Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Bronco Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '92 Bronco with a 302. Several months ago I put new wires, new spark plugs, and a new ignition coil. About 3 days later the idle jumped up from normal to 1500 rpms. I was wondering if anybody else has had this problem. I was told by a mechanic friend it might be the EGR valve or the idle air control. I was wondering if it might have something to do with the computer before I start replacing stuff. Thanks!

·
Multi Ford Member
28 Posts
I had a similiar problem with my 91 302. It was the intake manifold gasket where the top runners join the base manifold. If you cleaned your throttle plates with spray cleaner with it still on the truck, it will dissolve the gasket. You might try putting on a good leather glove, start the truck with a warm motor, diconnect the intake tubes and coverup the passageway for the idle/air with your finger. If it still runs fast, it's the gasket. If it goes back to a slow idle, the idle/air is bad. Make sure you have the glove on or it will suck your finger off.

·
Bronco Member
31 Posts
Fluctuating idle...

Rebland,
I took off the throttle body and seriously cleaned it. Mine was thick with sludge on the backside, and the butterfly plate was not closing properly. I thought it was the EGR valve at first -- that is what the Haynes manual says might be at fault. Try it, see what happens.

Paul_NO

1 - 3 of 3 Posts