Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Vintage F-100 Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:
I am thinking of increasing the cooling Capacity of my 66 Ford F100 6 cyl engine. Just wondering if there is a fan with 5 or 6 blades for the I-6, 300 engine, the original fan is 4 blades. I also wish to know if there is a fan shroud for that type engine.
Thank you all.
Hamid.

·
Vintage F-100 Member
8 Posts
Fan shroud

I have a 66 Ford half ton with a 300 Ford six cylinder. I used to have a lot of problems heating at low speeds in the summer time. I replaced the radiator with a new one and that helped a lot. I made a fan shoud from light angle iron and 20 gauge sheet metal, which has virtually eliminated heating problems. The secret is getting air flow through the radiator at slow speeds. I suppose the engine driven fan could be replaced with an electric fan. A pusher fan would be hard to adapt because of the center brace for the hood latch. A puller fan shouldn't be a problem.

·
Vintage F-100 Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dear Carl:
Thanks for your reply on engine cooling. I think the fan shroud is a good idea, I am going for it, I will let you know the result. I dont understand the puller and pusher fan, could you explain that.
I am looking for an exhaust manifold or both intake and exhaust for my 300 engine, do you know where I can find it.
Thanks again.
Hamid.

·
Vintage F-100 Member
8 Posts
A pusher fan is mounted ahead of the radiator and 'pushes' the air through the fins. A puller fan is like the stock fan--it pulls the air through the radiator.

I have heard that the exhaust manifolds from a later F-150 with fuel injection are actually two pieces. The front 3 cylinders run on the front manifold and the back three on the back manifold. If you run this setup, run dual exhuast pipes all the way. This will not only make the engine breathe a little better, but it has a very unique and 'sweet' sound. Had I not bought all the exhuast pipes from the engine back shortly before I overhauled my pickup, I would find a set of these manifolds. Along the same lines, Clifford Performance www.cliffordperformance.com carries aluminum 4 barrel manifolds for 300 sixes that are supposed to really wake them up.

You might also try www.inliners.org--they are all about inline engines and like 300 Fords.

Good luck!

·
Vintage F-100 Member
49 Posts
Amid,
I just installed a newly rebuilt 300-6 in my '65 f100. It came out of a '79 truck. It has a 7 bladed fan on it. I know it has to get really hot where you are. I'm sure you could use all of the cooling you can get. I like the picture you sent me of your truck. I'll bet the sun is really hard on that red paint job?

·
Fawkin Fordhead
31 Posts
My 82 had a 5 blade flex fan on it from the factory, looks like this: http://www.stfx.ca/people/edmacdon/fordpage/old3003.jpg
I'm running a 1984 clutch fan now, I haven't had time to swap the water pump off of the old engine onto this one.
For an intake, have a look at the Jegs catalog, they carry Offy's dual port, it's cheaper than Clfford's intake, and is better suited for a stock/mildly modified engine's rpm range. The stock EFI exhaust manifolds are a split manifold setup. There are lots of aftermarket headers, but, those EFI manifolds are plenty for a stock or mildly modified engine, and they'll never rust out.....
Evan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts