Ford Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my mum a 2008 fiesta, when she’s driving the warning for the tailgate comes on, I’ve had to jumpstart the car 2 times this week, after checking all the electrics from the battery, throu the alternator, right through to the button on the tailgate itself, but everything checks out!!!!!
I know there’s a sensor somewhere but I’ll be damnd if I can find it!!!!..... can someone help me help my mum please???

·
Administrator
8,366 Posts
Its probably a dirty switch. Try spraying WD40 up in the tailgate latch assembly and open and close it a few times.

·
Super Moderator
20,554 Posts
If you had to jump the car twice , load test battery . If low , recharge . If weak cells , replace it .Check alternator output under load . As suggested , pull tailgate trim and check lock for water ingress and power . Check wiring where it passes through into tailgate at top ( in rubber sheath ) for damage . breaks . This might help you in checking out ,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, it’s not the battery cos it’s brand new only fitted a month ago. The dashboard lights and interior lights have been coming on when the cars locked, and for no reason. The tailgate warning light has been coming on when the car is being driven, I have also checked to see if any wires have frayed and shorting our but nothing.

·
Super Moderator
20,554 Posts
Even if your battery is only a month old , with the lights coming on when locked it could be draining the battery . Check battery voltage and see what it reads ..The dash board lights stay on for a short time when locked , perfectly normal , on a timer .Until you check lock assembly , nothing else to suggest . Dependant on readings and tests , you could have a parasitic drain .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Even if your battery is only a month old , with the lights coming on when locked it could be draining the battery . Check battery voltage and see what it reads ..The dash board lights stay on for a short time when locked , perfectly normal , on a timer .Until you check lock assembly , nothing else to suggest . Dependant on readings and tests , you could have a parasitic drain .
Thankyou

·
Super Moderator
20,554 Posts
Check this also .

The tailgate button under the number plate can suffer water ingress. The result is a false message that the tailgate is open, the interior lights in the footwell stay on and over night the battery is flattened.

The solution is a wee bit tricky involving removing the trim from the tailgate by using a non metallic lever to prise off 6 or so clips. Once removed you need to remove the number plate mounting panel by loosening 6 or so 10mm nuts. Inside that panel is the tailgate switch and no.plate lights. The switch is easily removed and has 4 miniature Philips screws to get into it. Having removed the number plate panel water penetration is pretty obvious and opening the tailgate switch you are likely to find water has got in. Dry it, spray with WD40 or other water repellent spray and seal the switch with a little silicone sealant.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check this also .

The tailgate button under the number plate can suffer water ingress. The result is a false message that the tailgate is open, the interior lights in the footwell stay on and over night the battery is flattened.

The solution is a wee bit tricky involving removing the trim from the tailgate by using a non metallic lever to prise off 6 or so clips. Once removed you need to remove the number plate mounting panel by loosening 6 or so 10mm nuts. Inside that panel is the tailgate switch and no.plate lights. The switch is easily removed and has 4 miniature Philips screws to get into it. Having removed the number plate panel water penetration is pretty obvious and opening the tailgate switch you are likely to find water has got in. Dry it, spray with WD40 or other water repellent spray and seal the switch with a little silicone sealant.
I’ll give that a go, thankyou

1 - 9 of 9 Posts