Ford Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Probe GT
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finnaly sick and tired enough of all the little noises inside my probe. :bw:Have any of you guys found ways of eliminating rattles such as foam or somethin like that. I have rattling from the dash board, mirror (rear view), hatch and several other unidentified rattles. So anythin worked for you guy's or any suggestions?
Eric

·
Hardcore GL Tuning
95 Posts
Rattles...

I used 1/4" foam tape (single sided) from home depot and that seemed to clear up much of the rattling from inside the trunk. My doors dont rattle much thanks to the dynamat I put in for the speakers. As for the dash...ummm....yeah, mine still rattles some! good luck.

·
turbo PGLer
46 Posts
I went straight to the source...

Most rattles are caused by imperfections. Imperfections are caused by unwanted movement, that's why the cars don't rattle from the factory, you guys know what I mean, I'm sure.
Anyway, ITW foamseal makes a special foam that you inject into your frame and it makes the car more solid, and less chassis flex (so good that it's just like putting on front and rear upper and lower strut braces, or any brace of the like. It even makes the car handle more aggressively. It got rid of MOST of my rattles, but it's hard to say what it would do to yours, at the last point of driving the car, I still had no interior, and screws that were just sitting in their holes as well as on the floor rattled and moved. There was still a rattle in my dash that I still have not figured it out, but I have 3 dashes, so I will continue to change them out until I get the quiet one.

·
Probeless Moderator
196 Posts
i usually have stereo turned up, so they don't really bother me. but i would try the home depod idea. sounds like it should work pretty well.

·
Hardcore GL Tuner
112 Posts
squeeks n creeeeks hmmmmm dont have any in my car doh thats right i have a new interior.......but ne way yah the home depot idea sounds like it would work

·
Hardcore GL Tuning
95 Posts
Trust me, it works!

As I said earlier, I used the 1/4 inch foam sided tape to place between the panels ( u know, to act as a cushion), and the noise is pretty much damped out. And the nice thing about it is the price: CHEAP!

·
Probe Member
106 Posts
Anybody have a rattle on the passenger's side front windshield vent area? I do. I tried all kinds of wedges and stuff to make it be quiet and nothing works except my hand holding the damn thing down :angry: It's too close to the glass, and too brittle of a plastic for me to want to be messing with it a lot :(

·
Probe GT
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My car squeeks in that area but not the vent. and I know exactly how you feel about brittle plastic I am scared to take anything off for fear it might break or not go back on right.

·
turbo PGLer
46 Posts
Have you thought about putting foam between the dash and the windshield? That's about the only thing that I can think of that would do it. I've had our dashes out, and they're pretty hollow up by the windshield.

Just a thought...

·
Probe GT
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats a good idea I think I will go to home depot and get a bunch of that foam strip stuff and go to town all over the car.
Thank you all!

·
Hardcore GL Tuning
95 Posts
Good luck and I hope it works out for you as it did for me!

·
Hardcore GL Tuning
95 Posts
For those of you who tried the foam tape...

Did it work? Just curious if it worked as well for any of you as it did for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts