Ford Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I needed some advice (purchased the car)

I am pondering the idea of purchasing a 1978 Ford LTD. It has a 351 in it. It has 105,000 miles. The person I am trying to buy it from wants $1995. Is this a good price? Should I ask any questions before I purchase it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
pR()rN_*
1,966 Posts
Yeah that is a good price if it's in good nick.
Whats the body/paint/interior like?
105,000 miles is pretty good for a car that age sounds like it's been looked after.

How many owners?

If he's asking $1995 offer $1500 if it's good. (just to be a prick)

·
BOFH
7,560 Posts
Check all the electrics/power windows etc. If they are good then snap it up. Basically Ford were crap at electrics (not much better now) and they can be an expensive fix. Also, body parts are getting rarer so check for damage. Do the magnet and the hanky trick for bog. Thy were know to rust, especially around the boot and rear window.
the engine can be in almost any condition (except water in the oil) as parts will be readily avaliable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The body looks in good condition. There are some small tears on the driver side seat. The only rust that I see is a couple of small holes inside the trunk by the wheel-well. (not to sound dumb)...whats the magnet test? thanks again for the advice/

·
Can't wait for Winton...
2,759 Posts
Depending on the condition... If you are not confident in assessing the car get onto someone who is, a friend, mechanic or RACV, etc. If the car is in top condition, then yes $2000 is worth it. Having said that a 1978 LTD is the sort of car you would only buy if you really wanted one IMO, unless it was available at the right time & price and too good to refuse.

·
Lamahs approve of manuals
1,382 Posts
The magnet test is basically using a magnet to check the metal content of the area under suspicion. You can "bog" / fill / patch rust holes and paint over them to conceal, and its very hard to pick visually (possibly impossible). But if there is no metal (i.e. bogged or filled), the magnet won't stick or attract to the area being tested. You throw it in a hanky or cloth so you don't scratch the paintwork as you run it over / past (I would try to hold it away a little anyway). A little practice on another car will give you a feel for it.

Oh, with buying the car, are you mechanically minded / capable and enthusiastic ? The odds are that you will spend a reasonable amount of time maintaining and repairing an older car - so be prepared.

·
Ford Appreciation Society
3,666 Posts
America has LTD's... I thought this one is about an American LTD, as ptab mentioned it had 105000 miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is an American LTD. I had another chance to look at it and I noticed that it was leaking antifreeze. Their mechanic looked at it and said the water pump was leaking so they put a new one on there. I am thinking about picking it up tonight. Previously I owned a '75 Ford Granada and that car ran for about 6 years and had over 180,000 miles. I did some work on that but not a lot. I guess my bigggest concern is I don't want to drop $2000 on a car and turn around and spend more money on repairs. Everyone I talk to says I should just get a newer car but I just like driving big old cars. Anyone else agree, or am I asking for trouble?

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
That's why I asked. Are you actually in America? Otherwise the pricing structure will be very different to us in Oz!

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
See? I'm not so silly afterall! LOL!

Someone around here will be able to help you out. I was only asking earlier as a majority of the users on this site are from Australia.

Good luck with the purchase anyhow - I wouldn't mind seeing some pics of the beast :thup:

·
Ford Appreciation Society
3,666 Posts
That looks pretty good ptab. It also looks very cold there!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts