Ford Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will try to keep this as short as I can, a little back history: 2009 I had a Widow Maker Heart Attack and went home not walking nor speaking and it was 3 Mo’s. Before my family realized I didn’t know who they were and where I was at. After MRI’S it was determined I had 3 Strokes within days after the HA, Diagnosis I would never walk again and had the mentality of a 4 yr. old. After two years of hard work on my part doing therapy exercises I made up I was able to walk very slowly with my Custom Walking Stick And after reading everything I could get my hands on including stacks of car magazines that had accumulated one of which was HotRod which had an article about Landspeedracing on the Maxton Mile a 2 mile Airport runway. Eight months after getting out of the wheelchair I set a Landspeed Record on the Maxton Mile and over the next 3 yrs. I
Set 5 More LS Records on the Ohio Mile.
Five years ago I was in HotRod Magazine
Now to my need for help, since the first of this year I have had five more Strokes, no not TIA’S real Strokes. I am working hard on coming back but have a ways to go but as a goal I plan on going to the Bonneville Salt Flats In Oct. of next year. I can’t afford to build a car and have it trailered out there and try to break a record which is difficult to do plus the Salt is very destructive to a car but you can run in Oct. to try and make the 130 MPH Club. You have to make one lap at over 130 but not to exceed 140. You get six attempts to make a backup run at over 130 MPH this is all done on the one mile course. My thoughts were finding a good car that could be driven the 1800 miles to Bonneville and then would be assured of being able to run over 130. After much thought I decided a Crown Vic Police Interceptor would be the likely candidate. By the way my Brother who is a good mechanic and my Brother in Law will do the driving and as my Wife says they will have to see after me.
I plan on replacing wheel cylinders, brake cylinders, rotors and good pads, axel bearings, Master Cylinder, all rubber hoses everywhere, new radiator and electric fans, of course speed rated tires,
My main concern I read a 2006 CVPI has a Speed Limiter but after buying a C.A.I kit, a 90MM Throttle Body, High Performance Mass Air Flow Sensor I bought a cant remember if it’s a SVT or SMT tuner and after talking to two people with the manufacturer I was assured that it was the only tuner that would delete the Speed Limiter, this is the biggee I would hate to have spent what I spending and putting the effort I am committing and be zooming down the Salt and the car start shutting off at 120, 125 MPH. I also plan on replacing the coils, plugs and anything else recommended. The car has 130,000 miles on it and 320 Hrs idling, will it make the trip there and back and I plan on replacing all fluids with the correct fluids. In case I can’t find this site for replies my email address if allowed is:
[email protected]
and if someone needed to leave me and important message my phone number
is: 678-634-3875
Many Thanks For Your Help, It will be a hard trip on me because in addition to the Strokes I have Parkinson’s and Rheumatoid Arthritis but I have to succeed!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will try to keep this as short as I can, a little back history: 2009 I had a Widow Maker Heart Attack and went home not walking nor speaking and it was 3 Mo’s. Before my family realized I didn’t know who they were and where I was at. After MRI’S it was determined I had 3 Strokes within days after the HA, Diagnosis I would never walk again and had the mentality of a 4 yr. old. After two years of hard work on my part doing therapy exercises I made up I was able to walk very slowly with my Custom Walking Stick And after reading everything I could get my hands on including stacks of car magazines that had accumulated one of which was HotRod which had an article about Landspeedracing on the Maxton Mile a 2 mile Airport runway. Eight months after getting out of the wheelchair I set a Landspeed Record on the Maxton Mile and over the next 3 yrs. I
Set 5 More LS Records on the Ohio Mile.
Five years ago I was in HotRod Magazine
Now to my need for help, since the first of this year I have had five more Strokes, no not TIA’S real Strokes. I am working hard on coming back but have a ways to go but as a goal I plan on going to the Bonneville Salt Flats In Oct. of next year. I can’t afford to build a car and have it trailered out there and try to break a record which is difficult to do plus the Salt is very destructive to a car but you can run in Oct. to try and make the 130 MPH Club. You have to make one lap at over 130 but not to exceed 140. You get six attempts to make a backup run at over 130 MPH this is all done on the one mile course. My thoughts were finding a good car that could be driven the 1800 miles to Bonneville and then would be assured of being able to run over 130. After much thought I decided a Crown Vic Police Interceptor would be the likely candidate. By the way my Brother who is a good mechanic and my Brother in Law will do the driving and as my Wife says they will have to see after me.
I plan on replacing wheel cylinders, brake cylinders, rotors and good pads, axel bearings, Master Cylinder, all rubber hoses everywhere, new radiator and electric fans, of course speed rated tires,
My main concern I read a 2006 CVPI has a Speed Limiter but after buying a C.A.I kit, a 90MM Throttle Body, High Performance Mass Air Flow Sensor I bought a cant remember if it’s a SVT or SMT tuner and after talking to two people with the manufacturer I was assured that it was the only tuner that would delete the Speed Limiter, this is the biggee I would hate to have spent what I spending and putting the effort I am committing and be zooming down the Salt and the car start shutting off at 120, 125 MPH. I also plan on replacing the coils, plugs and anything else recommended. The car has 130,000 miles on it and 320 Hrs idling, will it make the trip there and back and I plan on replacing all fluids with the correct fluids. In case I can’t find this site for replies my email address if allowed is:
[email protected]
and if someone needed to leave me and important message my phone number
is: 678-634-3875
Many Thanks For Your Help, It will be a hard trip on me because in addition to the Strokes I have Parkinson’s and Rheumatoid Arthritis but I have to succeed!!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,143 Posts
A chassis dyno run would save time and money, and a possibly a ruined trip to Bonneville. I would also check suspension bushings and replace the Watts link bolt (cheap peace of mind). Pay attention to aero mods, even at 130 MPH. Run the proper speed rated tires and check the tire date codes.
Most importantly, have fun!

·
Super Moderator
7,785 Posts
A pointer: temporarily covering your grill with something smooth gain gain you as much as 5 mph. As Bajarider said, tires. I'd also make sure the brakes and calipers are up to snuff.

·
Super Moderator
1,143 Posts
Sorry, I missed the part about tires in your post. It sounds like you have tires covered.

I don't think there is any question that the car will make it there and back. CV's seem to run forever.

The SCTA (Southern California Timing Association), sanctioning body for the Nats runs at El Mirage Dry Lake just 20 miles from my house in SoCal. I don't know where you live, but you might want to try a run or two there just to have your brother-in-law get the feel for salt racing. It is completely different from running on a concrete runway.

Don't be discouraged at your top end. A few years back some guy with a shiny red Ferrari (I think it was a 348) was boasting about his "fast car" while waiting in line to run at El Mirage. His mouth had more HP than his car and his hopes of making the 130 Club quickly disappeared when his timing slip came back at 99 MPH!

Traction and rolling resistance are the enemy on the dry lakes, dirt or salt. But do not get discouraged. You have the strength and fortitude to overcome serious health issues and I/we will be "pulling" for you on your way to making the 130 club. Don't forget to let us know all about it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I plan on replacing all bushings and suspension components with high performance replacements, new radiator and all hoses including short brake hoses, heater hoses, new dual electric radiator fans, new drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads, all front suspension components that show any sign of where. New Booster and master cylinder. High Performance plug booster coils and carefully replace plugs in the Aluminum Heads, New 6” wide W or even Z rated tires. Replace all fluids and gaskets. My Brother and Brother In Law will drive to and from Bonneville but I intend on making the 130 MPH Club. New easily removed windshield wipers and arms, I already have a CAI Kit, 90 MM Throttle Body and a High Performance Mass Air Flow Sensor. I have a SVT x4 Programmer
A large roll of 2” wide duct tape to tape part of the grille up plus seams on the body when ready to run. I read that if you removed the back two Cats and the mufflers and run the exhaust to exit in front of the rear tires and this could be worth 15 to 20 HP plus a savings of approximately 80 Lbs.
Of course new front in alignment when suspension work is completed.
I would like your take and comments plus any others on the above. I have got to be successful at this. I would hope I will be making around 300 BHP?

·
Super Moderator
1,143 Posts
You might have ECM programming issues with the cats removed, but it sounds like you are on your way to 130!
Is speed week still in August?
Be sure to let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Top Speed Events are after Speed Weeks in October I think. I have a copy of the rules and requirements for the 130 MPH and 150 MPH Clubs and not only will I let you know how I do I will send you a copy of my book.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will take you up on the offer to have a copy of the rule book if you don’t mind and I will be glad to reimburse you for any cost you incur.
Garrell

1 - 11 of 11 Posts