Ford Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I would like to plant a ea 3.9 carby into my xf, please what do i do, and Can i fit the single rail 4 speed onto it as well?????

·
Ford Appreciation Society
3,666 Posts
Don't know about the gear box, but I thought an XG falcon crossmember would be a good start.

·
Can't wait for Winton...
2,759 Posts
You’ll need the motor with the computer (ecu), etc. I don’t know all the details but there are number of things regarding the physical mounting that may have changed (engine mounts, gearbox bolt pattern, etc) but equally may not have changed. Connecting the wiring will be the biggest hassle. There are a number of threads on these topics, try searching this forum (6s and 4s) for “convert”

To go further on what EBXR said, I’d suggest tracking down a wrecked XG ute because these had the 4L engine in basically the XF body (4L is externally the same as the 3.9L). Even if you don’t use the superior 4L engine, all the other bits from crossmember to dash and wiring would be useful. Also with an XG you have a good chance of finding a manual one which could be a source of a 5 speed box too.

·
XB Pilot
183 Posts
Is there any particular reason you'll be be swapping to the 3.9 carby motor? If you going to go to the hassle of fitting the 3.9, why not save up a few more dollars and get a MPFI 4.0? To get a EB series motor wouldn't cost you a lot from a wrecker.
Yes you have to install the computer but with the 4.0 you'd get more power, better starting and better economy?
Either that or get hold of the EFI setup that goes with the 4.1 original motor (unless you have the 3.3), buy some extractors and nice exhaust, maybe change the cam for a mild performance cam and you'd have a lot more power that the 3.9 and you'd not have to bother finding a suitable bellhousing for the single rail gearbox.

My 2 cents anyway

Simon.

·
"Steve has a car?"
2,207 Posts
there is no "EA 3.9L carby", they were all electronic fuel injected, the one your refering to is the centre point injected 3.9L. So either way you go you'll need to install a computer, best thing then is to install a 4.0litre multipoint with a 3.9litre mulitpoint computer, as it'll be just as much work an you'll get alot more power than the CFI 3.9.

·
Registered
73 Posts
it's possible to put a 4L out of an EB/ED/EF/EL into an XE sedan with a 3.3L? with the correct engine mount's and some spare cash?? just out of curiosity..

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes it can be done! But is it worth it? I'll leave that up to you! So far i've spent lots of TIME and MONEY.

if you want to read about my projects go to:www.performanceforums.com
then look under Technical, then search for the thread about this exact topic. Its a current thread with loads of detail about all the little things.

Basically you should take my advice over any crap you hear from other people because i'm one of only a few people to have even attempted this.

rather than go on at length here, read the thread and then get back to me with questions if you are serious.

Here's some proof that the E-series does fit...(see pic)
Since the photo was taken, the engine bay is almost finished.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks, i know the bellhousing will have to be a custom due to the starter motor being on the other side. other than that, mounts are the same and I am placing a holley 451 4 barrel on top and running it with no computer, single rail 4 spd and 3.23 gears. extractors and a 2.5" exhaust system. Thanks all Dale 0409598948

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
I'm sure with some minor mods you could just drop the engine/mounts from an XG/XH in there.

·
Registered
354 Posts
aaron_hogan said:
Basically you should take my advice over any crap you hear from other people because i'm one of only a few people to have even attempted this.

did u ever finish it?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I think I've mentioned this in another thread:

Check out back issues of Performance Ford magazines. At the very back of the mag there's a reader's cars section. There was an XE GL featured with an ED engine & auto transplanted in it, so it is doable (also, the picture in one of the above posts is kinda convincing too ;)). Shouldn't be too expensive either (compared to other engine conversions, ie V8 conversions, etc)

-Dave-

·
true blue thru & thru
1,387 Posts
i think this would be a great conversion,
the 3.9 MPFI engines are great. my mums ea has plenty of stick.

hmmmm...
my XE is getting pretty boring and rundown.
and mums EA is outta rego.......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts