Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1970 mustang ignition switch is stuck in the "start" position. Linkages and connections seem fine, switch moves freely but continues to run the starter...and nobody makes a replacement switch, so I want to frankenstein a good one out of new and old parts. I want as much information as I can get before I start snipping wires...and neither my Chilton's nor my Motors repair manual has the diagram I'm looking for. 7 wires coming off the starter switch; yellow, black with a green tracer, pink, red with a blue tracer, purple, red with a white tracer, and another black.:driver:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nope, I love the fact that they sell a starter switch with a pre-cut pigtail for $90... when you can just buy the $20 version underneath it and cut the wires yourself.

·
Administrator
5,077 Posts
nope, I love the fact that they sell a starter switch with a pre-cut pigtail for $90... when you can just buy the $20 version underneath it and cut the wires yourself.
Yes you have to wonder sometimes but they do have a big range of some old and difficult to find parts that can get you out of a bind.

·
Super Moderator
1,189 Posts
I dought you have an ign. switch problem. You probably tried to start the car with a low battery and the contact disk in the solenoid arced and welded closed keeping the starter engaged. Replace the solenoid and see what happens. I've been wrong before.
good luck.

·
Super Moderator
8,457 Posts
FYI, found them on Ebay, also a push button conversion, but I think CHipset is probably right.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think Chipset was right, I charged the battery, plugged the ignition switch back in, and the car started fine. can probably chock it up to a bad solenoid switch, I just bought it a month ago, here's hoping I can find the receipt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts