servos themselves is minor. In fact, the fuel is often the bait to lure you into their shops, where you buy food/cigs etc which produces the servos real profit.

It varies from servo to servo, but in general, servos undergo a price 'restoration' on Monday/Tuesday nights. All this hoo-har the ACCC is going on about is a result of this practise. From that price restoration, the price slowly drops over the week, where the lowest price is often on weekends, sometimes Mondays. At this point, servos are often selling fuel at cost, or marginally above it. Therefore, if you want the best price on your fuel buy on Sunday/Monday. Note, this practise occurs mostly in Sydney. It's not so prevalent in other states, and in Queensland, it doesn't appear to happen at all.

I was forced to top up last night, and scored Optimax for a measly 91.5c. This should go down a tad further over the weekend, so I'll fill up Sunday before arriving for this meet. If fuel is a bit pricier in other parts of Sydney, it might be worth waiting until you get out west to fill up if you are cost conscious.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Good tip there mate, the last week around the mountains fuel has been relatively cheap compared to normal. Synergy in Blaxland was 94.9.

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Yep, I remember (with much hatred) the fluctuating cycle around Sydney. It was pretty bad around Wahroonga, the cycle would change from week to week (so I guess you couldn't call it a cycle really!). Up here in Tweed Heads, there really isn't much of a cycle.. it's pretty good most of the time. Filled up yesterday on Optimax for 81.5 :nuts: :nuts: :nuts: Regular stuff was 75.5!

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Geez 81.5 a litre for optimax, thats a good deal, and 75.5 for regular, thats goin back high school days for me, when fuel was in the 70c. IF only fuel was like that everywhere else.

·
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast
478 Posts
Cheap price there seems good now but I read that discounting is so fierce that petrol is sometimes being sold for less than wholesale. Indepedant servos could/are get driven out of business and then watch the prices soar as big oil companies do a fix.

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Definitely potentially true. However, Tweed is a bit unique in that it still adheres to NSW policies, but since it's right on the border, all the juice is trucked in from QLD anyway and therefore attracts a QLD-like price. Best of both worlds in a way.. :rolleyes:

G

·
0 Posts
In WA our fuel usually goes up before the weekend.
At the moment we are paying around 83.9c for regular and 91.9c for Premium.

EF_Falcon_GuY said:
thats goin back high school days for me, when fuel was in the 70c. IF only fuel was like that everywhere else.

I wish fuel was at the price when I went to high school 38.9c :( .

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
When I moved to Sydney in 1989 I was paying 9.9c (for LPG!)

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Hehehe yeah my high school days with a car was 1997. 38.9c would have been sweet, bet you guys took petrol for granted.
Could run a Hoey.:D :D

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
95.2 for ULP and 99.5 for optimax down here. I am jealous of some of those prices. Haven't seen prices like that for well over 15 months in Tassie

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
HSE2 said:
95.2 for ULP and 99.5 for optimax down here. I am jealous of some of those prices. Haven't seen prices like that for well over 15 months in Tassie
They're up around 1.04-1.07 in Bathurst 1.07-1.09 last i was @ home :fmad::fmad::fmad::fmad::fmad:

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
At one stage petrol was like $103.9 in Canberra, but go 5km over the border into Queanbeyan and it was 99.9. Currently though its 96.5 for Regular in Queanbeyan last time I checked

·
How bloody Hot is it ??!!
264 Posts
when i was in Brisbane at Christmas Time last year, my eyes were popping out of my head.. 74.4 for Optimax.. i must have filled up at that servo a dozen times....

G

·
0 Posts
EF_Falcon_GuY said:
Hehehe yeah my high school days with a car was 1997. 38.9c would have been sweet, bet you guys took petrol for granted.
Could run a Hoey.:D :D

Yeah those days we had real fuel not the sh!t we have know.
Nothing like a bit of lead poisoning to kill a few brain cells.:CraZ:

·
BA XR6T
111 Posts
In Hobart prices have dropped this week to 88.4 for ULP and 91.4 for Caltex/Ampol Premium....
Just hope it stays this low:rolleyes:

·
EL Fairmont Ghia Member
190 Posts
Unleaded was 82.5 here.......so Synergy 8000 cost me 89.5 cents a litre, still a bloody rip off.......

That was after the price jumped from 85 to 93+ over the weekend. I am sure the price hike was to cover for the Queen's birthday present or something............

Jas

·
Registered
453 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
When I moved to Sydney in 1989 I was paying 9.9c (for LPG!)
I can remember filling my dads XC SFLPG sedan and paying 11c per litre for LPG in Melbourne. cant remember what year?
He used to have a tee piece set up in the boot so when he ran out of LPG he could hook up a BBQ bottle to get him to the closest servo. (Highly illegal now (and probably back then as well) but very effective)

:thumbup: :damack: :thumbup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts