Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
FPV Tasmania Member
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I know this isnt going to go down well with a lot of you, but anyway, here goes. Late last friday, my TS50 blew the water pump, so my car was down for the weekend. But with Premium Assist and all that, it was picked up etc and I was given a loaner.
Well this is the part that people wont like, i was given a V8 XT BA Auto. Very nice car, does everything so easily and effortlessly, however it has no personality, I know its unfair to compare the TS to a XT, but this car (only had 3,500kms) just did everything so well, it didnt make driving fun, if you know what I mean. I know there is a difference when you get to the GT / GT-P (having driven a GT-P over a weekend), but boy, the XT did nothing to inspire me at all.
The other thing I wasnt wrapped in was the gearbox, sure it has the Manual select shift, but its slow in changing after you hit the stick, personally I would have the Tremac 5 speed anyday.

These are my opinions, interested in comments from others, please dont flame me too much, it is christmas you know.

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
Re: I know I am going to cop here, but.....

Hmmm, no surprises there, the XT is not meant to do any of the things you TS does.
A silly comparison really.

Rick.

·
FPV Tasmania Member
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: I know I am going to cop here, but.....

Soxx said:
Hmmm, no surprises there, the XT is not meant to do any of the things you TS does.
A silly comparison really.

Rick.
Gee Thanx, but I wasnt really trying to compare the cars, If i wanted to compare cars, I would do that with the GT-P and the TS50. The point I was attemptingto make, is that the BA did things so easly, it took the fun away from driving, maybe I am spoilt in what I drive, but to me the car seemed to be without soul.
Also that was really the first long term test iI have had with the gearbox, and my preference would be for the real manual anyday.

·
Tickford and FPV Bloke
953 Posts
Its just like comparing an SV8 with a Clubsport R8, there is no comparison!, but just as there is no comparison between the drivability of the 2, there is also no comparison between the price.

Its hard to compare a BA to an AU as well, because at the end of the day if you tried to compare an AU III V8 Forte to the BA V8 XT, the XT would piss all over it.

Also one last point - when you say it did everything so well, most of us expect to be able to drive these things hard and have confidence in the handling department.

·
FPV Tasmania Member
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree, the AU Fortes i drove, gave no confidence at all, and yes you need confidence in the car you ar driving, its just, how do i say it, its almost too nice
As I said, I know not many are goingto agree with me, but hey, its always fun to stir the pot a bit

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend, I just meant that the two cars are in a totally different market segment, so a comparion of any kind is just well, silly.

The XT is meant to be boring and uninspiring, if it was exciting and performance orientated, the 'lay people' of the world would complain that it's harsh, and to twitchy, and uses to much fuel, etc, etc.
We also would have no reason for XR8's and GT's.....

Rick.

·
FPV Tasmania Member
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hahaha, no offense was taken at all Rick, and i suppoose you are so right, if the cars were like what most members of the forum like to drive, the general public wouldnt. They like a car to go from point A to point B
I suppose thats why so many people modify there standard Fortes, XTs

·
Tickford and FPV Bloke
953 Posts
the XT is basically for a country dude/highway rep who needs a thrasher with a few extra KW to overtake the road trains out on the highway, otherwise they arent much FUN!

·
RACE
2,950 Posts
Too a point you are correct TS50, and it really isn't meant to feel anything like a TS50, GT or anything of that nature. I'm happy with the XT V8 manual I'm driving because it is fun when it is punted hard. Maybe because it's a manual but either way it is an impressive car for what it is.

·
Registered
382 Posts
TS50 said:
Well this is the part that people wont like, i was given a V8 XT BA Auto. Very nice car, does everything so easily and effortlessly, however it has no personality, I know its unfair to compare the TS to a XT, but this car (only had 3,500kms) just did everything so well, it didnt make driving fun, if you know what I mean. I know there is a difference when you get to the GT / GT-P (having driven a GT-P over a weekend), but boy, the XT did nothing to inspire me at all.
You're obviously an old school V8 man. Haven't driven one myself but I always scratch my noodle when potential car buyers quote 'lack of engine refinement' when they test drive a V8, essentially what they're saying is that when they were sitting at the lights, the car shook.

When I buy a V8, I want it to shake, grunt and snort. I want the chassis to tilt when I give it a rev. I want those around me to think the world is coming to an end if I'm giving it a squirt! I'm Homer!! Oh I miss my XW.

The XT V8 is good as a sleeper tho.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Not everybody likes a snorting V8. BA XT V8 does its job well

·
FPV Tasmania Member
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey i got my car back last nite
i forgot how much in love i was
snort snort

and believe it or not, i have owned and driven lots of cars, I still own a Datsun 1600, a little 4 pot, but that car still gives me lots of satisfaction to drive, it has character, it dosnt have to be a V8, but I do love the lumpy idle, the exhaust note, the sheer grunt
ahhh

·
Registered
38 Posts
TS50,

You've hit the nail on the head, a car with character is what we want.
Although I usually hate 4 cyl cars, particularly rice cookers, the old Dato 1600 still rates as a character car for me.

As for aussie V8, it's gotta rumble, although having said that, when I bought my warmed XR8, it was just too loud for a daily driver, especially as the wife drives it most of the time. A new longer straight through muffler did the trick, and the faithful old 351 XD inherited the noisy one.

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
It's making the Falcon sell. Australian's said what they wanted when the AU was released: a car that is boring as [email protected] And it looks like that's what they've done, and hey, it's working!

I guess it's good to know how easy the car is to drive as it is only a family car in the end.

·
FPV Tasmania Member
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I have worked out my problem
I actually enjoy driving
I will have to change and become one of the masses, that only use a vehicle to get from point A to point B
My wife has never understood my passion, and could never fathom the need for a car such as the TS50.
I must say that my better half felt more comfortable driving the BA than my TS50.
*sigh*

·
Officially Bored with 347
3,584 Posts
TS50 said:
I think I have worked out my problem
I actually enjoy driving
I will have to change and become one of the masses, that only use a vehicle to get from point A to point B
My wife has never understood my passion, and could never fathom the need for a car such as the TS50.
I must say that my better half felt more comfortable driving the BA than my TS50.
*sigh*
You love driving.. I dont see a problem........

·
Mulberry Rain
1,229 Posts
A passion for driving only becomes a problem if someone gets a little too excited. I love driving too and I totally agree with you about 'character'

Having never driven a BA I can't comment on that, but I remember my first car, a 78' Toyota Corolla. Everyone loved that 4cyl monster. Possibly the slowest car on the road, but it was ready to take off at 100km/h - you honestly felt that the panels were shaking so hard they would fall off!

My next car was a 81 Sigma and though more powerful and comfortable, boring as hell. Not inspiring one bit.

At the moment I drive an AUII Futura which is very nice indeed. It can be a little boring at times but you forget that when you floor it, it kicks back to first and flys forward - far better than I expected when I first drove it :p

Plus im thinking of getting the Havoc kit to lighten it up a little :)
</end life story>

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Character is a good word - I think I've commented before that one of my disappointments with the GT-p against the TE50 is the more forgiving nature of the GT-p. That's really a nice way of saying it hasn't got enough grunt to be really fun in the way the Mustang is for example but it is a much more benign handler at the limit. It's a trade off - clearly more punters prefer the less responsive steering in the BA but it leaves me cold. I suspect that there is more than development behind the better performance from the Team GT T-Series when compared to the BA GT. Watching their mid corner speeds it is clear that the T-Series carries a fair bit more although the GT carries less attitude. I'm just happy that I have the Mustang to allow me the fun factor when I need it. What the GT-p really cries out for is sharper steering, more power and a lower final drive ratio.

Cheers
Russ

·
Registered
436 Posts
Is there a Havoc kit for the BA in the works? I reckon that could look pretty special! (maybe as a limited edition thingy or something).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts