Ford Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Ford Fairmont AU and it has this annoying noise coming from behind the dash (inside the car/not motor). It is there when I put the key to when the dash lights up before starting the car, when the car has started and during driving. It is a noise that comes for 2 minutes- goes away for 5 seconds and then comes back on for however long it wants to before pausing for a second.

I have attached a video. Please if you have any idea it would be appreciated before I rip the dash apart.

https://youtu.be/4-6Zx0G_Gns

·
Administrator
8,174 Posts
Something else to check. When you switch from hot to cold or vent direction (floor, vent, windshield) does the sound change or stop and do those settings work as they should?

·
Super Moderator
3,601 Posts
Does it have standard air or automatic climate control? If the latter than note that the T03 transistor in the fan speed controller that sits behind the glovebox and has its heatsink in the duct-work often get corroded from wet leaves etc that collects in the duct so that it stays on whenever the ignition is on. It's worth getting a inspection camera like this https://www.altronics.com.au/p/s8747-wifi-transmission-inspection-camera-endoscope-2-metre-8mm/ (cheaper on ebay and supercheap etc also have them) and push it up inside the duct near the left hand door and see what you find. Look for ones with the most led lights (more light) highest resolution and the smallest head (easier to fit into small holes) as well as hook and magnet attachments that can be used to retrieve stuff.

·
Super Moderator
3,601 Posts
Also if it has automatic climate control (ACC) try the self test procedure (several tinmes) as this will reset the system as well as give fault codes. Procedure is:

1. Fits ensure engine is at normal operating temperature.
2. With ignition on press down, hold down then release the "Mode" and "Off" buttons simultaneously (well just much sure you press the "Off" button a microsecond before the "Off" button or you just turn it off.
3. All the ACC display segments will light up and the system will take a minute or so to cycle through all its self test procedures.
4. On completion of these tests either a fault code (E1 to E8) will display or if no faults are found it will display "OFF".

If there is a fault code let me know the code and I will tell you what it means.

·
Super Moderator
3,601 Posts

·
Administrator
8,174 Posts
Got to have a username/password to get into the .au site. I've got one somewhere, I'll have to look it up. Have to keep other forums different from my AG usernames and passwords.

Last time I was in there was a pain in the ass as they alerted me of my being outside of Australasia by IP. Lets see if they do it again with a AU proxy by VPN.

·
Administrator
8,174 Posts
I see exactly what you mean. The diagram that you posted looks just like the type of the audio transistors that are in my old Marantz home stereo receiver. I know very little about electronics as I'm sure you can tell.

TY for the links and the knowledge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts