Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '00 cougar and it just quit working one day. I was driving it when it quit working. I replaced the fuel pump and it wasn't that. The starter makes noise which I know isnt normal. Would that have anything to do with it?

·
NECO Recruiter
9 Posts
newcougar.org

They're a lot more responsive than people here. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just wondered if the engine turns over at all. I had a problem with my 1999 cougar that was similar. The problem started small, just stalling every now and then after starting it. It progressed to the point where in order to get it home from work one day, I had to start it in neutral with my foot on the gas and give it he** when I slid it in to drive. It was really lots of fun because every time I braked it stalled, so I had to do that all the way home.

It ended up being the air control valve. We replaced it first with an after market valve from auto zone. It ran perfect, but made a horrible whirring noise. We returned that one and got the correct one from the Ford Garage. Everything works great now. The part was about $60 and was easy to install.

Let me know if that helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I replaced the fuel pump and the fuel pump driver module. Now it is getting fuel, but still don't start. It is getting spark. I am lost now. I checked out the IAC at the Ford Dealership and they wanted $180.00 for the part.

·
91 twin turbo cougar
6 Posts
the iac or idle air control valve will only make it shut off at idle. the car would start with a little throttle. you might want to check if you have spark, if you don't the ignition module would be a good start. There are alot of parts on the car such as crank sensor,maf,etc.....that would not allow the car to start but the ignition module are known to go bad. If you don't have injector pulse or spark the crank sensor and the ignition module would be the cause

1 - 5 of 5 Posts