Ford Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Ford Member
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
check drive for details.. However soon some new HSV will be out..

- Astra 2.2L
108Kw, 203Nm (1,130kerb weight) ~10.5 Kg per kw
- Barinia 1.8L
92Kw, 165Nm (1065kg) ~11.5Kg per Kw

They will be as quick as 6cylinder fortes/executives

"The Astra SRi goes on sale next month for $28,065 as a five-speed manual while the Barina SRi arrives a couple of weeks earlier, priced from $20,990."

Not earth shattering but not bad for a hatchback, reasonablish prices. Turbo and V6 Astra on the way. Maybe they will put that 2.2 or a 2.0 lump into the barina and make a Clio sport like thing. Don't know what traditional HSV owners will think. Cheap way for wanna be HSV owners.

Fords Laser/Ka would be feeling pretty sad now.

I still like my idea of a Upmarket Ka. Leather interior from upmarket Ka in UK, bigger engine. Tickford has offices/factories in the UK, no reason why they can't do it.

Certainly makes more sense as a T-series than a $50k Cougar. Price it at around $22k and it might work. More so in the UK.

-15" alloys
-Luxuryka truffle trim
-Bodykit
-t series mesh
-1.6 or 1.8/2.0L engine or a turbo/supercharger.

Put the V6 from the mondeo into the Festiva

Looks like HSV might have its sights set on europe, middle east etc, as they would see things are pretty much saturated here.

Ive almost forgotten tickford. I hope the launching of the stroker at around the time of Holden launching the monaro doesn't backfire.

Wonder if anyone has made a decision on dristributing Falcon's in the Uk.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I honestly don't know why Ford abandon the TX3- I guess it can't have been selling well, but if they'd kept it up imagine the market share they'd posses of the hothatch industry right now

·
RACE
2,950 Posts
The TX3 wasn't abandoned by choice. Mazda ceased production of it.

I wonder how the Laser SR2 will go against the Astra considering it has less power.

The 2.2l engine of the Astra is not a bad 4cyl, but it isn't as flexible as the trusty SR20 of the Pulsar SSS. I test drove a 1997 Astra GSi 2.0l :eek: in late 2000 but ended up buying a 1998 Pulsar SSS and I can tell you for a naturaly aspirated 4, the SR20 definately goes hard. So far victims worthy of mentioning are two vn v8 'Dore's.

I think sometimes we ignore how important this category is to Ford. As much as they are thought of as rice burners, they make up a huge chunk of total sales and generally get young people these days behind the wheel of a Ford for the first time.

Bring on the Focus RS I say!!!!!

·
Formerly J-type
1,629 Posts
Re: Re: HSV makes Hatchbacks...

RATT said:

Have you seen the size of the Mondeo V6?

Festiva's gone anyway.
The 2.5l Duratec V6 in the Mondeo is one of the most compact V6's around - I say stuff it in the Laser.:D

·
Registered
313 Posts
I agree Ratt, as I've said before - I drive a KH TX3, another drives a Turbo KH, another a Turbo KF and another non turbo KF, plus another mate just got a loan approved and is currently on the hunt for a decent Familia GTR. Call'm ricies or whatever, but these are the cars that get young people into brand names. My mate with the FWD turbo even got them to put his Ford Rocker Cover on instead of the Mazda one.
When I was getting my first car, I had no real allegiances, I look at a Calibra very closely but opted for the TX3, and I wont ever buy a Holden now, regardless. A lot of my mates are the same and a lot of us use fast fours as a stepping stone into Falcons and the like.
Why not revive the Mazda BP (if its still made?) Very punch engines, can match 2.0ltr Silvias and Pulsars, love to be turbo'd and good pricing. Or even make a Type R type Laser - a VCT 2 ltr punching out about [email protected] would do the trick, and try and keep it in the low 20k's. Its a huge huge market segment which has big ramifications down the track.

·
Shhh, we're hunting Lions
1,610 Posts
Just sell the Focus down here and we won't need to worry about these hotted up Holden hatches.

Did anyone see the black Focus RS is the Wheels mag, man does that car look awesome in black, nobody in their right mind would buy a WRX over one of those babies.:D :p

·
RACE
2,950 Posts
Elvis said:
Or even make a Type R type Laser - a VCT 2 ltr punching out about [email protected] would do the trick, and try and keep it in the low 20k's. Its a huge huge market segment which has big ramifications down the track.
Funny you say that, Mazda have just released a 120kw 2.0l 4 in a Mazda MPV (?)for Japan only of course, with variable valve timing.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I must be able to see the future, or far away current ;)
Anyone else agree that that motor would do the SR2 laser a lot more justice than the current one? That'd put it up on the levels of the Corolla Sportivo Turbo, 3kw more actually, and get people buying Fast Four Fords instead of Jap cars.

·
Administrator
5,087 Posts
Adam W said:
Just sell the Focus down here and we won't need to worry about these hotted up Holden hatches.

Did anyone see the black Focus RS is the Wheels mag, man does that car look awesome in black, nobody in their right mind would buy a WRX over one of those babies.:D :p
It still needs AWD.I hope they put them out with it soon then it will be more than a match for the Sub.The new STi is still pretty horny.An AWD Cosworth Focus is on my wish list.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Wouldn't the Astra be more in the Mondeo class? The Barina in the Lasers? The Focus is a sexy beast to be sure, but it'd be aimed at the highed end of the hot hatch market (like suby's etc.) not so much reasonably quick hatches

·
RACE
2,950 Posts
Actually, the Barina is in the same class as the old Festiva, hopefully to be replaced by the Fiesta, and the Astra goes head to head with the Laser.

I think Ford Oz has limitations on what it can do with the Laser, mainly because it's built by Mazda, even though Mazda is owned by Ford. The only way around that is to have the Focus as a model in its own right, although it appears that sometime in the near future the Focus and 323 will share the same platform.

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
It doesnt look like the focus will be in for quite a while yet. the standard focus would have to be sold at a high price in order for a profit to be gained. Id say in the peugeot 206 market but I dunno. The fwd 149kw fpcus rs would be a great competitor to the new integra type R but even if it came I couldnt think it would be sld for much less than 50k. But it would be a good start and if there was to be a 300bhp (225kw) awd cosworth monster to come along then ford would have a market of its own in the perfromacen hot hacth as it would also be an sti competitor. I couldnt see it competing in price though as the chances of it even coming to australia would be the slimmest of slims and they are tipped to be sold for about 30k english pounds so that would be about 85k AUS? Damn!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts