1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
AKA: Spaniard
848 Posts
Of course, it's a Commodore!

·
Ford Nut
304 Posts
haha a bloke i know did the same thing to his pride and joy which is, get this, a toyota starlet. he put the bolts holding the fans on through the radiator fins and did the nuts up just firm (so he didnt squash the cores) but didnt use lock nuts or nylock nuts..........fool. i dont think they will stay there long. and get this he didnt even hook them up to the thermoswitch, just a switch on the dash.

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
:fluffy:

·
FORD its a way of Life
206 Posts
that is sad

·
Senior Events Moderator
1,710 Posts
Sad but my cousin had did something very similar but used wire. I just took one look said good job and left it at that. He is driving a POS VC anyways

·
Birth, Drift, Death...
3,039 Posts
i think that belongs to "fireball 208" pn these forums?????? he is on PerformanceForums too i believe.

not really the best setup i can imagine...

·
Registered
847 Posts
LOL would love to see him hit some big bumps which will eventually lead him to cracking the core surely, wouldn't it.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
hey my NIZBUS is wishing it had two thermo's on it,i also use a switch inside the car to work the thermo,its also connected still by the plug though.
and get this im using speaker wire,heavy duty though.*arrrggghhhh* the BODGYNESS how can i live with myself (easily its the missuses car) i'd never do it to my ford though*winks*

·
Registered Loser
80 Posts
I have done a similar install to this......two cheap ass fans from Supercheap installed side by side in to a shitbox 84 Toyota Supra, (apparently Supra means surprise, I know why because the performance from a six cylinder is so piss poor its very surprising). I however attached my fans very professionally with cable ties, thus ensuring no crushing of rad core....
Oh, and there was none of this "switches" crap...Hard wired from ignition baby...constant cool flow.

Gotta love back yard mechanics huh....*LMAO*

·
Birth, Drift, Death...
3,039 Posts
ROFLMAO @ "Oh, and there was none of this "switches" crap...Hard wired from ignition baby..."

·
No longer around
4,882 Posts
and he's gonna do a start to finish tute..

it would read something like this.

um.....gaaw.....i got da fanz....gaaar.....den i stuk em to da cooler thingy - um oh radiator. den i got sum wire and made it go to the battery and then they go! ....gleeeeb

fooooly performanz baby

·
E-Series Acting VP
1,432 Posts
MADNC_8 said:
and he's gonna do a start to finish tute..

it would read something like this.

um.....gaaw.....i got da fanz....gaaar.....den i stuk em to da cooler thingy - um oh radiator. den i got sum wire and made it go to the battery and then they go! ....gleeeeb

fooooly performanz baby

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Birth, Drift, Death...
3,039 Posts
they are probably more than adequate though - you have to take into account the power output of the engine Vs the size of the radiator - its a much more favourable ratio than we have :D

·
Team Betta Racing
123 Posts
I just sold my EL thermo's to make way for a 16 inch and 10 inch Davies Craig setup to make way for the turbo setup. I actually had my EL's setup properly (a relay for each fan, thermo-switch, blocking diode on the A/C compressor wiring). The only problem we had was the diode burnt up every few weeks - so we threw a 30 amper' in it.

I work for an auto-elec., and you guys would be surprised at the amount of cars that burn down cause of dodgy driving lights/fans etc. wired up as well as my 10 year old brother could do.

Seedy wiring jobs are a NO NO if you have any respect for your car.

PS. That setup in the first post sucks arse. Get a real car.

·
Busy planning...something
96 Posts
Cheers OED666. :fraz: (closest to a one-eyed icon I could find in 2 secs.)

Seeing how a few of you are spending $160+ for fans for converting your fords, I think 2 fans for $25ea from a wreckers is quite decent.

The fans are mounted using aircon condensor mounting straps. They only had a mount on one side, so I made a rubber mount for the other side, so the straps hold the fans on firmly.

The fans are controlled by a davies craig thermo controller, but will soon be controlled by an ECU.

I plan to update this simple setup later to a big single fan, or a better shrouded twin setup, but it currently cools the car, which is all you can ask for really :)

The guide was to be for the new setup, maybe I have to spell that one out on my website for the few of the people on here (note - just a few) with sub-standard intelligence.

Cheers,

Dave

1 - 20 of 48 Posts