Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went down to the wreckers today to pick up a new glove box lock as mine shat its self, got talking to the mechanic there and worked out a deal of putting in some brand new thermofans from an EF straight outa the box!!!

And all it is costing me is $300 think about it brand new EF thermofans and instalation!

Howzat!

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Pretty good as the thermofans cost about $220, are they wiring them to be on all the time, or will they actually be thermo controlled ??

·
feed me hey
4,692 Posts
Nice! I recently tried to find a set and was told the aftermarket ones are $225

I held off and got a ste for $160 Haven't put them in - I want to get an EF V8 radiator so it has the correct mount points

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Sounds like a good deal. I'd love to do this conversion to my car one day, but at this stage I wouldn't be confident doing it myself. I might be going to Just Falcons tomorrow, so if I go I'll enquire as to what they would charge.

Ash

·
"Steve has a car?"
2,207 Posts
Yer I think the main thing i'd be asking them is if they'll be thermo controlled or if they are just gunna hard wire it to the ignition.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
LOL ssgt: thermo fans are fans that dont work off the motor itself,your fan is a clutch fan is connected to motor etc and works of the pulley etc.
thermo fans are better then clutch fan they also claim it gives you more power..

im doing this conversion very very soon...

good buy,by the way...

·
known as tibbo
2,033 Posts
Hoon is spot on

The clutch fan requires a load on your engine to spin the pulley that then will engage the clutch behind your fan whereas the thermos are twin electric fans and get power from your battery...

·
"Steve has a car?"
2,207 Posts
And are operated with a thermo sensor that turns them on whenever the temp of your engine reaches a certain point. Also makes workin on your car alot easier as they are easily removable...

·
Bring Back Jeff Kennet
2,277 Posts
Would I be right in saying that installing thermos would also quiten an E series down alot? Im pretty sure its the clutch fan that is making all that noise? Would you gain a couple of kws maybe? As it takes the strees off the engine?

Sorry for all the questions.

·
Bring Back Jeff Kennet
2,277 Posts
well thats another thing on the list......ahh when will it stop!

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
Kenaz said:
Sounds like a good deal. I'd love to do this conversion to my car one day, but at this stage I wouldn't be confident doing it myself. I might be going to Just Falcons tomorrow, so if I go I'll enquire as to what they would charge.

Ash
Hey Ash,

Did you get a price?

I want to do this conversion and got talking to my mechanic about it. He said it probably wasn't worth the hassle... Hmm... Still wanna do it though. Damn time and money!

Can you pick up a wiring kit to suit the earlier E-Series?

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
XRated said:
Hey Ash,

Did you get a price?

I want to do this conversion and got talking to my mechanic about it. He said it probably wasn't worth the hassle... Hmm... Still wanna do it though. Damn time and money!

Can you pick up a wiring kit to suit the earlier E-Series?

Cheers.
Nah, I didn't make it down there today. Regarding the wiring kit, I believe there's a guy on the forums that sells kits in The Market. I can't remember what his user name is though, perhaps someone else will know who I'm talking about?

Ash

·
Registered
278 Posts
Just makesure you have atleast an 85amp alternator from a fairmont/fairlane as the spak(70Amp) and GL(60Amp) might have trouble keeping the thermo's going. Remember an EF had 120Amp alternator!!! Check on the alternator it should be stamped on the side.

cheers JJJ

·
wanting 6 gears!
633 Posts
Is there a website showing you how to install the termos ? Any idea on the cost of some second hand ef thermos?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Here is that web site that sells the thermo fan wiring loom http://www.norcom.net.au/~bpt/

This upgrade is well worth it. I was extremely pleased after I done mine about a month ago. More power. So less nosiey car won't even go over the second line from the bottom on the guage. Excellent :king:

·
2.77 is a tall ratio :S
336 Posts
fudge1979 said:
Here is that web site that sells the thermo fan wiring loom http://www.norcom.net.au/~bpt/

This upgrade is well worth it. I was extremely pleased after I done mine about a month ago. More power. So less nosiey car won't even go over the second line from the bottom on the guage. Excellent :king:
Is it worth having this done by a professional? I know many people have done them themselves. I would love to get rid of my clutch fan noise and make the car stop sounding so fany!

How much dude you pay fudge 1979?

·
Registered
68 Posts
smut: check this thread i started i think its all listed there :
http://www.fordforums.com/showthread.php?t=57792

If you know an auto electrician to help you wire it up you should be able to mount them yourself. You can always ask a mechanic for so tips

cheers

Peter

1 - 20 of 20 Posts