Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Fully Sick Magna Driver
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I visited the HSV website (Dont ask why - Not even I know) and I read up that the HSV Avalanche will be the official vehicle for the tour for the World Industries Malibu Wakeboard Tour 2003/'04 that will be touring AUS.

Anyway comin home from my girlfriends house 15 mins ago, I saw this Avalanche with the boat behind it, and I must say that HSV have done quite well with the design of the avalanche as I thought it looked like a rather nice car. Anyone else seen this car, or any Avalanche at all?

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Yep had a good look at it at the SMS and came away feeling that it was the most absurd thing that Holden/HSV have conceived. A niche model in an already niche segment... the last thing that anybody wants! Holden has much bigger things to address than finding another market sub-segment that nobody realized existed!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mr Sparkle said:
Yep had a good look at it at the SMS and came away feeling that it was the most absurd thing that Holden/HSV have conceived. A niche model in an already niche segment... the last thing that anybody wants! Holden has much bigger things to address than finding another market sub-segment that nobody realized existed!
well i'd rather they did that than if they did a ford and totally ignored these niches alltogether. Its nice to have a choice, dont you think?

·
Registered
230 Posts
It looks a bit wanky for me.
A quick chat with a HSV engineer duringa meeting led me to the conclusion that most of the HSV crew think it's a waste of time due to the weight issues and the fact it looks crap.

·
Patriotic Aussie car fan
313 Posts
Horses for courses. Its different, I don't mind it too much.

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
bystander said:
well i'd rather they did that than if they did a ford and totally ignored these niches alltogether. Its nice to have a choice, dont you think?
Yes, I have actually been quite vocal on this subject in the recent past (look at SMS related threads if you can be bothered!), but I am starting to feel that Holden is stretching the point a bit far with all their LWB variants, when they have other larger issues to deal with.

I guess it's the opposite of what Ford/FPV are doing - releasing absolutely [email protected] all in the way of variants, but working more on improving the product (I sincerely hope anyway!)

·
I am The Brain
3,073 Posts
I haven't seen it yet at all, not in the flesh or in pictures so I wouldn't have a clue where I stand on it.

And I'm not privy to visiting that website.

·
100 SPEED LIMITED SILVAEA
1,043 Posts
what holden are really doing by producing these neiche market cars is, generating hype and awareness of the brand...

and although they may only sell 200 of x car and 500 of y car the main money making is in the vy exec. but the the way they are geting new arses into these cars... (cos they are seriously behind the ba xt) .... is to generate hype at motor shows in mags etc...

well thats my theory anyways.

but really theyshould cut back on all these different array of cars, and focus on more important issues.. like making that crap shit box v6 be smoother and push more power..

or sorting out rear suspension design and even look at the crap g/box....

but all that dosnt bring hype and awareness now does it?

cheers.joe.

·
Lord of the RC
2,515 Posts
Its ok, not everyones cup of tea, but im sure some ppl will like it and they will buy it based on that fact

Other people will buy it as its a " HSV " and this is " THE " brand of car to have as everyone else has one.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
It is weird and ugly.

BUT the fact remains that Ford/FPV have no competition to it, yet.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I never liked HSVs really, until the VTs came out, then I thought they were on to something, but this Avalanche thing, what a waste of a good name! its so damn ugly, and useless having the AWD unless u drive it on a beach or in the snow.... Given that we dont have snowy roads in Australia often enough to buy a car for that purpose, its an Expensive beach cruiser! And an ugly one too!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
gm dstroya said:
but really theyshould cut back on all these different array of cars, and focus on more important issues.. like making that crap shit box v6 be smoother and push more power..

or sorting out rear suspension design and even look at the crap g/box....

but all that dosnt bring hype and awareness now does it?

cheers.joe.
why would they do all this? They have a brand new v6 going into the VZ later this year. I believe they have a new gearbox for vz2 or VE. Why spend money improving what is on its way out? I dont understand your logic at all...

·
EXTREME! HAHAHAHAH.. Ahh
35 Posts
I reckon it will do alright. What holden people really want is something that's a holden or HSV, but not like the other 4 SS commondores or 3 HSV clubsports on their street. It's also a wagon (with 7 seats? Correct if I'm wrong) and AWD so you can sell it to the missus.

As for the looks *shrug* I dunno - I haven't seen on in the flesh yet so I'll reserve judgement. I didn't like the look of the SS crewman, but there's a black one down the road that looks fantastic!

Probably the wrong forum to be singing the praises of AWD though - maybe when territory comes to the party will it get a better wrap. My X-trail's ability to turn it on and off shows me exactly why AWD is better (although the crap OEM tires don't help in 2WD). But the ability to mash the throttle in the wet and have the traction pull you around the corner rather than have to hold some understeer at least gives me more confidence when the missus is driving!

On the subject of black utes, has anyone seen a black XR8 ute? All the ones in my area are the RUSH colours or that lovely purple. Can anyone point me to pics of black XR8 utes?

·
Fully Sick Magna Driver
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And what would everybody think of an FPV territory? I remeber some people here thinking that it would look fantastic and be a great car etc. HSV have just done the same with their AWD wagon. Well, its a Holden so its not that fantastic...

·
100 SPEED LIMITED SILVAEA
1,043 Posts
bystander said:
why would they do all this? They have a brand new v6 going into the VZ later this year. I believe they have a new gearbox for vz2 or VE. Why spend money improving what is on its way out? I dont understand your logic at all...
i want refering to the current time frame at all..

ever since the vt came in they have gone spaztik with neiche cars and shit, with each one having design flaws.

pfft 151 kw from a 3.8lt v6 that rattle ticks bangs pops farts sounds like it having a heart attack..

how bout the auto's pathetic feel, the steerings blandness? nah bugger that shit.. lets make a door common whore, or a 4wd commonwhore wagon, or how bout a dual cab ute with a tray thats only good for taking a dog or two, but the back seat so uncomfortable anyone over 5 would have back spasm's for a few years after rifing in it.

while ford may lack in numbers they make for it in quality

the ba is lightyears ahead of the vy

but like i said.. a nice handling smooth refined car (ie. stock ba xt) dosnt create interest at motorshows.. its a two door commonwhore that will bring the punters.

iknow that they have the hf6 comming, but if they spent more time in developing back in 1998 we would see it in the vy but no we have to wait till 2005 to see it.

the ford falcon engine has been on a constant evloution since the xd falcon... improving on it with every new model (especially since the introduction of the eb 4.0lt)

if i remember correctly holden had to go efi, and a new engine.. but went f**K it we'll get a few engins from nissan (for commo, camira, astra)

then came the vn.. instead of developing a new engine for that.. lets drag a 1963 designed dinosaur kicking and screaming from the grave and use it? its gotta be a good engine.. some efi and it will the best!! lol um..no..

and all they have done realy is a few minor tweaks. to it.

cheers.joe.

A

·
0 Posts
gm dstroya said:
i want refering to the current time frame at all..

ever since the vt came in they have gone spaztik with neiche cars and shit, with each one having design flaws.

pfft 151 kw from a 3.8lt v6 that rattle ticks bangs pops farts sounds like it having a heart attack..

how bout the auto's pathetic feel, the steerings blandness? nah bugger that shit.. lets make a door common whore, or a 4wd commonwhore wagon, or how bout a dual cab ute with a tray thats only good for taking a dog or two, but the back seat so uncomfortable anyone over 5 would have back spasm's for a few years after rifing in it.

while ford may lack in numbers they make for it in quality

the ba is lightyears ahead of the vy

but like i said.. a nice handling smooth refined car (ie. stock ba xt) dosnt create interest at motorshows.. its a two door commonwhore that will bring the punters.

iknow that they have the hf6 comming, but if they spent more time in developing back in 1998 we would see it in the vy but no we have to wait till 2005 to see it.

the ford falcon engine has been on a constant evloution since the xd falcon... improving on it with every new model (especially since the introduction of the eb 4.0lt)

if i remember correctly holden had to go efi, and a new engine.. but went f**K it we'll get a few engins from nissan (for commo, camira, astra)

then came the vn.. instead of developing a new engine for that.. lets drag a 1963 designed dinosaur kicking and screaming from the grave and use it? its gotta be a good engine.. some efi and it will the best!! lol um..no..

and all they have done realy is a few minor tweaks. to it.

cheers.joe.
Ahh well, its been a best seller for ****ing ages so it can't be that bad

1 - 20 of 24 Posts