Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Ford Nut
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im 19yo and i just got a el faimont bog stock, paying $1500 for my first years comprehensive insurance with AAMI and i asked them about putting an exhaust and low springs on the car. The ****wits told me no way!

what a joke i have a nice car which i want to make nicer by making it sound good and lowering it and they think ill write the thing off because it will be a couple of inches lower and will have 20kws more.

does anyone know of any insurance companies that will allow mods without making the premiums skyrocket?

·
Often has bolts left over
848 Posts
you got finance on it? Id be taking the risk.. $1500 is rediculous.

·
Village Idiot
2,526 Posts
Im 19 with sgio. I had a previuos at fault claim, and 1996 EF Gli with Extractors and exhaust, cost 1170/yr.
Got my dad to ring up and give my details, always got better quotes even though we gave the same details.

And they even told me that they didnt allow the exhaust after i got 2 quotes with it. i just told em that i had previous quotes and they said ok.

Depending on where u live, try Just Cars maybe

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
im 3rd party, fire and theft 5k... 270 bucks, 17yo.... RACV

·
Ford Appreciation Society
3,666 Posts
How much were you going to lower it?? You could ask them if you could put new springs in at "factory height" and put 1" lower springs in, then you would be at the same height as the factory sports suspension. You could also replace the standard muffler with a sports muffler, but keep the exhaust system "standard"...

BTW - when I started out with insurance, it was $2k on a $4.5k car... all because I wanted something sporty. All I had was a 20% no claim bonus.

You could also keep ringing them every couple of weeks, and keep a record of who you speak to... Then everytime you get someone different, ask them if you can put a better exhaust system to "help improve fuel economy"... and if they say yes, ask for your policy to be modified to reflect that and a copy sent to you.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Yep, try Just Cars, it's underwritten by the same mob as AAMI but they let you mod stuff. Unless I'm thinking of someone else.

I'm with AAMI til the end of the year (2005 is mod central), 3rd party, fire and theft, $454 with an at fault. $850 buck excess.

Hehe but the car is insured for more than I paid for it.

·
.au member
2,747 Posts
NRMA will let you do pretty much whatever you like, i dont know about major stuff like turbos or superchargers, but cams, springs, exhausts and all that are all fine. Only limit I have is my wheels must be no wider than 7 inches (which sucks).

·
still around... sometimes
498 Posts
i'm with AAMI, and they said i can have the 2.5" aftermarket exhaust, and 17" rims, but that i can't lower the car (as my sig says, im gonna do it anyway). I guess as EBXR said, it just depends on who you get at the other end. Keep ringing them up and tryin your luck.

Jared

·
Registered
75 Posts
Look at the stats for accidents involving under 25 males. Not a good story. By lowering the car and adding 20kw you are sending out a clear signal that you want the car to be fast. Would you cover someone for that with your own money?

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
oneredED said:
i'm with AAMI, and they said i can have the 2.5" aftermarket exhaust
Do you know if they let you have headers with it?

·
As Sober as Steve Bracks
192 Posts
mongoose3800 said:
By lowering the car and adding 20kw you are sending out a clear signal that you want the car to be fast.
In all honestly I cannot think of how lowering your car makes it go faster...

The whole insurance thing is a joke, you're so much better off spending 300 a year on 3rd party and saving the balance into an account in case you have an accident... AAMI told me that to get full comp on a VL (shudder) non turbo bog stock would cost 2500 a year, even tho id been with them for 2 years and not had one single stack or speeding ticket or anything... I hope they charge old farts that just cannot drive as much for insurance, because IMO they are more dangerous on the road...

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
back2thefutura said:
NRMA will let you do pretty much whatever you like, i dont know about major stuff like turbos or superchargers, but cams, springs, exhausts and all that are all fine. Only limit I have is my wheels must be no wider than 7 inches (which sucks).
Nrma wont let you put in/on a cam, turbo/supercharger or chip. They are fine with lowering, exhaust including extractors, alloy heads (brand doesnt matter), intake manifolds and i have 18x8" rims on my el & they have no probs with them either. Dont know how they will react when i say i am putting a stroker in it tho. None of this has changed my premium either.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Im 18 with the RACV and own a 96 XR6, they just charged me about $50 extra on my premium for exhaust, extractors and 17x8" wheels oh yeah they also said if my car is lowered by 1 1/4" or less then i dont have to tell them :) so i didnt!

·
NA Fairlane 4.0i
173 Posts
I was 19 with a R31 Skyline with zorst, headers and chip, but SGIC seems to be fine on these stuff. They did not increased the premium when I did those mod.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
AAMI won't allow exhaust, get a quote from Just Cars, i did and the price was the same :p
my first year premium was about $1500 and then was $1300 the year after, got a quote from just cars and it was the same, AAMI were fine with my car having 17x8 wheels and XR Springs (an option from factory as far as they knew)
you just have to be smart with them, just be sure u can get away with it.
deffinately try to get some XR6 Springs to lower it and then change to Just Cars when you can :)

·
WHAT THE?
925 Posts
I'm with RACV and have 3rd party fire and theft...it's about 370 a year I think...I'm 23. They are fine with most mods. They know I have extractors, exhaust, lowered, 17" rims (only allowed 7" wide tho), respray etc. They don't know about any internal engine stuff like cam or head. It really just depends who you get on the phone to give you a quote I think. I've spoken to two people at the same insurance company that have said totally different things.

·
Gonna fit a twin cam
356 Posts
Im also with RACV, 23 also, paying $600 a year, full comprehensive (protected rating one). They are fine with all the mods that I have done, even the manual conversion (really supprising given manual fairlanes were never an option). The only thing they dont know, is the cam.

·
Ford Nut
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks for the help guys ill let u know how i go.

btw just cars wanted naerly 2k with zorst and springs

1 - 20 of 29 Posts