Ford Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
97 Merc GM with 160,000 miles.

About a week ago I noticed a short, 1 second brrrrp. noise when starting the engine after it's sat overnight. It dose it once and then it's usually, but not always, fine the rest of the day with no odd noises of any kind at any RPM.

I'm thinking timing chain. Maybe the starter is hanging up but that wouldn't explain the once a day occurrence.

I've never done a chain on a modular motor before but I am fairly handy with tools and replace my intake 30K ago. I'm not too concerned about replacing it if that's what is needed but about how long does the job take for a weekend DIY'r who has never done one?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
22,730 Posts
Before you get too involved , you might want to consider changing the engine oil and filter first . Using a good filter with a decent drain back valve like OEM . It may be taking a wee bit longer for the oil getting round the engine / tensioner before pressurising and reaching the top .

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before you get too involved , you might want to consider changing the engine oil and filter first . Using a good filter with a decent drain back valve like OEM . It may be taking a wee bit longer for the oil getting round the engine / tensioner before pressurising and reaching the top .
That's great advice but I just changed the oil last week and no change. I've used Full Syn 5W30 with a Motorcraft filter every 4500 miles and I don't think the motor could not possibly run better if it were new.

I live alone so calling the wife or kids over to crank it up while I listen isn't a workable plan. I'll see about getting a remote starter button. That may get me closer to the source. It's a sharp, rapping noise that lasts for maybe a second, and I've heard starter drives get hung up trying to disengage the flex plate make a very similar noise.

Oh..... and cranking .No odd noises at all. I've tried the flood mode to let it crank for 7-8 seconds before starting and don't hear any unusual noises until I let it start.

·
Super Moderator
22,730 Posts
Usually if timing chain is badly worn it tends to rattle , batter it's brains in most of the time , not just on initial start up . Dirt on starter pinion shaft , possibly , and just needing a clean up to allow better throw back if slightly sticking ..

·
Registered
2000 grand marquis ls with handling package, magnaflow mufflers,dual exhaust, 3.55 rear axle
209 Posts
97 Merc GM with 160,000 miles.

About a week ago I noticed a short, 1 second brrrrp. noise when starting the engine after it's sat overnight. It dose it once and then it's usually, but not always, fine the rest of the day with no odd noises of any kind at any RPM.

I'm thinking timing chain. Maybe the starter is hanging up but that wouldn't explain the once a day occurrence.

I've never done a chain on a modular motor before but I am fairly handy with tools and replace my intake 30K ago. I'm not too concerned about replacing it if that's what is needed but about how long does the job take for a weekend DIY'r who has never done one?

Thanks!
I think I would explore the starter hanging up theory. It would be possible for it to act fine after everything is warmed up and only hang up when everything is cold after sitting overnight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts